Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Proof Liberty V nickels....a good investment?

ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭✭
With relatively low mintages, anyone believe V nickel proofs are a good buy? I'm speaking PF63-65 not ultra gem examples. I'm amazed that you can still pick these up for $200-300 in choice condition. Chris

Comments

• Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    A what nickel image
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345

<< <i>A what nickel image >>

Placid, you 're kidding, right?
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    If you like the series they are a good buy. Small numbers made, not much demand = good buy for you. Not sure about a good investment given the limited demand.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    Yes I was kidding but I don't think anyone should buy them in proof condition.
    If that happened then the prices would go up and I couldn't afford them image
  • Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    A couple years back, some expert wrote an article on this very subject in Coin World. Naturally, he made it clear that it was strictly "educated speculation" but something definitely worth looking into as these coins were not only of low mintage but fairly low priced for as rare as they are.
  • Options
    This series is very confusing given the limited mintage. Why wouldn't you invest in a relative rarity from the 1800's?? I just never thought about the series until recently. Ok noone else buy any and us "speculators" will quiety go to work.
  • Options
    They are not in high demand, are prone to spots and flecks but may nevertheless offer good value.

I think the design is attrative, a "classic' that was overshadowed by the ever popular sucessor bison/indian design.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good value? Yes. Good investment? No.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    Many of them in that grade range look drab or dipped out. I think ones with great mirror like fields are very under appreciated. But they may remain under appreciated so may not be a good investment. If I were speculating in them I'd go for higher grades, PR 65 minimum.
  • Options
    Mr Eureka,

Value vs. investment.....what is your definition of this concept. When the Internet stocks were booming the Value stocks waivered. Now the value stocks are leading the way and the great "investments" in the dotcoms have gone down the drain. Any similarities?? The V 5's are very limited resources. Why shouldn't they flourish in 5-10 years? Chris
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Value vs. investment.....what is your definition of this concept. When the Internet stocks were booming the Value stocks waivered. Now the value stocks are leading the way and the great "investments" in the dotcoms have gone down the drain. Any similarities?? The V 5's are very limited resources. Why shouldn't they flourish in 5-10 years? Chris

Excellent question! First, there is no comparison between stocks and coins. A value stock is one that has, based on book value and earnings projections, limited long term downside and good upside. Coins described as "good value" are just reasonably or cheaply priced compared to other coins. As for the average quality V-Nix, I see no significant change in demand around the corner. They're good, scarce coins, but few people care and that's not likely to change anytime soon. By comparison, superb V-Nix have investment potential. People chase the finest coins when the market is in an upswing. I'm an agressive buyer of solid 65 and better proof V-Nix. Anything lower quality, I'm just a trader.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PR64 = outstanding investment if the coin doesn't have that ugly hazy toning that most do. I was looking for these in Baltimore and I found exactly zero for sale on the whole stinking floor. Got a few PCGS Shield nickels instead.

• Options
    Proof Libertys suffer from the same malady as most Shield issues. They are good values for the money - low mintages and *relatively* low prices according to the mintages.

However, unless the larger coin collecting community begins to change how they feel about these (and Shields), they do not necessarily have the potential to be good investments.

Great, beautiful, underrated, undercollected coins - that's what they are.
  • Options
    My personal opinion would be(don't know if anyone posted yet, don't feel like reading), its not a good investment. Great buy, but not for investments. Investment type coins are things that are hot, or keys and semi-keys. Almost all of these go up nicely every month, some don't, but rarely I see them fall in value.
    Scott Hopkins
    -YN Currently Collecting & Researching Colonial World Coins, Especially Spanish Coins, With a Great Interest in WWII Militaria.

My Ebay!
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've spent some time looking at Liberty Nickels before I bought mine. These coins are really not collected much in grades below MS / PF 65. Big $ is spent on MS / PF 67 coins & higher, but that's about it. In the last year or so, there has been more interest shown in type in MS 66, especially in PCGS holders.

Proofs in this series are available in pretty much all grades; it's a question of what you want to spend. This is because while there are not many of them, there isn't much demand for what's available.

High grade MS coins are far more scarce than PF coins, and IMO are a much better value. Some dates (many in the 1890s) have pops of less than 15 in PC MS 66 holders. Ie., a type coin in PC MS 66 will run in the $1,400 - $1,600 range, while you can pick up a PC PF 66 for 1/2 of this amount.

Another thing is that most early nickels, Shield and Liberty, are ugly coins. Many Uncs. either have a washed-out, gun-metal grey look to them, and many PF coins have the infamous streaky, bodily fluid colored toning. Don't forget the carbon and / or the stains where the carbon was removed.

However, an attractive Liberty Nickel is a beautiful coin. The problem is that you have to do a lot of looking to find one. When you do, expect to pay a premium for it.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    nope
  • Options
    The 1913 is popular.
  • Options
    What is the difference between a good value and a good investment?

A brand new Mustang GT Convertible for $20k is a good value, but a terrible investment!

In this case a good value means you can get a great coin for cheaper than you would in many other series'. If you can get more than $200 of entertainment and enjoyment out of a $200 coin, you've got yourself a great value. On the other hand, the price could well dip down to $150, which means you have a bad investment, but still a good (now even better) value.
    I heard they were making a French version of Medal of Honor. I wonder how many hotkeys it'll have for "surrender."
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These are all neat and undervalued coins in 63 on up. There are some absolutely gorgeous ones out there in 5 and 6 holders but they are hard to find.

As for investment, maybe pick some good stocks instead image
  • Options
    GeminiGemini Posts: 3,085
    Proof Liberty nickels have been quiet for many years and having a nice set of them would be something nice to see and have.
    For future investment who knows but if you like them do it for the love. image
    A thing of beauty is a joy for ever
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Proof LIb nickels are about the cheapest way into the silver/nickel type coin market. As a whole, the entire type coin market is underrated and a good value. But the top grades and series have to go first. The LIb nickels will get hot towards the back end of the move. And as Andy said, most of the interest will be in 65's and higher with eye appeal. Remember that these get decimated after the 1990 crash. They are very common compared to all other major silver type coins so they are currently overlooked. Yes, all proof type is "scarce," but you cannot compare the demand for it like the demand for 20th century registry sets. If that were the case then Gem Proof 65 barber halves would be $25,000 each.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    A 10,000.00 (ten thousand)dollar investment in Harley-Davidson stock in 1988 has outpaced almost any stock investment and ANY coin investment over the last 16 years !
    Its a fact and can be checked easily !

Not that i dont like coins,im just pissed i didnt put 10 k in HDI back in 1988 !
  • Options
    wingedlibertywingedliberty Posts: 4,805 ✭✭
    Calling any numismatic item an investment is mistake number 1.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>...outstanding investment if the coin doesn't have that ugly hazy toning that most do. >>

There's the problem. I haven't seen very many attractive proof Libnicks.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    do you mean financially? probably a terrible investment. but numismatically, they are a fantastic investment.

K S

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file