Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

CONTEST: So How Easy or Tough Are 1981(s) TY 1 Lincoln Cents To Slab in PCGS-PR69DCAM - PRIZE!!

I just got in some PCGS-PR70DCAM coins dated 1981(s) from a large bulk deal of (400) fresh 1981(s) Proof Sets submitted to PCGS. I was really hoping the fresh 400 Proof set batch would have graded at least -1- PCGS-PR70DCAM Ty 1 Lincoln cent for my collection (every other denomination yielded PR70 coins), but it did not. But, how many 1981(s) Lincoln cents in PCGS-PR69DCAM Ty 1 did the 400 proof set batch yield? First person to guess the exact number of 1981(s) Ty 1 PCGS-PR69DCAM Lincolns graded from the 400 proof sets wins a handpicked "monster deep cameo" PCGS-PR69DCAM Lincoln cent (date my choice, but, I will sort through my "special" inventory to hopefully find a super PR69DCAM monster DCAM specimen from the 1990's or possibly even the 1980's).

One guess per board member. Have fun and good luck!

Wondercoin
Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

Comments

• Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    My guess is 37 image
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    Dan
  • Options
    Forgot my guess...400 lol
    Dan
  • Options
    0 none
    littlejohn
  • Options
    DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    I'll guess 154

Dan
  • Options
    Hey Mitch how much is this POP 1 Mintage 1 worth? image

• Options
    My guess is 69 LOL
  • Options
    36 is my guess if it is not that it is within 2 somewhere between 34-36

36 is my final answere
    9/11/01 NEVER FORGET

12/14/03 Bremer Confirms U.S. Captured Saddam

Joe Holt

joe_holt@bellsouth.net
  • Options
    DatentypeDatentype Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    My guess is that they misslabled all of them and there are 0
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leo: You have a great coin there in the 97 Plat (but, let's not discuss that on this particular thread). You know the old saying about whatever the willing buyer and willing seller are able to work out on price image

Mark - All Lincolns were labeled correctly.

If no one guesses the exact answer I will award the prize to the board member whos guess was closest to the right answer without going over the correct number. If (2) or more board members have a winning guess - the first in time wins the prize. I will announce the answer in less than 2 hours at 11:00 p.m. CA time tonight.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Hey Wondercoin,

Sorry about no 70's

My guess = 282 Pr69DCAMs out of a well picked batch of 400.

Better luck next time.

CLifimage
    Looking for High End Low Pop PCGS Coins.
  • Options
    coolkarmacoolkarma Posts: 512 ✭✭
    Mitch,
    The pop report indicates that 600 1981-s Type 1 lincolns have graded pr69Dcam or better out of 826 submitted. Assuming your "fresh" batch matched the average (and rounding down since I don't want to go over), my guess is 290. If you had handpicked the sets, naturally, I would have rounded up!

• Options
    Myself I looked at the pop as of this week to the July book and showed a change of 36 in 69dc 2 in 68dc and 1 in 67dc so i figured he got them all but if not I say between 34-36
    9/11/01 NEVER FORGET

12/14/03 Bremer Confirms U.S. Captured Saddam

Joe Holt

joe_holt@bellsouth.net
  • Options
    PCGS sets under The Thomas Collections. Modern Commemoratives @ NGC under "One Coin at a Time". USMC Active 1966 thru 1970" The real War.
  • Options
    RRRR Posts: 627 ✭✭✭
    A big 305, Mitch.

RR
    <html />
  • Options
    Before I announce the correct answer and the winner to the contest, I have a couple general comments, if I may.

One of the interesting things about some proof moderns, such as pre-1982 Lincoln cents, is that, in my experience, many of the coins which are slabbed come about through large "bulk" submissions, such as the (400) 1981(s) Proof sets submitted here. Yet, PCGS does not count the coins which do not achieve the particular minimum grade assigned to the bulk submission - in this case 390/400 Lincoln Cents actually graded by PCGS, but, failing to achieve the minimum grade of PR69DCAM and never getting holdered.

Consider the current online PCGS population on 1981(s) TY 1 Lincolns: there are 826 total coins (in RED) showing in the pop report, of which -8- are in the grade of PR70DCAM, 592 are in the grade of PR69DCAM, 105 in the grade of PR68DCAM and 121 in graded PR62 through PR67.

