Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

grading coins???

can a coin be worn on one side and not the other?is that possible.

Comments

• Options
    GandyjaiGandyjai Posts: 1,380 ✭✭
    I have found grease-filled die on one side, and gem BU full strike on the reverse.
    One side has a very worn side while the other is perfect. I guess, depending on the
    amount of grease in the die....the coin could appear worn or circulated on one side
    while the other side is gem BU?
    Just speculation......image

Gandyjai
  • Options
    Tons of Morgans and many other coins have better reverses than obverses. I'm not sure why. One guess is that the coin was in a Whitman type folder and the obverse got wear from rubbing with the other part of the folder or from a rag or something. Does anybody have any other theories?
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably below the level your thinking about. But my Barber have dollars set almost all show more wear on the reverse than the obverse. These are circulated coin in the lower grades Good to Fine. I think that some designs lead to more wear on one side than the other.
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It depends on how high the relief of the coin is, the height of the rim, and the placement of lettering around the periphery of the coin. You can find heavily circulated coins in some series where there is a 2 or 3 grade difference between the obverse and reverse. I've noticed it particularly on Seated dimes; the obverse might be Fine, but the reverse is AG. It makes grading difficult; some people think you should just average the 2 grades, while others believe that the obverse carries more weight in determining the grade.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!