Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Suspicious looking slab

Recently I was given a NGC MS 69 1/10 oz. 2002 gold eagle by JadeRareCoin. The coin was an upgrade of the silver coin I was supposed to recieve from JohnZ but never got. (From the essay competition).

Anyway, when I looked at the bottom of the slab on the edge of it (the reeded edge), I noticed what appeared to be a small crack that had been filled in. I'm not sure if this is how NGC seals their slabs or not, it just appeared suspicious. I took out my 10x B&L triplet loupe and it appeared that some clear glue like liquid had filled in a small hole where the crack was. It could just be me.. is it possible this slab could be a counterfeit, or have been doctored with? I never got a response back from JadeRareCoin.

Diagram 1.0.

(---------------------)
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
L---------------------

(!~!~!~!!~Sorry about the crude drawing. My dad took away my mouse as a punishment so only have my keyboard to navigate the internet. He took it away thinking it would keep me off. I was smarter than he thought. So since I have no mouse, I could not get the right verticle side of the slab drawn. The diagram of the slab is drawn in a birds eye view dimension; you are looking down at it. The stars represent where the apparant crack is.

Comments

• Options
    ddbirdddbird Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭
    I think that just is how NGC does it..most of my slabs have small crack lines. If your dad took away your mouse...dont you think he didnt want you on at all. If you comply with his request Im sure you will have your mouse back sooner rather than later!
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    The slab is fine.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    So you're saying that it looks like this: l''''''''''''''''''''''''''';;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;l;l]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

Sounds bad should look more like this: \\\\\\\\\\\''''''''''''''''''''''..................

coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options

<< <i>My dad took away my mouse as a punishment so only have my keyboard to navigate the internet. He took it away thinking it would keep me off. I was smarter than he thought. >>

I think the slab is fine and you have other things you should worry about.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    TUMUSSTUMUSS Posts: 2,207
    All of my NGC slabs look like this:

[[[[[[[[[[[[]]]]]]]]]]]]]

but I got one that looks like this...

<zzzzzzzzzzzz##~`

...oops...sorry that's not a slab image
  • Options
    So how was boot camp?
  • Options

Diagram 1.0.

(---------------------)
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    |
    L---------------------
    Realtime National Debt Clock:

• Options
    A couple of my NGC slabs have what look like glue dots at each end. Don't think they actually are glue though. I just figured it was the way it was made before being sealed.

Jerry
  • Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    OH NO!!! NOT AGAIN!!!
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    You got off easy. When I was a youngin my dad took the computer away for punishment and left me the mouse to play with.
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

From your diagram, it sure sounds suspicicous to me. I've never seen anything like it.

I don't think I would be able to sleep until I cracked it out and sent it in to NGC for re-slabbing.

It could be fake. It would keep me awake all night wondering if it was real.

My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    You know, I hate to say it but your really starting to annoy me. A dealer sends you a gold coin and you B ! T C H about it. Jade is a very good dealer and would never rip anyone! Maybe they are busy, and haven't had time to post. You could have looked them up on switchboard and given them a call! You should be thanking them that they care enough about YNs to even send the coin to you. Now go and clean your room and stay out of trouble until you get your mouse back. BTW, be sure to call Dennis and James and say "THANK YOU"
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    You tell him, Mad One!

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

<< <i>You know, I hate to say it but your really starting to annoy me. A dealer sends you a gold coin and you B ! T C H about it. Jade is a very good dealer and would never rip anyone! Maybe they are busy, and haven't had time to post. You could have looked them up on switchboard and given them a call! You should be thanking them that they care enough about YNs to even send the coin to you. Now go and clean your room and stay out of trouble until you get your mouse back. BTW, be sure to call Dennis and James and say "THANK YOU" >>

I know JadeRareCoin is a good dealer, I'm not saying he ripped me off. I'm just saying I noticed something suspicious on the NGC slab that I haven't seen before on any of my other slabs (It happens to be the only NGC one I have so far). I think JadeRareCoin is a real nice person, and I did thank him and the other people who donated towards it. I was just wondering why I didn't get a resonpose from him, as he usually replies back very fast. I guess he was busy, no big deal. My parents told me not to mention this apparant problem on these boards for the exact reason you are feeling right now.
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭

<< <i> I'm just saying I noticed something suspicious on the NGC slab that I haven't seen before on any of my other slabs (It happens to be the only NGC one I have so far). >>

Then how do you know it's suspicous? If you were really wondering you could have called NGC and asked them about it!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options

<< <i>I'm just saying I noticed something suspicious on the NGC slab that I haven't seen before on any of my other slabs (It happens to be the only NGC one I have so far >>

Hmmmm. Thats good logic.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    After reading this, I'm quite sure a year at Gitmo might solve your problem.

Ever hear of not looking a gift horse in the mouth ???? image
  • Options
    TUMUSSTUMUSS Posts: 2,207

<< <i>You got off easy. When I was a youngin my dad took the computer away for punishment and left me the mouse to play with. >>

Then you had to walk 8 miles through the snow - uphill both ways - to get to it!

too funny...
  • Options
    Michael Palin: Ahh.. Very passable, this, very passable.

