Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What do you think of my new seated half??? Grade Posted!

I just picked this one up and wanted to get some opinions. It is in a PCGS holder and is Mintstate. Nice fully original coin. Spent years in an old manila envelope where it got its attractive toning. I know my pictures did not capture the colors. Obverse lower right is toned in colors of gold and green and the reverse is colored better going from gold to green to red. It is a very original never messed with coin. What do you think PCGS graded it??image

PCGS graded this coin a MS63. The subdued luster is the only thing holding it back I would say. It sure is a nice clean coin with nice color when tilted in the light. It's so hard to find them original looking as you all know.image

Comments

• Options
    MS-61.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    GooberGoober Posts: 980 ✭✭✭
    Ooh, I like it. Very nice, I'm going 63 on this baby.
    Prost!

Why step over the dollar to get to the cent? Because it's a 55DDO.
  • Options
    TonedCoinTraderTonedCoinTrader Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭
    64!

Toned Coins for sale @ tonedcointrader.com
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is super nice. I'll go with 64. Look at the obverse shield! You can cut your fingers on it!! The reverse shield
    is about as good too!

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    I'm going to say 63. It looks very sharp and I don't see many flaws...but I also don't see much luster at all. Based on what I see in the picture, if this sucker was fully lustrous it's probably a 65, maybe even a 66. I'm guessing this is a tough one to grade by the picture.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The luster doesn't appear all that strong, esp. on the reverse. You only see it well around the devices. My guess is 62.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it!!!
  • Options
    Catch22Catch22 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭
    I'm with Ziggy. My scanner kills luster. I do like the cleanliness of the fields and will guess that PCGS knocked it down from a 65 to a 64 for an old dipping that interupted the luster.

When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary.

Thomas Paine
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, its a honey. I really like it too.

Grade ? I'm not a pro, but I give it a MS 64 grade. Barely a mark on it. The luster is original, but a bit dull... other wise it could have gotten a 65. Much too nice for a 61-62-or 63.

Very nice pick up.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with mike, solid Ms-64 IMO. If not, then thier is something the picture is not giving up.

Very nice original coin.
  • Options
    GeminiGemini Posts: 3,085
    Hard to see the true luster of the coin in the holder for me to make a grading attempt but the surfaces do look rather nice.
    A thing of beauty is a joy for ever
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    pretty.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    PCGS graded this coin a MS63. The subdued luster is the only thing holding it back I would say. It sure is a nice clean coin with nice color when tilted in the light. It's so hard to find them original looking as you all know. image
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>PCGS graded this coin a MS63. The subdued luster is the only thing holding it back I would say. >>

I think this one is an easy 65 with full luster.
  • Options
    imageAppears to be solid 64 to me.
    Eddie

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file