Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Why the Barbers are so tough to find nice

TahoeDaleTahoeDale Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭
There have been about 5 large collections including Barber halves sold in the last 8 years, but the longterm buyers were there, putting the coins away.

1. Pryor, 1996

2. Eliasberg, April 1997

3. Price, 1998

4. Queller, Oct. 2002

5. Geosits. Nov. 2003

The population for many of the dates is less than 5 in 65, and for dates like the 04-S, PCGS has graded a total in all grades less than 40 coins.

There can be assembled only 4 gem sets in PCGS holders. And only 15 sets in 63 or better. So the reason for seeing only 1 or 2 nice Barber halves at a major show, on the floor, is readily clear. The coins are tied up in collections( 4 major collectors and about 6 complete or almost complete sets).Though I have been collecting for 12 years, I did not buy more than 5 on the floor. Many more at Auctions at the major events.

The barber quarters are almost as tough. Again, only 5 or less sets can be put together in MS 65 or better. The 2 large sales-Church and Krueger, were several years ago and have long been dispersed. The Eliasberg sale was 7 years ago. No complete collection has hit the Market in 4 years, but there are about 40 nice barber quarters coming up in August at the Heritage ANA sale.

While the dimes are more plentiful, 3 collections dominate the field and there are few gems these 3 gentlemen do not own.( Law, Blay and Duckor ). But there are about twice as many gems(MS 65 or better) in the dimes, than in the quarters or halves. So an almost complete gem set is possible.

It will probably take the sale of 2 of the longtime collections to get the present collectors a substantial number of coins for their Barber half sets; I personally do not know where the Barber quarters are hiding. I do know that several avid collectors have given up on completing the series.

So if you see a real nice original Barber in 64 or better, and it is a rare date, I would suggest you not wait for the 65 or better. It may be a long time.

TahoeDale

Comments

• Options
    Hi,
    I see you have quite a bit of Barber knowledge - I was wondering if you would give your opinion of my new Barber 10c? PCGS Pr63CAM (I know your post is about Mint State coins, but I figured you would have an opnion). I wanted an uncleaned and attractively toned example with a reasonably clean cheek - and not terribly hairlined - and within my budget! My reasoning when I found it was "buy it before you can't" - most of what I had been seeing in my range was very low in eye appeal. Date was not a major consideration as this was for a type set. Thanks!

Best,
    Billy image

• Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Billy

Do you need a quarter to go along with your dime (very nice dime by the way image)?

TahoeDale

I've known that finding really nice Barber halfs is difficult but thanks for filliing in some of the details on why.
    The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    Hi pmh1nic,
    thanks for the offer, and the great scan, but I am not in "buy" mode right now. When I am I will probably be looking for an XF/AU Capped 10c.
    Thanks for the kind words re my 10c! image

Best to you,
    Billy image
  • Options
    The proof 63 recently posted looks real pq. And I surely would keep it for type. The only way to know for sure is to be able to find the hairlines(or not) on the surfaces.

Proof coinage may vary between several grades without much difference, unless the grader has the experience to know what to look for, and I do not. My eyes are in need of magnification that a 20 year old gets for free.

A mistake was made on a previous post re the population of MS barber dimes as compared to quarters and halves. The dimes in 65 or better are as rare as the quarters, and almost as scarce as the halves.
    TahoeDale
  • Options
    GooberGoober Posts: 980 ✭✭✭
    Wow, nice quarter pmh 1nic! I've found a few Barber coins in the lower MS grades that looked wonderful and were a great buy but they are definitely the exception it seems not the norm. Either you in the lower grades or upper where the price takes you to a place you don't want to go.
    Prost!

Why step over the dollar to get to the cent? Because it's a 55DDO.
  • Options
    Hi again,
    I appreciate the opinion, and the excellent article. I felt it was PQ - hairlines are very minor and the coin has an attractive "even" look about it. I thank you!

Best,
    Billy image
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All better date Barbers are tough, but then again there are only a few people looking to complete gem sets too. That was no different than 10 or 20 years ago. I'm sure there are far more than 5 coins per date in gem to allow more people to complete gem sets. It will take higher prices to draw out those pieces. I would be willing to guess that at least 10 gem coins (MS 65 or better) exist for every date in the quarters. The number could be higher too.

