Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What caused this hole in this coin? Looks strange to me

I can't figure out if this is a bubble in the coin, or a half attempt at drilling? I guess the location makes me think drilling, but it doesn't look like it. If it is drilling, smeone ruined a very nice coin. What do you guys think?

Comments

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drill, or more likely an incomplete punch-through. What's the other side look like opposite the mark?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe someone hit it with a punch for a starter hole then decided not to drill?

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    TheLiberatorTheLiberator Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Drill, or more likely an incomplete punch-through. What's the other side look like opposite the mark? >>

No mark at all!
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Drill, or more likely an incomplete punch-through. What's the other side look like opposite the mark? >>

No mark at all! >>

Not even a flat spot or bulge? If that's true, it is rather odd. Where did the metal go?
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Sort of reminds me of a spy story.
    "Here son, take this specially marked coin and show it to Mr.Smith when he asks. That coin will tell Mr.Smith your from me and
    I vouch for your reliability."
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,243 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Attmepted hole. Take it from me- that's one thing I can call myself an "expert" on. image

If it were a bit deeper, you might have seen a bulge on the other side, but nickel's pretty hard, even if only the 25% alloy we use.

I have a couple of otherwise-high-grade holed Shield nickels on my vest. One is EF-AU with a little luster, as I recall. A real heartbreaker for most sane collectors, but a sweet vest coin for me. image

I also have two or three really low grade and crappy Shield nickels that serve as buttons on the vest. I drilled these myself, since I couldn't find any with two holes in the center for buttons. Before you banish me to eternal numismatic hellfire for that sin, I should add that I do NOT drill my own holes under most circumstances, as that would be cheating. Only OLD holes for me! But I had to make an exception for all but one of the coins I made into buttons. I had a handful of spooky cull Shield nicks and FE cents that a detecting buddy of mine had dug. They were all crusty and low grade (in some cases, dateless), so I put 'em into the rock tumbler to clean 'em up and made buttons out of 'em. They look nice.

Oh- and in maybe one or two other cases, I "finished" partial holes like you have there, when the coins were dates I needed for the large cent set on the back of the vest.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    TheLiberatorTheLiberator Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭

<< <i> Only OLD holes for me! But I had to make an exception for all but one of the coins I made into buttons. I had a handful of spooky cull Shield nicks and FE cents that a detecting buddy of mine had dug. They were all crusty and low grade (in some cases, dateless), so I put 'em into the rock tumbler to clean 'em up and made buttons out of 'em. They look nice.

Oh- and in maybe one or two other cases, I "finished" partial holes like you have there, when the coins were dates I needed for the large cent set on the back of the vest. >>

Hmm..someone is sounding very guilty and ashamed!! haha! image

Thanks for the in depth help, I really appreciate it!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file