Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Anyone know much about India and their coinage?

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm looking for a gift for a friend. $50 or less. He's Indian, but unfortunatley, I'm not 100% sure which part of India. I don't want to get him something modern, and since I'm not sure exactly where he's from in India (and I can't really ask), I'm reluctant to get him something ancient, either.

Seems like a silver rupee would be a good choice. Would one from the East India company be taken the wrong (imperialistic) way, or would it be ok? I'm thinking along the lines of

Any other ideas?
We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• Options
    ClankeyeClankeye Posts: 3,928

<< <i>Any other ideas? >>

Maybe since he is from India he would be more interested in a coin from some other country?

I had friends from Ireland visit me and I wanted to take them to a local Irish pub. They said "Why do we want to go there?"

Your friend might be more interested in a gift from a different country.

Edited to reflect your friend may be living here--don't know.
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    I think I'd skip the colonial issues and go for something older. There's a wide range of reactions that may be encountered among Indians, so it would be more diplomatic -- especially with someone whom you don't know well -- to send something from a brighter part of their history.

Clankeye is right, though. Something from the US perhaps would be much more novel and personal.
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    I see Litesiders have infiltrated our domain....image

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    I agree with Clankeye and Askari. I collect Indian coins and as far as Indian coinage I would go with something non-colonial for your friend. There are many wonderful pre-colonial indian coins from the different areas of India to choose from. OR....you could go the lightside route too.... image
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe I have two of these left.

Sometimes you can score them even cheaper on eBay, if you have a sharp eye.

They are old, gold, noteworthy for their teeny size (which makes them sort of a curiosity), and cheap. A winning combo.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Do you know if he is Sikh? If he is then there are some nice Sikh Empire Rupees on the market.
    Corrupting youth since 2004
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, everybody!
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame