Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

GOETZ: Christhead and 10K Post

Hi All, I wanted to make a special post for the marking of my 10,000th post here at CU and couldn’t have had a better Goetz piece than this to celebrate the occasion with. As a matter of fact, I have been holding on to this medal for several months in anticipation. I was lucky enough to win this piece in a German auction at the first of July and am still in awe of its beauty.

I contacted Gunter Kienast shortly after receiving this piece and this is what he had to say;

“Hi, Scott: It is indeed a fine specimen of Goetz's talent to craft beautiful portraits. I am almost certain that the number 698 is from Karl Goetz's hand. Because the theme of 698 is marriage, and Christ has been a symbol of weddings on several Goetz medals.

It pays sometimes to re-read ones book. I browsed through my Volume II and find an interesting little note on page ix. The last paragraph on page ix of the book, mentioned the history of the so-called Druckbuch (proof book). I now remember how it came to the use of this book. When visiting Guido Goetz in person in his house in Munich in June 1985 it became quite clear that a number of medals were cut into dies by Karl Goetz, but were not listed in Volume I. I am not sure, but believe, that the Druckbook was numbered by Karl Goetz during his lifetime, continuous from the last symbolic medal of his life as opus 633. When one looks at opus 698 we know that a Hans Brunner married a Julia Miller in the city of Augsburg on Feb. 1911 How then, one wonders, does the image of Christ on your unlisted piece, connects to the die cut of 698? My theory is that (may be) a later version was planned to join the Christhead with the die cut image of opus 698. Whether it became reality, we may not ever know. I go one step further and guess that Karl Goetz would not just have made a new medal with both images, but also would have completed it with some words on the Christhead side. Again, just speculation. A Sherlock Holmes however, would not have rested until he would have interviewed all the parties to the deed. It would be most interesting to follow the provenance of the Christhead design. Who were the previous owners, what do they know about Mr. and Mrs. Brunner?

But my thoughts may go way beyond the "collecting of commemorative medals" angle. Needless to say, this your latest acquisition is a credit to your dedication to Karl Goetz medals. I cannot help myself, even now, after looking at it time after time, I believe the Christhead design is incomplete. I believe every word when you say that the medal "belies the actual beauty of the piece". One can sense that!

Take care, Scott

Gunter .”

This piece is unique and my most prized Goetz acquisition to date. My only hope is that all of you can receive some enjoyment from it too.

Christhead (Christuskopf, No Date (o.j.) presumed 1911, 49mm, Cu-silverplate (versilbert), uniface (einseitig), XF (Vorzüglich), UNIQUE

And while I have your attention, I'd like to thank all of you darksiders for making this forum what it is!! Scott

Comments

• Options
    That's quite a generous 10k giveaway.image
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    Truely awesome piece. It must be quite a wonderful feeling to own a unique piece of art like this.

P.S. Have you chosen a title yet?
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭
    No title yet...I think I'll wait until I get back from Russia to decide...maybe something on the trip will inspire me...

BTW, What do you do to get the title? Do you have to contact Admin?
  • Options
    In honor of your 10000th post - I think I'll go eat some corn and get back wit yas image
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Conga-rats on reaching 10k!image

If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    You have to contact Carol for a title. I don't think SM1 has the authority.

How about somehting along the lines of "Official Forum Troll Slayer"image
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    Took ya long enough! You should cheet more. image
    Glock: the original point and click interface.
    The Second Amendment is in place in case they ignore the others.
    Guns have only two enemies, rust and liberals.
    Criminals love gun control, it makes their profession safer.
    If guns are outlawed can we use swords?
    A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone
  • Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the great giveaway! Please enter me. image
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing, and enter me as well. imageimage
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    Amazing! image and congrats on the 10K.
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    bozboz Posts: 1,405
    Fantastic piece.

Happy 10Kimage
    The great use of life is to spend it on something that will outlast it--James Truslow Adams
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    A truly outstanding and amazing piece, Scott!!! image I'm tempted to agree with Gunther on his supposition, but I frankly believe it doesn't need to have had text added. It's possible that Goetz wasn't sure himself and struck this trial piece to assess whether it spoke just as well on its own. Furthermore, a generic wedding medal obverse with a variety of possible reverses unique to the customer was a common practice in Europe at the time. When you look at his sensitive handling of religious figures and themes, I could see him adopting either approach in this instance.