One of the board members formulated his guess with this comment:

"Mitch,
    The pop report indicates that 600 1981-s Type 1 lincolns have graded pr69Dcam or better out of 826 submitted. Assuming your "fresh" batch matched the average (and rounding down since I don't want to go over), my guess is 290. If you had handpicked the sets, naturally, I would have rounded up!"

The above comment demonstrates that the typical collector (even an advanced collector) might naturally assume that basically 1/100 coins submitted grade PR70DCAM and nearly 75% of all coins submitted are at least of PR69DCAM quality. Yet, just from this one single batch this week, we see that 390 sub-PR69DCAM coins never found their way into the PCGS pop report. Hence, in the case of 1981(s) Lincoln cents, I believe the pop numbers are heavily skewed in favor of the misconception that nearly 75% of all 1981(s) Lincolns from Proof sets are of PR69DCAM quality (when, in this sample, a mere 2.5% were of PR69DCAM quality!) Basically, PCGS does not maintain records on exactly how many coins fail to achieve a minimum grade so we really do not have a handle on exactly how many proof sets are being broken up to "make" these PR69DCAM and better coins.

NOW THE FOLLOWING DISCUSSION IS BEING LAID OUT BY A NOVICE (ME) IN THE FIELD OF STATISTICS - I WILL STATE UP FRONT THE NUMBERS I COME UP WITH ARE PROBABLY WRONG - BUT, DOES ANYONE TRULY HAVE A HANDLE ON WHAT THE RIGHT NUMBERS ARE?

At a 2.5% grade through rate for 1981(s) PR69DCAM Lincolns and assuming a significant portion of the existing (592) PR69DCAM coins were slabbed through bulk grading (does anyone really knows just how many made it in the pop report through bulk grading vs. non-bulk grading?) - exactly how many proof sets were broken up to achieve the (592) PR69DCAM coins? Using a 2.5% grade through rate (and by no means does this one bulk submission prove 2.5% is the right figure), it might require 23,680 fresh, random, sets to get (592) PR69DCAM 1981(s) coins!! Moreover, applying the ratio of 8 PR70DCAM compared to 592 PR69DCAM (1.35% of the coins are PR70DCAM and 98.65% of the coins are PR69DCAM (vis a vis only those (2) slabbed grades) - one might need as many as roughly 150,000 1981(s) Proof sets to slab a PCGS-PR70DCAM Lincoln cent on average (again, assuming my (faulty) 2.5% grade through rate and any advanced knowledge of statistics which I admit I do not possess)!! OK - let's assume my 150,000 figure is wrong for a PR70DCAM Lincoln and my 23,680 is wrong for a PR69DCAM Lincoln -still, inquiring minds would like to know exactly how many unopened sets of 1981(s) coins it does take on average to slab these Lincolns?

When moderns are discussed, I often see folks "throwing the baby out with the bathwater". While (400) fresh sets of 2004 proof coins might possibly yield 350+ PR69DCAM coins (and, therefore, an easy calculation as well on how scarce or common PR70DCAM coins are as well) - when one begin to discuss proofs from the 1970's and early 1980's, my continuing research demonstrates that many of the pre-1982 proof coins are extremely difficult to locate in PR69DCAM and PR70DCAM (depending upon the coin). On the other hand, a huge percentage of every 2004(s) Lincoln cent struck by the mint these days is of PR69DCAM quality I believe.

Anyway, I just thought this would be interesting "food for thought" as I am personally fascinated by many of the higher grade proof coins struck between 1950 and the early to mid- 1980"s. I hope you also enjoyed the contest.

The answer here is -10- PCGS-PR69DCAM Lincolns out of (400) fresh and original 1981 Proof Sets!! Mark Wood is our winner - he guessed 7. Mark - a super guess!! Congratulations on winning the contest.

Wondercoin
  • Options
    My guess is 12 pieces.

Mike

About Rare Coins
    Mike

About Rare Coins
    12562-B Central Ave
    Chino, CA 91710
    mike@gemcoins.net
    www.gemcoins.net
  • Options
    Darn I guess I was too late with my answer but it seems I was the closest.

Mike

About Rare Coins
    Mike

About Rare Coins
    12562-B Central Ave
    Chino, CA 91710
    mike@gemcoins.net
    www.gemcoins.net
  • Options
    CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,030 ✭✭✭
    Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,646 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wondercoin, That was a very good description of what it takes to make a PR69DCAM. Alot of classic collectors (ie: 1793-1964) on this board seem to think that moderns are a waste of time and space.

