Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

I just purchased a French Sower

What do you think of it? I will get some better pics when it arrives. Do you think that the MS-65 grade would be correct? I do not know what the going rate for them is, I gave $21.00 for this one.image

Comments

• Options
    MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    Looks grand!image
  • Options
    Nice one at a fair price.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    I personally wouldn't go that far. With catalog value (2003) admittedly a little low at $3.50 in Unc the mintage of over 57 million (2nd highest for the silver version) makes them common enough not to have to go a lot higher. Toning, in my opinion, isn't reason enough to go that high either.
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Options
    The price must have gone done from 1998 to 2003 because my Krause lists the coin at $5. I am satisfied with the purchase and that is all that matters to me.image
  • Options
    That's what's important! After all, it's just a hobby!
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Options
    And it is also just money. Like my father always says "You can't take it with you."image
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

<< <i>And it is also just money. Like my father always says "You can't take it with you."image >>

You can't? I wish I had known this BEFORE I had pockets sewn into my burial shuoud and a special coffin built with a safe in it.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    I think you did great CoinAddict. The very low Krause prices, don't seem to reflect the market for these extremely popular French coins . My understanding is that in gem unc conditions such as this one,they're much scarcer than the German marks of the time, similarly valued in Krause. In grades above 65 and with pretty toning they can and usually do go very high.
    Dimitri

DPOTD-1
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    I see these sowers all over the board price-wise at coin stores. Some dealers who have them but aren't "tuned in" to world coins
    tend to be closer to catalog pricing.
    Other coin stores who are very aware have jacked up prices to high market or beyond because of the perception that they're under-valued and will increase in value, some say dramatically.

The "French Walker", La Semeuse, is a coin with a lot of popularity on the Lightside, and those Lightsiders probably bring a lot of their willingness to spend for the right grade with them, and that will also push up prices.

Personally, I'm delighted; these coins are under-rated and a real treat for the eye, with either bright luster or the colorful toning that many sowers tend to exhibit.
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    gorgous!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    hookedoncoinshookedoncoins Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭

Nice coin! I have been meaning to pick one of these up for some time now.