Now if you look further book to seated material, you have a whole
    different level of rarity. There aren't 5 people building gem sets of quarters as far I know. And 5 sets is impossible....even one set is probably impossible. Even a 63 or 64 set may be impossible. At least 6 date/mints currently aren't generally known to exist in those grades. Barbers have the advantage of being completeable in gem, it just takes a strong bankroll to lure coins out from hiding. I love Barbers and wouldn't mind owning a gem set if I had the $$ to afford them. But once a coin gets to be pop 3 or 4 in gem, it doesn't interest me as much. I like coins that are pop 1 or 2 in gem
    and have a good chance of staying that way. I still feel there are many Barber gems still out there waiting to show up.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    Roadrunner,

You are absolutely correct re the rarity of the lib seated series. I have dabbled there, and have even considered trying to put a half series together. I attended the Queller sale, and saw the cc's go to the moon.

While I own several of each demonination, my interests are in MS coins will probably prevent me from doing a date set of the halves. I am stuck on original toned coins, like my friend Gregg Bingham, and the barbers, and capped bust halves fill that need. My searches for seated material in MS(not proof-they are exquisite) has left me seeing too many grey/non-lusterous coins that I have passed on.

So, I will stay with what pleases me. As should all collectors. But when I see an original toned one(1858-S half in 66, Norweb), I will continue to bite.
    TahoeDale
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dale -

We all look forward to seeing more details about your half dollar collection. It's staggering to me to imagine the money AND TIME it must have taken to locate the material. I'm also interested in any insight you can provide, i.e. which dates are overrated, underrated, etc, based on your long personal journey. I don't collect Gem Barber material myself, but others on this board do, and we would all love any tidbits you could provide.

I myself have always wondered about the lack of Gem material when it comes to Barbers. With some mintages relatively high, you would expect more material to be available. And of course, given that key dates are submitted several times for grading, even the population reports themselves WAY OVER ESTIMATE the availability of such material.

Thanks again,
    Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    TahoeDale, whether it's seated, bust, or Barber, I'll purchase ANY decent choice or gem MS coin when it comes my way. There is not enough to choose from in just one series. For every good coin there are at least 8 to 9 also-rans. Congrats on your 58-s Norweb half.
    Nice early dated halves are like hen's teeth to find. Most are dipped or dullish & mottled. I was fortunate to pick up a gem pair of James Pryor/James Stack halves 2 years back (1855 and 1874-s). The Pryor sale was the best half dollar sale of our generation and prices were at the very bottom of the market cycle in 1996. It was a great opportunity to load up. Unfortunately I had no extra cash at that time.

roadrunner
  • Options
    Roadrunner,

I didn't attend the Pryor sale, but my dealer did, and I was able to buy 3 barber halves. I wasn't collecting bust halves at the time, and missed out on a great bunch of coins. In fact, all the series were to die for, at the prices in 1996. I looked up the 2 seated halves you purchased, and they are superb.

These coins were all very pq. 2 of the 3 barbers I got have upgraded 1 point. The 3rd was already tied for top pop. I just wish I had been there.

TahoeDale
  • Options
    Dave 99B,

The entire series is listed on the PCGS registry-Barber halves MS.

The toughest coins to find in 65 or better were

1893-S
    1894-S
    1896-O
    1898-O
    1900-O
    1901-O
    1902-O
    1904-S

I did most of my buying in the mid to late 90's, and was able to purchase about 25 coins from 1 collection in 1997. A collector in Humble Texas was selling, in order to build a new house, and I got lucky. I wish I had bought the entire collection, but had limited funds. Who has unlimited?

I have coins from the following collections besides the one above:
    Eliasberg, Pryor, Price, Queller, Duckor.

The Registry was not in vogue at the time I made most of my buys. That helped, as there was no rush to get to the top. I traded with other collectors who had duplicates, meeting them through common dealers. And my main man, Kenny Duncan at US Coins, found many for me. We also bought the proofs when they came available.

The best story of all the coins I own is the 1892-0 micro-o. I was at the Eliasberg sale, and when this coin hammered for $54,000, Kenny Duncan said it was going to be the best buy of the Barber halves. I didn't buy it til 2003, when I paid several times over the hammer price. I could have owned it in 1997, but couldn't step out in that price range. I ended up with the 1892 Proof half, that graded 66.

Thanks for getting me to remember all this trivia. It's fun.
    TahoeDale
  • Options
    I missed Pryor too being as it was in California. But at that time I was 95% convinced that coins were DEAD forever. It had been 6 years since the market crash and we had never seen such a long down cycle in my early coin years. Was a new paradigm in effect?
    Nope. Of course, those were the exact signs of a market bottom which I failed to recognize. I also sold my 1970 440-6 pack, red, Challenger RT that summer too (it has nearly tripled in price since then too!). That was the bottom for many different markets.