Graham Chapman: Nothing like a good glass of Chateau de Chassilier wine, ay Gessiah?

Terry Gilliam: You're right there Obediah.

Eric Idle: Who'd a thought thirty years ago we'd all be sittin' here drinking Chateau de Chassilier wine?

MP: Aye. In them days, we'd a' been glad to have the price of a cup o' tea.

GC: A cup ' COLD tea.

EI: Without milk or sugar.

TG: OR tea!

MP: In a filthy, cracked cup.

EI: We never used to have a cup. We used to have to drink out of a rolled up newspaper.

GC: The best WE could manage was to suck on a piece of damp cloth.

TG: But you know, we were happy in those days, though we were poor.

MP: Aye. BECAUSE we were poor. My old Dad used to say to me, "Money doesn't buy you happiness."

EI: 'E was right. I was happier then and I had NOTHIN'. We used to live in this tiiiny old house, with greaaaaat big holes in the roof.

GC: House? You were lucky to have a HOUSE! We used to live in one room, all hundred and twenty-six of us, no furniture. Half the floor was missing; we were all huddled together in one corner for fear of FALLING!

TG: You were lucky to have a ROOM! We used to have to live in a corridor!

MP: Ohhhh we used to DREAM of livin' in a corridor! Woulda' been a palace to us. We used to live in an old water tank on a rubbish tip. We got woken up every morning by having a load of rotting fish dumped all over us! House!? Hmph.

EI: Well when I say "house" it was only a hole in the ground covered by a piece of tarpolin, but it was a house to US.

GC: We were evicted from our hole in the ground; we had to go and live in a lake!

TG: You were lucky to have a LAKE! There were a hundred and sixty of us living in a small shoebox in the middle of the road.

MP: Cardboard box?

TG: Aye.

MP: You were lucky. We lived for three months in a brown paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six o'clock in the morning, clean the bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down mill for fourteen hours a day week in-week out. When we got home, our Dad would thrash us to sleep with his belt!

GC: Luxury. We used to have to get out of the lake at three o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of hot gravel, go to work at the mill every day for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would beat us around the head and neck with a broken bottle, if we were LUCKY!

TG: Well we had it tough. We used to have to get up out of the shoebox at twelve o'clock at night, and LICK the road clean with our tongues. We had half a handful of freezing cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at the mill for fourpence every six years, and when we got home, our Dad would slice us in two with a bread knife.

EI: Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, eat a lump of cold poison, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad would kill us, and dance about on our graves singing "Hallelujah."

MP: But you try and tell the young people today that... and they won't believe ya'.

ALL: Nope, nope..

• Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You got off easy. When I was a youngin my dad took the computer away for punishment and left me the mouse to play with. >>

Hmm....when I was a youngin there was no such thing as a computer and mouse for under $5 grand. We got little touch pad thingys with casette drives and paid $500 for them. They called those thingys computers, but we all know better now.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • Options
    ccexccex Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Hmm....when I was a youngin there was no such thing as a computer and mouse for under $5 grand. We got little touch pad thingys with casette drives and paid $500 for them. They called those thingys computers, but we all know better now. >>

Hmm.. when I was a youngin I had to beg the local college's record keeper to let me play with the punchcards and 300 baud teletypes. My dad would have flushed a mouse down the toilet. Of course this was in the early '70s when it was illegal to own gold coins, and when I could buy rolls of silver half dollars at the bank for less than today's slabbing fees.
    "Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity" - Hanlon's Razor
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345

<< <i>

<< <i>You know, I hate to say it but your really starting to annoy me. A dealer sends you a gold coin and you B ! T C H about it. Jade is a very good dealer and would never rip anyone! Maybe they are busy, and haven't had time to post. You could have looked them up on switchboard and given them a call! You should be thanking them that they care enough about YNs to even send the coin to you. Now go and clean your room and stay out of trouble until you get your mouse back. BTW, be sure to call Dennis and James and say "THANK YOU" >>

I know JadeRareCoin is a good dealer, I'm not saying he ripped me off. I'm just saying I noticed something suspicious on the NGC slab that I haven't seen before on any of my other slabs (It happens to be the only NGC one I have so far). I think JadeRareCoin is a real nice person, and I did thank him and the other people who donated towards it. I was just wondering why I didn't get a resonpose from him, as he usually replies back very fast. I guess he was busy, no big deal. My parents told me not to mention this apparant problem on these boards for the exact reason you are feeling right now. >>

And you din't listen to your parents. Bad boy!image
  • Options
    I never got a response back from JadeRareCoin.

Shocker.

My dad took away my mouse as a punishment so only have my keyboard to navigate the internet. He took it away thinking it would keep me off. I was smarter than he thought.

Damn.
    Realtime National Debt Clock:

• Options
    "My dad took away my mouse as a punishment"

"My parents told me not to mention this apparant problem on these boards for the exact reason you are feeling right now"

Question....Is there some compelling reason you can't or will not listen to your parents??

I just don't get it !!!

Herb
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you should send the coin back and demand a full refund!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file