Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Black Morgan....

LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
Though not vibrant, it's has a lot of... black luster. It's neat watching the cartwheel on this one.

David

Comments

• Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me likes that one.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    Me too. image

...and if you get that sucker under a glass, you'd wonder why it's not in a 65 holder. Man, they were beyond brutal on the grade on this one. No biggy, though. Buy the coin, not the holder... right?

David
  • Options
    I don't think NGC will give the darker toned coins a 65. I have a deeply toned '39 Walker in an NGC 64 holder that technically should be a 65 or 66. I think that if the luster is even slightly impaired by dark toning that the coin won't see a 65.
    J.C.
    *******************************************************************************

imageimageSee ya on the other side, Dudes. image
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a sweet coin! The fact that it was graded a good time ago could account for something--may go up at least a point... image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    Twodogs,

YOu may be right. I dont do much submitting on the dark ones. They're usually hard to find. I have, however, owned and submitted a lot of Morgans... it's the strongest 63 I've ever owned image.

David
  • Options
    How about a black one with mirrors????

David
  • Options
    I wish I had taken larger pics. Look at the strength of the strike and there are NO bagmarks of any size. (Scratches are on the slab.) But...the obverse IS dark.

imageimage
    J.C.

• Options
    Twodogs--that's a really cool coin! That really gives truth to the statement about how toned pieces are unique--I've never seen a walker any bit close to looking like that!

Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    Airplanenut, I got that one from Mdwoods. He agrees, it should be a 65. The reverse is the exact same color as the pic shows...gun metal blue.
    J.C.

• Options
    You guys keep showing those black beauty's.... I just know that K6AZ is gonna start in with those twin ladies. Then what I go through isn't a pretty sight.
  • Options
    K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    Did someone say black? (And stman they are still not for sale)

• Options
    What did I tell ya. There he goes.
  • Options
    K6--those for sale? image

Here's the one I've got:

• Options
    Twodogs, that is one sweet walker. Too bad for me that it's tied up in strong hands image.

K6AZ... man, that is sweet. They'er ALMOST twins!!!

David
  • Options
  • Options
    This one is black if you have low light... or outdoor light. In nice indoor light, it is more purpleish. The cartwheel is totally awesome on this one. It changes from the background color to more of a magenta as you turn it. Sweet.

David

• Options

<< <i>K6AZ... man, that is sweet. They'er ALMOST twins!!! >>

They ain't that great!!!image
  • Options
    There goes stman politickin' again. Still not for sale! image
  • Options
    There goes stman politickin' again. Still not for sale!

I'd think they'd bring at least two dollars.... now which two dollars they'd bring is a good question.

David
  • Options
    Seriously, I turned down an offer of $700 for the pair, and that offer wasn't from stman.
  • Options
    Okay, this one isn't black, but it IS dark and splotchy to make up for it.

imageimage
    J.C.

• Options
    Seriously, I turned down an offer of $700 for the pair, and that offer wasn't from stman.

Well, if I had $701... actually, I'd put that in my 93-S morgan fund.... but if I had another $701... well, I'd probably put that in my 93-S morgan fund too... but if I had another $701.... awe who the heck am I kidding.... I'm broke.

David
  • Options
    Twodogs... I like that Walker.

<< <i>Seriously, I turned down an offer of $700 for the pair, and that offer wasn't from stman >>

Well I offered 650.00 so I was close.
  • Options
    Nice 81-CC...

David
  • Options
    bennybravobennybravo Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    There certainly seems to be some closet black Morgan lovers. I had someone offer me $150 for the 85, which I turned down. Me likes black Morgans! image
  • Options
    I had someone offer me $150 for the 85, which I turned down. Me likes black Morgans!

Man. I cant even sell quality at a fair price right now. If you want to see a two year work end without a buyer at average market.... check this out. ...about 10 min left. All on ebay as singles on Sunday night.

David
  • Options
    I don't know anything about Lincolns, but I wish you luck with the singles. I hope you make WAAAAAY more that way.
    J.C.

• Options

<< <i> I had someone offer me $150 for the 85, which I turned down. Me likes black Morgans!

Man. I cant even sell quality at a fair price right now. If you want to see a two year work end without a buyer at average market.... check this out. ...about 10 min left. All on ebay as singles on Sunday night.

David >>

You have a couple of problems with that auction. First, not many want to buy a complete set. Second, you used a one day auction which a lot of people are leery of. If you really want to get top dollar for those coins, list them singly in seven day auctions. You should do much better that way.
  • Options
    You have a couple of problems with that auction. First, not many want to buy a complete set. Second, you used a one day auction which a lot of people are leery of. If you really want to get top dollar for those coins, list them singly in seven day auctions. You should do much better that way.

That's the second time it's been up. The first was a three day auction. I'd already decided to plug everything in on sunday, but I figured I'd discount it a little for the ease of not having to send off coins to 40 different people... so I put in a one day auction (about this tiem last night) because three days would put it ending on Sunday night. Well, I'm not listing them at 2 AM as singles on a Monday morning. The low ball snipers would have a field day... so that's the reason for the one day auction.

They'll hit ebay, starting and ending on a Sunday as singles. I just hate having to send that many coins off at one time. Too much thinking makes me tired... lol.

David
  • Options
    LincolnCentMan,

That Black Morgan is cool. You can see from the image that it has cartwheel luster for days.
  • Options
    oldcameoproofsguy,

Thanks,

I'll tell the wife you liked it. She has all the good stuff around here (our house)....

David
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,000 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That's a sweet coin! The fact that it was graded a good time ago could account for something--may go up at least a point... >>

On a common date like that I don't think it really matters if its a 63 or a 64 no significant change in value really.
  • Options
    ibzman350ibzman350 Posts: 5,315
    Black morgans image, yep I likem too !!!

so when and where can I get mine ??

Herb
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    ibzman350ibzman350 Posts: 5,315
    Went back and checked my database and I found a black morgan, but no luster image

would this be considered a Black morgan??

Herb
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow, I really like many of these blazing black beauties. First class!
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    TonedCoinTraderTonedCoinTrader Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭
    Back's in Black!

Toned Coins for sale @ tonedcointrader.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file