Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Good price ya think?

$200 including shipping for a bag of 5,000 wheats, mostly 40's and 50's

Comments

• Options
    DesertRatDesertRat Posts: 1,791
    I have a sparkletts bottle full of penny's. I'll gladly sell them for $.04 each image

I guess it really depends on what treasures await you as you search through them all. Yours being all wheats though makes it a fun treasure hunt.

I am contemplating dumping my bottle and going through them...been tossing all my copper in there for close on 20 years now without ever really looking at what I have tossed. If nothing more it is a good way to spend spare time.
  • Options
    My goal is more like turning a profit on ebay. Wanna buy a pound? image
  • Options
    The last time I bought 5,000 I paid $160, but that was a few years ago. In addition I had plenty of coins from 1909-1958 so it wasn't a just a large group of 40's and 50's. It also included plenty of 1909 VDB and Mint marked issues in the teens as well as a 1922-D and several other better date coins. (1931,1932) etc.

Good Luck!!!
  • Options
    DesertRatDesertRat Posts: 1,791
    Question - You buy a bag like this and as Sam says he wants to sell them on E-bay...I assume by the pound. In the case of someone who is truly treasure hunting, what are the odds of finding a rarity in a bag like this? What do people then do after they have picked over the entire bag and gleaned what they want from it, Sell them by the pound again? Just a curiosity question I guess.
  • Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    I remember about six years ago, I was buying them from a local dealer for $75 a bag. ...I'd sell them on ebay for $130-$160 a bag. ...those were the days. Now, they're worth closer to what you're asking. Good luck with the sale.

David
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    I paid $140.00 for a bag 5 years ago and they were, as said, more than 40s-50s! I had an even, but proportional, mix of teens all the way up. I found several semi-key dates. Not finished searching them yet. Save them for rainy days.

All in all, very much worth what I paid for them.

I would not pay that price you paid for 5,000 though. For that, I would have paid $120.00. All that is there are common 40s-50s cents.

JMHO though.
  • Options
    I don't plan on searching them. Too meticulous for my personality image
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    I bought 20 pounds froma guy who saved cents since the 50's...let me tell ya there was no junk in that bag. i sorted it out, sold 09-30's to darin and sold the rest to ebayers

oh and I gave merz a 22 weak D

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    A few years ago I bought 18,000 "unsearched" wheats .. just for my nephews to go through ... With their Whitnam albums in hand ... I think they still have 10,000 or so to go through .. IMHO I think that's all the bulk "unsearched" wheats are good for .. potential YN's in your family ..
  • Options

Perhaps you could dump them on other suckers on eBay by selling them for $2.00 each by advertising some kind of retirement sale and hold a lottery style auction, you know the kind where you advertise GOLD-SILVER FOUND and only sell wheat cents?

Nah, eBay would probably kick you off if you tried to pull that stunt.

My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Perhaps you could dump them on other suckers on eBay by selling them for $2.00 each by advertising some kind of retirement sale and hold a lottery style auction, you know the kind where you advertise GOLD-SILVER FOUND and only sell wheat cents?

Nah, eBay would probably kick you off if you tried to pull that stunt. >>

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !!!!

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

BUSTED !!!!
  • Options
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Perhaps you could dump them on other suckers on eBay by selling them for $2.00 each by advertising some kind of retirement sale and hold a lottery style auction >>

Yep, he could run an auction similar to this one.

This sleazer has been thoroughly busted by Sheriff Sample Slab.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

<< <i>This thread explains it all

Cameron Kiefer >>

Congrats on bustin this bastidge Cam!image
  • Options

<< <i>Perhaps you could dump them on other suckers on eBay by selling them for $2.00 each by advertising some kind of retirement sale and hold a lottery style auction, you know the kind where you advertise GOLD-SILVER FOUND and only sell wheat cents?

Nah, eBay would probably kick you off if you tried to pull that stunt. >>

The emoticon doesn't exist for how hard I am laughing right now.
  • Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    Bought a bag for $150, mixed wheats last month. Also bought a bag containing 30s only for $200. Offer is still out on a bag of pre-war mixed dates at $250.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file