Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

P & D state quarters

Went through three rolls of state quarters from my pocket change jar and there were only 3 p's in the whole 120 coins, averages out at 1/roll. Very interesting but i was wondering if the south got the d's and the north got the p's. Any collaborating evidence here or were all the p's melted down (that's a joke). Why so many d's and so few p's?

Comments

• Options
    More likely east vs. west. All we get in Id. is D's
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    I'm just the opposite. Plenty of Ps, very few Ds.
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    F117ASRF117ASR Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭

<< <i> More likely east vs. west. >>

Yup. All I get here in california are D's. The only P's I find are at least 15 years old. So I guess
    what I am saying is that if you wait patiently image, you'll find the P's you're looking for. Though they'll be heavily circulated. lol.
    Beware of the flying monkeys!
    Aerospace Structures Engineer
  • Options
    orieorie Posts: 998
    Kentucky all P's
  • Options
    jharjhar Posts: 1,126
    I see mostly P's in Alabama
    J'har
  • Options
    richbeatrichbeat Posts: 2,288
    What area of the country are you in? As a general rule of thumb, Denver supplies coin west of the Mississippi, and Philly supplies coin east of the Mississippi. image
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MHammerman,

You are in Texas.
    West of the Mississippi is D minted coins.
    East of it is the P minted coins.

To get either one in the other side requires some travelling of the coins....ie...some pockets them and uses them elsewhere.
    I don't believe the banks can order certain mints and just take what comes to them through the services (see the first part of my post).

Ron

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options

<< <i>MHammerman,

You are in Texas.
    West of the Mississippi is D minted coins.
    East of it is the P minted coins.

To get either one in the other side requires some travelling of the coins....ie...some pockets them and uses them elsewhere.
    I don't believe the banks can order certain mints and just take what comes to them through the services (see the first part of my post).

Ron >>

Exactly Correct.

-Greg
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!

E-mail GRU Coins
  • Options
    mtnmanmtnman Posts: 566 ✭✭✭
    West Virginia gets nothing but P's. I have found very few D's in pocket change over the years.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,483 ✭✭✭✭
    Its all supply and demand. The Feds deliver the coins where they are needed and ordered by the banks.

In 1999, the Denver area saw very few of the New Jersey D's even though they were made right here. The reason? I heard that Texas and Oklahoma got most of the D's. That's not to say that the D's weren't shipped to other places, it's just saying that most of them went to Tx and Ok.

Heck, I went through close to $2,000 worth of circulated quarters just to find a roll of circulated D's.

I think your best bet is to set up a trade with someone on the east coast who can get you what you need. I am currently in a deal with some people here at work that get the P's from back east (Upstate New York) and the spouse of a guy here at work is employed by a company that distributes coin to the local banks. When the new quarters come in, she "gets in line (literally)" to get our rolls. I actually feel very fortunate to get these (almost guaranteed) at face value.

A sure fire method though is to just order the rolls from the mint when they get released.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    AZ 95% D
    Young Numismatist that collects: Morgan Dollars, SAE, Proof Sets, and Liberty Nickels.
    I also love to go through rolls to find coins.
    BST
    MySlabbedCoins
  • Options
    Texas--it's rare to find a P. I'm still looking for the last 7. But it does increase the fun (challenge?)of putting together a PD set.
    Curmudgeon in waiting!
  • Options
    Almost entirely P's in New York and New Jersey
  • Options
    My mother works as a toll collector on the Maine Turnpike and is also collecting state quarters. On average it takes at least 2 to 3 months for her to find a D mint quarter after they're released.
    Dan

My quarters:
    Silver
    Clad
    Statehood

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file