I really received alot of info from reading this post and I for one appreciate it.

By the way, I would have guessed less then 100 would have been PR69DCAM.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Mitch,
    Thank you for your insight into PCGS modern proof top pop numbers and their grading. It helps me understand a current submission I made.
    A little background, if I may. I have collected all the Lincoln cent memorial proofs over the years. Most were from proof sets I got from the US Mint and some earlier ones were raw. Last year I submitted them all to PCGS for grading to get into the registry. The results are shown in my memorial BASIC registry. This year I got the proof set from the US Mint and sent it in immediately for grading. I was very careful in the transfer. I got the results last week. They graded my 2004 Lincoln as PR68DCAM, one of only 2 graded so far. I was disappointed and immediately went on EBAY and ordered a PR69DCAM. Both coins arrived yesterday. I compared them and I could see that the PR69DCAM did have a superior cameo than my proof set coin.
    So, based on what you said in this thread, it was really stupid of me to try to "make" one of these modern Lincoln proofs IF I am looking to get a 69 grade. Fact is, early this year I upgraded all my 1978's forward to 69 since that will be the ONLY acceptable grade for the last quarter century of proof coinage going forward. I'm guessing that very few collectors are submitting modern proof coins for grading by PCGS. Probably 95% or more of the coins are submitted by bulk from dealers as you describe with any not making the 69 or 70 grade just being returned. Makes sense to me. I will not be sending my 2005 Lincoln proof to PCGS. I will buy it slabbed. Much cheaper that way. Thanks again for the insight.
    Steveimage
  • Options
    I want to change my guess to uh uh ow ah about 10. image
    Dan
  • Options
    Young Numismatist that collects: Morgan Dollars, SAE, Proof Sets, and Liberty Nickels.
    I also love to go through rolls to find coins.
    BST
    MySlabbedCoins
  • Options
    ellewoodellewood Posts: 1,750
    Mitch -

I am trying to soak up your knowledge like sponge! Thanks for the great read. I learned my lesson last month trying to make a PR69 DCAM Lincoln. Steve is right, just buy it slabbed....it's much easier and most of the time cheaper. Got any 79-S TY II Lincolns in 69 DCAM? Looking to upgrade my 68 DCAM....

Toby Leach
  • Options
    Toby: Thanks. And, I'll see if I can track you down a nice 79(s) Ty 2 PR69DCAM Lincoln cent next week.

Wondercoin

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Typically about 2% of moderns in the sets are gems. There is some great variance though
    from perhaps .2% for a '74-P Ike to as high as about 5% for a '72-D quarter. For a few coins
    you need to change the definitions a little to make them fit; a '65 SMS cent in the top 2%
    will hardly be a DC gem while an '88-D cent will be a spectacular gem about 30% of the time
    unless you demand that it be PL then it's more like 2%. The proofs are the same way but
    there tends to be a little less variability. '81-S cent gems do tend to run a little more common
    than most.

There is probably no real cause of this number being at about 2%, it is just the odds that
    most everything went right in the manufacturing process when they were made.

Of course these top 2% are not really created equal either. There are some (often ~5%)
    that stand out from the rest.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Tony Harmer
    Web: www.tonyharmer.org
  • Options
    Ck: Generally speaking, I can accept your analysis. And one day, most of the 20th century mint sets and proof sets will "dry up" - but, perhaps not until we are very old men image

Wondercoin
  • Options
    Wondercoin,
    Interesting analysis. Let's see where it leads. First, my disclaimers - I love to play with numbers image and it is possible to make numbers support almost any hypothesis imageimage probably why I like to play with numbers imageimageimage

Let's assume your 400 fresh sets truly were "fresh" and were a representative sample of the mint's production quality in 1981. If true, then your 2.5% "grade through rate" is statistically reasonably accurate. This implies that 2.5% of all the proof Lincoln cents minted in 1981 were of Pr69DCam or better quality. Since there were over 4 million proof cents minted in 1981, that comes to over 100,000 1981 PR69DCam or better cents. With similar and additional assumptions as you describe, 1.35% of this number would be PR70DCam, or a mere 1,350. To me this says they may be a lot of work to make, but there are a very large number of 1981 pr69DCam and pr70DCam cents out there.

