Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The smile doesn't look right 1803 $1?

66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
Been thinking about the series(wanna get one), and saw this coin.. To me the smile is not correct. Am I off base on this and need to study a little more, or has it been tooled?
Coin in question

I'm not bashing the seller just wondering about the coin.
Need something designed and 3D printed?

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure- I really haven't seen enough in high grade to be a good judge of that. I wouldn't be shocked if a tooled coin got past PCI.

But that one doesn't look bad to me (if you bear in mind my lack of experience on the subject).

If you can see the cornea and pupil in Liberty's eye, it's outta my league! I've had a grand total one Bust dollar ever- a borderline Fine 1800 that VG08'ed at ANACS. Still want a "holey" one for the vest.

Good to see you around- that icon looks great on you. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    I'm certainly not a Bust Dollar expert, but it looks authentic, but possibly retooled. And a bit overgraded to boot. It *might* make VF-30, IMO.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    without commenting on the specific coin in question, I will mention that Liberty's "expression" on the various draped bust coins (and to some extent, the capped bust as well) runs the spectrum from "amused" to "bored" to "dopey" to "stern" to "downright hostile", these subtle differences are largely due to the mouth but also due to the eye. On some coins, she has lips tight together, others slightly apart, some she has a small smile, others a frown.

here's an 1801 half dollar where Liberty has what I think is a pleasant expression on her face:

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,489 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd say that the coin is real and that the smile has not been fooled with. It's a B-6, BB-255 and rates a high R-3 on the Sheldon scale. (Large 3 in date)

It is no sharper than VF-30, and looking at the picture the obverse fields bother me. I wonder if they have messed with, and the photo doctored.

That's the trouble with third world slabs. Overgrading and possible repairs, all of which are not noted.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    You must be very careful buying gold insert PCI coins. A majority of members won't buy them unless they see them first in person.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • Options

<< <i>l just wondering about the coin. >>

Looks like the infamous "snot nose" variety to me, with a touch of the tool by an "eye, nose and mouth" doctor!
  • Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>without commenting on the specific coin in question, I will mention that Liberty's "expression" on the various draped bust coins (and to some extent, the capped bust as well) runs the spectrum from "amused" to "bored" to "dopey" to "stern" to "downright hostile", these subtle differences are largely due to the mouth but also due to the eye. On some coins, she has lips tight together, others slightly apart, some she has a small smile, others a frown >>

Thanks, thats the info I was looking for.

As for this coin I would not buy it for two reasons, one- I don't know enough about the series to do PCI, and two- I want that pleasant smile.
    hummmmmm wonder if that one is still on the BST..
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options
    jharjhar Posts: 1,126
    I agree with Bill Jones. It does seem to match the photo in my "Early Silver Dollars" book for the B6 Variety.
    J'har
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like an enhanced left nipple variety.
  • Options
    1946Hamm1946Hamm Posts: 769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is aPCGE VF-35 B-6 BB-255 for comparison. There is luster around the devices that does not show up very good in my not so good picture.

Have a good day, Gary

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file