Funny that I missed Pryor but ended up flying out to California in 2002 to buy those halves out of auction. Like your Barbers, they were conservatively graded in the earlier days of PCGS. Both of mine also upgraded on resubmittal. That was no real surprise though as I paid high-end money to buy them in the first place. And even in the higher holders they look better than 90% of the swill I see for sale in the same grades today.

roadrunner

• Options
    FinallyHereFinallyHere Posts: 822 ✭✭✭
    A very smart post Dale!! Glad to see you sharing your insights!

Mike
    Mike Printz
    Harlan J. Berk, Ltd.
    https://hjbltd.com/#!/department/us-coins
  • Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    For those of you who haven't seen any of Dale's coins, if you ever do, you will be mesmerized and permanently spoiled by the quality AND eye-appeal.

But, at the risk of my being flamed by certain forum membersimage , Dale, I recommend that you NOT show any images of your coins. Because if you do, you will be besieged to show (MANY) more.image
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A collector in Humble Texas was selling, in order to build a new house, and I got lucky.

That's why building a great set isn't just about money. It requires opportunity as well....
  • Options
    Great post......

Personally I have always liked Barbers, as well as all seated coins. Especially the larger ones.image
  • Options
    Catch22Catch22 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭
    Being the poor man that I am, I collect Seated coins in well circulated grades. Even the circulated grades of some of these coins are stoppers. I've had to pass on numerous Mint State coins of the rare dates waiting for an affordable example to show up. You are often times more apt to see the quality coins than you are the collector grade coins. A lot of collectors just won't give these little buggers up.

Seated coin collectors are a funny breed. I think most want to be buried with their collections.

When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary.

Thomas Paine
  • Options
    I had been working on a MS Barber dime set for 6 years until retirement loomed and I have a few observations.

Nearly all gem Barber dimes are available (the last PCGS 65 1895-O I saw was listed at $20,000
    with CDN at $11,500/13,250 and it was gone immediately). Price and positive eye appeal are the problem.
    You have to talk to a lot of people and let them know what you want. David Lawrence Co. and Jack Beymer
    are 2 of the most knowledgable. If you really feel comfortable grading raw gem Barbers Stack's is excellent.
    If you locate a nice 64 rarer issue for close to CDN snap it up. I passed on a 1900-O PCGS 64 dime a while
    ago without realizing what great trading material that coin was. My loss.

Start with the keys. They appreciate faster. I know it is hard to resist buying 6 or 8 common Phillies for the
    same investment as a mint-marked coin from the 1800's. But you will be glad you did.

Look at a ton of coins. There are Barbers with upgrade potential out there. My favorite is richly toned dimes.
    I believe there is more undergraded coins in this series due to toning than any other factor.

I just sold a 1899 ProofCam 63 Barber dime that looked just like yours. Took me 18 months to find it. Good
    buy!

Steve

Collecting XF+ toned Barber dimes
  • Options
    I've always like the middle year "O" mints for all denoms such as
    98-0, 99-0, 00-0, 01-0, 02-0, 03-0, 04-0. The first 4 of these especially. Always felt that the pre-1898 "O"s tend to be a bit overhyped because of lower mintages or popularity. Yum.

roadrunner
  • Options
    DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    If you have watched the supply of barber halves for sale over the past year or two, you will note fewer coins in MS 64 and above than were available even 3 to 8 years ago. If you look at the top four current barber half sets on the pcgs registry site, you will see a lot of the nice coins are locked up in sets. One can even compile significant parts of condition census reports for the rarest coins like the 04-S, 01-S, and 96-O.
    Dr. Pete
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that a lot of Mint State Barber coins that collectors set aside got killed during the Great Depression. People just could not aford to hold on to an old coin when one needed to put bread on the table and pay the rent. Once the coins got into circulation, they stayed there. For that reason one sees very few pieces in the middle grades like VF and EF. Most of what you see is either in Proof and Mint State or Good. More dimes survived because one could afford to save them.

Don't take this wrong, but a lot of collectors from the generation before me (baby boomer), who grew up during the Great Depression, did not have a great respect for the Barber coinage. They viewed the series as dull and the designs as boring. The older collectors I knew were much more interested in the 18th and 19th century coinage. With opinions like that it's not surprising that smaller numbers of Barber coins survived.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file