imageimageimageSee my disclaimers (i.e., this is all "play") imageimageimage

CoolKarma

P.S., I just noticed that these number don't agree with the straightforward interpretation of the 23,680 sets and 150,000 sets. The first can be reconciled by noting that the 23,680 sets were needed to slab 592 pr69DCam cents not 1 (40 sets per which was your experience). I can't derive your 150,000 so I don't know where that discrepancy may be image I compute about 3000 sets per pr70DCam.
  • Options
    Coolkarma - If you assumed my numbers and 150,000 sets were needed to slab a 1981(s) TY 1 PR70DCAM, then with 4M sets, you would end up with roughly 27 PR70DCAM coins - not the 1,350 you mentioned. Now, that 27 could (and would) increase if any number of PR69DCAM coins were to regrade PR70DCAM or if less than 150,000 sets were needed to slab a perfect 70.

If it only took 50,000 sets to slab a PR70DCAM, I believe that number jumps to around 80 PR70's, and so on.

But, the above discussion is sort of "micro"-moderns 301 advanced class. In "macro" moderns 101 - the concept is learned that attempting to calculate grade through rates of raw proof set coins merely from pop report numbers is faulty analysis due to minimum grade considertations. That is really all I was trying to show from this real life experience.

Wondercoin

• Options

<< <i>If you assumed my numbers and 150,000 sets were needed to slab a 1981(s) TY 1 PR70DCAM, >>

then to yield the 8 known 1981 PR70DCams cents, 1.2 million 1981 sets would have to have been submitted to PCGS. PCGS has been very busy, but that sounds incredible. As I said, I can't follow your calculations to reach 150k sets needed per PR70DCam. I calculate 3,000/PR70Dcam, 40/PR69DCam, based on

your success: 400 sets yields 10 PR69DCams => 40 sets to get 1 PR69DCam

and the ratio of PR69DCams/PR70DCams: for every 75 PR69DCams there is 1 PR70DCam => 40 sets * 75 = 3000 sets.

And the assumption that all PR69DCams and PR70DCams were made by bulk submissions, and undoubtedly other assumptionsimage

<< <i>But, the above discussion is sort of "micro"-moderns 301 advanced class. In "macro" moderns 101 - the concept is learned that attempting to calculate grade through rates of raw proof set coins merely from pop report numbers is faulty analysis due to minimum grade considertations. That is really all I was trying to show from this real life experience. >>

Agreed image Bulk submission with minimum grade considerations is an important factor. Perhaps even the most important factor. It also usually is instructive to examine ones assumptions and see where they lead. These data and assumptions lead me to the conclusion that there may be a lot of 1981 PR69 and PR70DCams. But that conclusion depends on the various assumptions and is of course, purely hypothetical. In reality, there are currently only 8 1981 PR70 DCam Lincolns. Who knows when if ever there will be a ninth?
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Richard & Mitch,
    Very interesting discusion about statistics. With my experience in sending in MY ONE proof set for grading each year, I did "make" 5 PR69DCAM's on my own. Mitch, I would be interested in getting your "gut feel" as to what percentage of modern Lincoln cent proof coins (1990 to present) are submitted to PCGS and NOT GRADED (returned) from dealers on their bulk submissions. I recognize that most of these submissions would have been pre-screened by dealers in the first place. Your own personal experience may be an accurate guess. Thanks again for your input. Steveimage
  • Options
    Richard/Steve: First, is it possible that 1.2M of the 4M sets have been searched through since 1981 for candidates for PR70? I agree - it sounds high, but, your suggestion that only 24,000 sets have ever been searched through (3,000 x 8) sounds low.

You essentially never really know how many sets have been searched until they nearly run out - right? Again, we are not talking about 1999-date proof sets here where the vast majority of EVERY coin is shot PR69DCAM. In the case of pre-1982 Lincolns, or pre-1978 in other denominations, the PR69DCAM grade (and higher) becomes increasing difficult (consider a coin like the 1974(s), 1975(s) or 1976(s) Lincolns (just a bit older than the 81(s) we are discussing here) where -0- PR70DCAM coins have ever been graded in any of the 3 years since PCGS opened its doors. So, how many proof sets are needed to locate a true PR70DCAM of the 1975(s) or 1976(s) Lincoln cent? Anyone? Indeed, there are just slightly over 100 PR69DCAM's (let alone PR70) of these 2 years and they sell for $200-$300+/coin whenever a nice one is available!