Congratulations on your 10,000th!! image I can remember you once remarking that it would be many years before you got anywhere near that number of posts. I'm glad -- and I know I'm speaking for the whole Dark Side -- that you proved yourself wrong in that regard. I'm also glad to have had a small role in "turning you on" to Goetz and encouraging you along the way!!

Buenissimo!
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    So who wrote 698 on the back of it in pen?
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    The image makes the "698" appear blue but it is really incised into the medal. Karl Goetz wrote it to reference the reverse of a wedding medal he had already created.

Askari, this is a cast piece...I know it can become confusing due to the quality of Goetz's casting expertise. What I wonder about it is why he went to the trouble to incise his signature into the piece if it was just a trial...also, why would he go to the trouble to plate in silver too? I am going to take Gunters suggestion and see if I can find out anything from the auctionhouse as to the previous owners...not always possible but I have to try.
  • Options

<< <i>What I wonder about it is why he went to the trouble to incise his signature into the piece if it was just a trial...also, why would he go to the trouble to plate in silver too? >>

I've seen cast trial pieces with incised signatures. Maybe it was a sort of "copyright"; I don't know for sure. As for plating, well, if it's a trial piece, he'd certainly want to know what it looked like. Medal designs vary in which metal best shows them off. Often, IMHO, bronze looks better than silver, but there are designs that look better in silver than in bronze. Alternatively, it's cheaper to cast a silverplated bronze than a silver medal trial.
    Askari

• Options
    Well regarding Goetz medals this is the first trial I'd seen with his name. Regarding the silver plating, I think he was familiar enough with the materials he worked with to, in his "mind's eye", know what the piece would look like in it's finished state...I don't know...it's all conjecture anyway since he didn't leave much history behind but his work.
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    When first encountered,
    this forum was a fascinating thing,
    peopled by strange characters
    with odd names. Over time,
    these anonymous figures became personalities
    with a variety of numismatic gifts.
    One of my earliest appreciations
    was of Cacheman, an enigmatic figure
    cloaked as Fat Freddy, who showed
    exquisite medals and coins.
    I have learned much from him
    (as well as others), and visit
    his Goetz web page often.
    He has now exhibited the persistence
    necessary to be named as he would be-
    no small feat! 10,000 posts...
    More than a few of which showed off a wit
    at once gentle or scathing as the
    opportunity required.imageimage
    More than that, he has provided interested forum members
    with an invaluable education on pieces
    they might never have been aware of otherwise.
    He has created a website which stands tall
    in the internet world and will no doubt
    become a leading Goetz authority.
    He has epitomized what a forum member
    should be- an educator in his field, willing
    to help any who need it.
    So now, how do I congratulate you?

Why, by saying goetz thee to a distillery!image
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    image Gee, that was cool......thanks laurent, I mean that...image Scott
  • Options
    oldshepoldshep Posts: 3,240
    Truely outstanding!!!!!!!!!
    Shep
  • Options
    ClankeyeClankeye Posts: 3,928
    Congratulations on the ten thousands posts, and for being the caretaker of such a striking work of art.

I have learned much from your pictures and your posts about Mr. Goetz. I thank you for that.

Clankeye
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on the 10K Scott, each one of your threads was like a history lesson with wonderful illustration. Thank you.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    A great and well-deserved tribute from our poet laureate (or is that "poet laurent"?)!!image Huzzah!! Huzzah!! Huzzah!! image

imageimage
    Askari

• Options
    Cacheman, congrats on the 10k. Love the medal.image
  • Options
    <<I am going to take Gunters suggestion and see if I can find out anything from the auction house as to the previous owners...not always possible but I have to try. >>

Good luck. Everytime I've asked question about current or previous owners from auction houses they refused siting that is privileged and private information.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    "Good luck. Everytime I've asked question about current or previous owners from auction houses they refused siting that is privileged and private information. "

Me too, but sometimes in europe if one dealer/auctionhouse doesn't tell you another might or they will make contact for you and ask the previous owner to initiate contact with the new owner if they are so inclined. Not always but sometimes.
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    As always, a joy!!!
    Becky