Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Silver Proof Set Returns

19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
I returned my silver proof sets back in early August and was wondering what happens next? Having never returned anything to the Mint before I'm wondering will they notify me that the product was returned? Will they just ship replacements on the next shipping date? What??
Can anybody give me a clue?
I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

Comments

• Options
    What did you ask for? replacement? refund?

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    Hi

I returned a silver quarter set just after they came out and requested a replacement. However, the US mint put a credit back on my visa card instead. Plus they only credited me with the item cost and not the shipping. I seem to remember getting an (automated) email from them saying that they credited my account rather than ship another item without a reason, but I think the quarter set had sold out by the time they received my return. I would like to hear from anyone that has received a replacement item from the US mint without losing money on the shipping.

Dr J
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    I checked the replacement box.

The card was billed on 7/30 for the purchase but no other transactions have been recorded. I mailed the stuff back insured on 8/6 but have heard nothing back from the mint or the fulfillment center.

I guess I was expecting sometype of notification that the product had been returned and that a replacement would be shipped but, nothing!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    I'm on day 60 awaiting my replacement for a proof set. After a few frustrating calls to Customer Care, I finally got someone that I thought was helpful. He said that it should arrive within a week.....well that was on 8/4 and nothing yet. He also said that it takes 30 to 45 days after receiving the return to get a replacement. They must work from a different calendar. This is like dealing with the government...oh, wait, I am.....

I have 2 silver proofs that need to be sent back, but I'm holding off until this is resolved. Is there anyone planning on cracking a set want to buy mine? On one set, the case already has a crack in it to make it easier! The other set has a nickel that has the most hideous goop on it.
    "If at first you don't succeed, perhaps parachuting isn't for you."
  • Options
    I sent back one silver proof set on 08/03. USPS shows they received it 08/06 and nothing yet. Customer service acknowledges they received them back and can not understand why no replacement set had been issued yet. They put a note on my account and said "there that should make someone do something.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    richrich Posts: 364
    Just do what I do.I order twice as many as I need and just keep the best ones!That way you don't have to go thru that BullS**t!image

1997 Matte Nickel strike thru U
    "Error Collector- I Love Dem Crazy Coins"
    "Money, what is money? It is loaned to a man; he comes into the world with nothing and he leaves with nothing." Billy Durant. Founder of General Motors. He died a pauper.
  • Options
    In an order for 10 1999 silver proof sets, got the box and decided to look at them instead of just putting them in the safe. 8 good, nice new boxes, two that looked they had been run over by a truck.
    One of the 18 wheelers was OK for the coins, the other had 2 sets of the silver half, dime, etc, etc.
    NO QUARTERS!
    This WAS just about the time they SOLD OUT and there is no doubt in my mind that these 2 sets were returns they were attempting to pass off on someone without even bothering to check what was returned.
    About a month after they sold out, I got a perfect replacment set, VIA Regerstered mail, and that WAS after they posted a SOLD OUT!
    I ALWAYS check anything I get from the MINT!
    They changed to a different delivery system in 2000 and the switch over caused many like me to place additional orders because our initial orders should have been delivered and they wern't.
    That was a bad year for the mint.
  • Options
    FaustFaust Posts: 118 ✭✭
    It takes a long time for them to process a refund. I'm waiting about 3 weeks on my 2004 silver proof returns. Btw, you can get a refund on your return shipping. You just have to call them and request it. Sometimes they ask for a copy of the shipping reciept, which you can fax to them.

-Tony
  • Options
    if you would look at the web site you would see that it sez 9-13-2004 these will be released. maybe there is a delay in releasing new sets
  • Options
    Has anybody received their replacements yet? Faust? Cosmicdebris? 19Lyds? I'm on day 81 and nothing yet. I just called and of course they are at lunch so no one can help me. image
    "If at first you don't succeed, perhaps parachuting isn't for you."
  • Options
    FaustFaust Posts: 118 ✭✭
    Trezo,
    They're back in stock so you'll probably get them soon. They just shipped my replacements. The company they outsource the shipping and returns to is very slow. It took over 6 weeks just for them to acknowledge my returns.

-Tony
  • Options

BTW - The sets you sent back are put right back on the shelf for redistribution.

So if you think you are getting a brand new fresh set that has never been opened when buying from the US Mint - that might not be the case!
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    I usually just wait and buy my proof sets at a show where I can look at them first. Then I don't have to mess with the Folks at the Mint!
    Banned for Life from The Evil Empire™!
    Looking for Nationals, Large VF to AU type, 1928 Gold, and WWII Emergency notes. Also a few nice Buffalo Nickels and Morgan Dollars.
    Monty...
  • Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    Relayer, you are wrong about the U.S. Mint sending a returned proof set back out. When the 1999s were sold the procedure was to make a number of sets above the limit for returns. Thus, when you returned a set it was destroyed and another one from the replacement pool was sent out. I dont know how they do this today, but that was the procedure 5 years ago.

I do know that returns are often kept for a long time, so I can firmly state they are not just sent out again.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file