Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Help needed regarding Slabbing of Roosie dimes

Hi all,

I have a nice bu set of 1946-64 roosevelt dimes with some extra proofs of the 1970's. My question is whether it is worth it to have any or all of them slabbed? Even if the 49-s or 52-s come back 66, is it worth the time and trouble. Which dates are good candidates for slabbing? Most of them look high end to me, some with nice colorful toning, Your thoughts?

David

Comments

• Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    Nah...just send 'em to meimage
  • Options
    Hey, it isn't Christmas yetimage
  • Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    Haven't you ever seen a "Christmas in July" sale?

• Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    It's not really worth slabbing unless they grade MS67+ or MS66+ with full bands although their are a few exceptions to this. mike
  • Options
    FC57CoinsFC57Coins Posts: 9,140
    Mike is correct - unless they are absolute dazzlers or high end full band coins, they're just better off in a nice album.
  • Options

<< <i>Mike is correct - unless they are absolute dazzlers or high end full band coins, they're just better off in a nice album. >>

I will agree, if you are absolutly sure that they are the best of the best and are gonna get MS-67 to MS-70 with FB its not usually worth it. Good toning helps. Also some pics might help determine whats what.
    Scott Hopkins
    -YN Currently Collecting & Researching Colonial World Coins, Especially Spanish Coins, With a Great Interest in WWII Militaria.

My Ebay!
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want anything but MS-67 Roosevelt dimes slabbed, it's better to buy them already in the slab. Wasting your money on anything but dazzling gems is a very bad idea from a financial perspective. Let somebody else take the “hit” and buy the coins after the fact.

There is a dealer down here in Florida who has a whole case of this type of stuff that he sells at 50% off. He buys the coins that people have sent in that “flunked” and that sells them at the shows.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file