Again, all of this is just "food for thought".

Wondercoin

P.S. Richard - I really don't have a handle on the annual grade through rates for the Lincoln proof series. My suspicion is coins from the 1990's and 2000's have very high grade through rates, while coins from the 1970's and early 80's do not. Of course, when you get into the 60's and early 70's, the coins often are not even cameo at all, let alone achieving a PR69 grade. Heck - the last 1971(s) Lincoln cent in PR69DCAM sold at Heritage for more than $17,000.00 as I recall! A "true" 2-sided PR69DCAM 1971(s) Lincoln cent is, no doubt, a "modern rarity" in my opinion.

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a fascinating discussion and several very important and insightful points have
    been brought up. But there is one point that Wondercoin touched on that is being very
    much ignored and needs to be looked at. Namely it's the fact that these high grade coins
    are coming from nice original sets. They aren't found much in sets which have been kicking
    around between dealers for a few years and they certainly won't be found in the sets being
    sold on TV nor by the large retailers. Almost every set which has hit the market over the last
    decades has been either destroyed or stripped of varieties and other desirable coins. Even
    those sets which remain original with some gems are mostly going into mint or proof set col-
    lections. These are being formed by relatively young people and they aren't going to sell them
    simply because the value goes up. Most will be held for decades until these collectors retire.

The supply of mint and proof sets remaind very much the same as it's always been; estate
    sales and very tired longs. These are the sets which were purchased by the original owner
    right from the mint. Since most of these buyers were in their 40's and 50's when they purchased
    the sets, the supply coming on the market has been slowing for years. These sets have not on-
    ly been destoyed by retailers and collectors but simple time and tide has destroyed more than
    1% annually. These latter are no longer available at all. The coins are lost and destroyed or
    in circulation. Many people simply can't comprehend the numbers of these in circulation. Despite
    the many billions of coins circulating a significant percentage are proofs which is even more in-
    credible when you consider that most of these are removed by the first collector who notices it!

Even those sets which have been dismantled by dealers and collectors will have a large tendency
    to no longer represent high grade coins. Some dealers dismantle the sets indiscriminately and
    sell the contents to the first person willing to pay a quarter or fifty cents for the coins. These were
    then pushed into albums and even folders. Those sets have essentially been consumed. There
    will be a few collectors and hoarders who have some quantities of these but consider getting and
    saving these coins is hard work and there have always been few who ever thought there might be
    a payoff for the effort.

This means that to a large extent the original mintages no longer have a lot of meaning and what
    you see is what you get. Most dealers have a lot of these sets in stock and this has been suffi-
    cient to supply the aenemic retail demand. There probably aren't even 50,000 proof sets of each
    date in dealer inventories any more. The rate at which most of these sets flow onto the market
    from estate sales and the like will not be sufficient to supply the burgeoning demand for intact sets
    from collector in the near future. Indeed, it has probably already started! Dealers are paying more
    now for the old mint sets which suffered the highest attrition because there simply aren't enough
    walking in the door to keep them in stock. As time goes on this will spread to other dates and be-
    come far more acute as the fresh supply continues to dwindle and the demand continues to ratchet
    up.

At some point it's even likely that larger numbers of collectors begin seeking these sets just because
    of the growing perception of "rarity". With such tiny numbers of most of these sets available a buying
    panic cannot be ruled out.

With a minrtage of 4,000,000 and an incidence of 2% the implication may be that there are no more
    than about a couple thousand of the top grade coins still available plus whatever has been set a-
    side by investors, speculators, and dealers over the years!!! This last number is probably far lower
    than most would predict and is even much much lower for some of the coins from modern sets.

Time will tell.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow,

Makes me want to start looking at '81 proof sets.

Then again, naw. Better things to do.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    "There probably aren't even 50,000 proof sets of each
    date in dealer inventories any more."

CK: Exactly the piece of the puzzle no one really knows the answer to.

How many Mint sewn bags of 1960(d) and 61(d) Jeffs are still in existence (heck, a MS64FS of the 60(d) just sold for around $31,000)!!

How many 1983(p) rolls of quarters still exist?

You really never know, but you can begin to speculate when you start seeing $31,000 for a nickel from the 1960's image

Wondercoin