Home U.S. Coin Forum

New Purchase: Bag Toned NGC MS64 1879 Morgan - Photos

Comments

• GonfunkoGonfunko Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭
    I like it - nice coin. Perhaps NGC is being a bit generous with MS-64 though...I'd go more for 63.
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 22,995 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tease!

peacockcoins

• tsacchtsacch Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
    With such a blown up image its easy to see the smallest of marks........I have seen worse 64's and better..........nice color.......hope you got her cheap too.
    Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.
  • K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    Exactly. These are high definition images at 800x800. I didn't get her cheap, more than double sheet price, but this date is hard to find with bag toning. It's going to PCGS and I am virtually certain it will come back as a 64.
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Excellent coin.

Tomimage
  • GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    Why is it everyone on this board accuses NGC of overgrading? I have plenty of NGC coins I feel are undergraded. For that matter, I have plenty of blue insert PCGS coins I feel are undergraded. I think PCGS
    purposely undergrades to claim their slabs are more valuable. This is fine except for the poor slob that originally paid to have their coin undergraded.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin Eric! I agree with you that it's a lock MS-64. Nice colorfully toned pickup!!

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Nice coin! I hope it comes back from PCGS as a 64.

Dan

<< <i>Nice coin! I hope it comes back from PCGS as a 64. >>

It will come back as a 64. I've done very well in cracking out NGC coins and crossing them.
  • I had to step back three feet to see the image properly. image
    Really? What resolution are you using on your monitor?
  • 800 x 600 ~ those pics are more detailed than most "professional" dealer's websites ~ huge!
    Believe it or not, I shot that coin here in the motel room with my jerry rigged setup. They don't look that huge to me, but I finally moved up to a 17" LCD flatscreen running at 1280x1024.
  • Very nice coin.
    Young Numismatist that collects: Morgan Dollars, SAE, Proof Sets, and Liberty Nickels.
    I also love to go through rolls to find coins.
    BST
    MySlabbedCoins
  • stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey that's a decent one!!!!
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • gemtone65gemtone65 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't be quite so certain. Perhaps 2 of of 3, but if so, would that making trying to cross worthwhile?

<< <i>I wouldn't be quite so certain. Perhaps 2 of of 3, but if so, would that making trying to cross worthwhile? >>

I have an advantage, I am looking at the coin with my eyes, not with an image. It will go 64. I've cracked and submitted hundreds of NGC Morgans to PCGS with over 90% crossing. There have been dozens I have left alone because I knew they wouldn't cross at the grade. This isn't one of them.
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    nice coin. There is someone out there who posts bigger pics than I do.image

I like the big pics.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
    1 217xxxxx 1879 S$1 USA MS64
  • wam98wam98 Posts: 2,685
    Wayne
  • That's a good one!
    Buy/Sell/Trade Rainbow Morgans
  • I just got this in today!
  • WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭

nice coin. There is someone out there who posts bigger pics than I do.image

NGC MS63 1878-CC image
    Thanks Chris. As we discussed when I bought this coin from you, I was pretty confident it would cross.
    Danny, is that a scan or digital picture? That pattern should be a good looker. Nice coin.
  • Danny, is that a scan or digital picture? That pattern should be a good looker. Nice coin.

Thanks, it is a scan...I'll have a go at the camera another day. I am happy that the coin looks much much better in hand than it did in the Teletrade pics. Nice rainbow!
  • image what a gorgeous coin. How do you get such gorgeous photos of your coins? I really need to learn how. No matter how I try they look like junk. It's tough being a newbee in a room full of experts. Oh well - I am hooked.
  • islemanguislemangu Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭
    Nice coin and image. From the chatter and strike I thought pcgs would 63 it IF it was your more common early S. Maybe your image made unnoticed hits more noticeable or the 79p issue relativity made the difference? Definitely desirable image
    YCCTidewater.com

<< <i>How do you get such gorgeous photos of your coins? >>

I use a Nikon 4300 digital camera mounted on a copystand, and use the GE Reveal bulbs. The trick to getting good images is to get a camera that will give you control over all the settings in manual mode, and then to practice by tinkering with the settings.

<< <i>Nice coin and image. From the chatter and strike I thought pcgs would 63 it IF it was your more common early S. Maybe your image made unnoticed hits more noticeable or the 79p issue relativity made the difference? Definitely desirable image >>

That coin is a 64 all day long, no matter what date or mint it is. I have my camera setup to capture and show all marks on a coin so that when I sell the buyer doesn't get a surprise as far as what the coin looks like. You have to remember that to bring out the color, a lot of light must be used, and those images are 800x800 which is pretty large.
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • image Thanks a bunch master collector. I have been attempting photos with my digital camera but I can't seem to get the close up like yours. Of course i haven't had the $$$ to invest in decent equipment yet either. Didn't see the sense in buying good equipment without knowing what good equipment was. Regardless of my woes, that is one beautiful coin and I hope you fetch at least a 64 from PCGS. I have a 78 s in for grading now at PCGS. Let's hope I am as fortunate as you. Thanks again.
  • mtnmanmtnman Posts: 565 ✭✭✭
    Great pictures as usual Eric. The leaves are changing. It's about time to come up here and give a lesson in how
    to use the 4300. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file