Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Guess the grade. Washington Quarter.

DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
Thought you folks might enjoy testing your grading skills with this common Washington just holdered for me across the street. If you already know, please don't answer. BTW - the squiggly on the right wing is from my dog. It's outside the holder. image

Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor

Comments

• Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
  • Options
    64/65
  • Options
    66*. The fields are exceptionally clean. Be higher if not for the ticks on George.
    David
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If you already know, please don't answer. >>

You're no fun. image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like your doggy bit George. Looks really nice otherwise. Nice strike/detail!

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,781 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not know mint state Washington grading. However, the coin has what looks to me to be very nice original skin and minimal marks. It must look great in hand under optimal lighting conditions. My guess would be 65.
  • Options
    GonfunkoGonfunko Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭
    I agree, MS-65.
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Russ you are correct, he is no fun!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    I'll guess 66. If it's got GREAT luster, maybe 67???

Dan
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    MS66 (good strike and except for that mark after "liberty" and a few dots, the surfaces look good.)
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    I was more than a little surprised by the grade. I'll bring this coin with me to the ANA, and ask if perhaps there was a mistake. image

• Options
    BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • Options
    I'll guess MS61.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭
    My guess, prior to reading the answer above, was MS63. The strike is a bit weak as evidenced on the curls, there's not only the numerous ticks on the portrait but some field disturbances. But since NGC graded the coin, I would have guessed they would have given it a MS64 because though ut does have quite a few small marks, none are very significant. An MS61 seems way harsh to me.....
    Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    I've always thought that NGC traditionally overgraded Washingtons. I guess they're going overboard to correct that impressionimage
  • Options
    MS-63.image

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    Craig,

I'm hard at work looking for a 32-D graded the same way. Turns out my 36-P is a pop one. It has the distinction of being the lowest quality MS 36 P ever graded at NGC. There are no MS60's, and only this lone MS61. Truly a condition rarity. image
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

I'd give it a 63
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    My first impression was MS63 and I was little shocked to see so many call it MS65-66. I guess if what looks like light toning in the obverse fields is really some type of luster impairment I could see MS61. mike
  • Options
    PCGS sets under The Thomas Collections. Modern Commemoratives @ NGC under "One Coin at a Time". USMC Active 1966 thru 1970" The real War.
  • Options
    I think I'll change my guess to 61*. I can't believe that grade though. Perhaps it is luster impairment, but I'm with ManOfCoins.
    David
  • Options
    I think that coin is a good candidate for a poster that says "Graders, this is your brain on drugs."

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    i disagree, having now seen the grade. the coin has counting wheel damage that is not very apparent from the digi-pic.

my gut reaction was "ms-65", but like i said, something, either the angle or lighting, whatever, hides the damage, but it's there when you look at the digi-pic closely a 2d time.

btw, a common date even in ms-65, 1936 was saved by the bank bag. i have a couple or so unc rolls myself.

K S

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file