Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

FOUND COIN!

I got a call from a friend of mine today to come take a look at a coin in that was in thier jar of coins.... Can you believe it was a Massachusetts 1652 Pine Tree Shilling -- Colonial Coinage... I was shaking. Couldn't believe that they never realized they had or, and don't know when or how they got it. It's in pretty good shape too. Doesn't look like a repro and definitely not a copy.

Really, really happy for them, and also really envious. See, it just goes to show that there are still treasures out there to be found!

KPimage

Comments

• Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭
    Get it certified. Then start shaking image.
  • Options

<< <i>Doesn't look like a repro and definitely not a copy. >>

How do you know? Do you work with alot of colonials?

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Doesn't look like a repro and definitely not a copy. >>

Honestly, I hope it works out well...but I definitely wouldn't be so sure. Personally, I'd assume it's a fake until it was professionally authenticated.
  • Options
    Folks, no I don't work with Colonials, and I've already advised my buddy to get it slabbed (PCGS of course). Still, the thought is rather exciting!
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
    I would just assume it's a fake, but more amazing finds have happened.

Good luck!

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536

<< <i> I've already advised my buddy to get it slabbed (PCGS of course). >>

Wh is it everyones first thought when they find something like this is to spend thirty dollars to send it off to a third party grading service, where 999 out of 1000 times it will be bodybagged, instead of running a couple of simple tests such as weighing it and if needed a specific gravity test. Two simple tests (and often free) that will unmask probably 90% of the fakes.
  • Options

<< <i>Wh is it everyones first thought when they find something like this is to spend thirty dollars to send it off to a third party grading service >>

Because if they ever expect to sell this coin it will have to be certified...look at all the ones here that already think it's a fake.....
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    I agree that they would probably have to have it certified before most anyone would have the nerve to buy it, but why automaticly spend $30 and wait three months for a bodybag when nine times out of ten it can be identified as a fake by simply weighing it. If the weight checks out, and specific gravity test checks out THEN send it in! (I can't believe I said to send something in.) And I'm not just refering to this coin, I see this happening over and over and over.
  • Options

<< <i>I agree that they would probably have to have it certified before most anyone would have the nerve to buy it, but why automaticly spend $30 and wait three months for a bodybag when nine times out of ten it can be identified as a fake by simply weighing it. If the weight checks out, and specific gravity test checks out THEN send it in! (I can't believe I said to send something in.) And I'm not just refering to this coin, I see this happening over and over and over. >>

I agree 100%.... take it down to your local coin shop and have it weighed.... This will unmask numerious fakes. I have seen so many coins get the BB that could have been avoided.... not only that you waste $30 if it comes back with a BB.... most of the time you can figure this out b4 you even send it in.

-Greg
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!

E-mail GRU Coins
  • Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087
    take a picture, weigh it,and go see these people http://groups.yahoo.com/group/colonial-coins/ or send me the picture and i'll post it there. Or PM me and i'll point you to the right people.
    I went through the same bs when I had to authenticate this
    They have an auction coming up in Boston this November.
  • Options
    There are more repros than real one. (I have one from when I was a kid along with a 1776 Continental dollar). Drop it on a table and see if it makes a ring or a thud.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file