Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Topps Unopened Supplemental Wax Packs

Hi,

If you are sitting at home reading this, then you are probably not at the National (unless you have some 30th century, solar powered, computerized message board thingy strapped to your arm...or a laptop). With all the talk about the amount of unopened material at the show, I thought that maybe some of you might like to see some too.

Hope you enjoy! I will provide scans of unopened Topps Supplemental Wax Packs from 1955 to 1977. There will be a few that I don't have, so feel free to post scans of anything that is missing (and prices if you want to sell...SPAM, SPAM, SPAM).

Bob

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1955 TOPPS DOUBLEHEADERS

1955 TOPPS HOCUS FOCUS

Don't Have.

1955 TOPPS TEST STAMPS

Not issued in packs.

Comments

• Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    1956 TOPPS HOCUS FOCUS

Don't have.

1956 TOPPS PINS (picture borrowed from current MastroNet auction)

• Options
    1961 TOPPS DICE GAME

Not issued in packs (as far as I know).

1961 TOPPS MAGIC RUBOFFS

Inserted in packs of 1961 Topps.

1961 TOPPS STAMPS

Inserted in packs of 1961 Topps.
  • Options
    1962 TOPPS BASEBALL BUCKS

1962 TOPPS STAMPS

Inserted in packs of 1962 Topps.
  • Options
    1963 TOPPS VALENTINE FOLDEES

1963 TOPPS PEEL-OFFS

Inserted in packs of 1963 Topps.

1963 TOPPS MANTLE MASK

Not issued in packs (available as a send away).
  • Options
    1964 TOPPS COINS

Inserted in packs of 1964 Topps.

1964 TOPPS GIANTS

1964 TOPPS PHOTO TATOOS

imageimage Don't have red pack.

1964 TOPPS STAND-UPS

1964 TOPPS ROOKIE ALL-STAR BANQUET

• Options
    1965 TOPPS EMBOSSED

Inserted in packs of 1965 Topps.

1965 TOPPS TRANSFERS

Inserted in packs of 1965 Topps.

1965 TOPPS PUSH-PULL

Don't have (never seen).
  • Options
  • Options
    1967 TOPPS PIN-UPS

Inserted in packs of 1967 Topps.

1967 TOPPS PIRATES STICKERS

1967 TOPPS RED SOX STICKERS

Don't have.

1967 TOPPS PUNCHOUTS

Don't have.

1967 TOPPS TEST DISCS & SF GIANTS TEST DISCS

Not issued in wax packs.

1967 TOPPS STAND-UPS (borrowed from Topps Test Vault auction)

1967 TOPPS WHO AM I?

• Options
    1968 TOPPS 3-D (wrapper)

1968 TOPPS ACTION STICKERS

1968 TOPPS DISCS

Not issued in packs.

1968 TOPPS GAME (also inserted in 1968 Topps Packs)

1968 TOPPS PLAKS (wrapper)

1968 TOPPS POSTERS

• Options
    1969 TOPPS DECKLE EDGE

Inserted in packs of 1969 Topps.

1969 TOPPS DECALS

Inserted in packs of 1969 Topps

1969 TOPPS 4-in-1

1969 TOPPS STAMPS

1969 TOPPS SUPER

1969 TOPPS TEAM POSTERS

• Options
    1970 TOPPS CANDY LIDS

Don't have.

1970 TOPPS CLOTH STICKERS

Not issued in packs.

1970 TOPPS 1968 POSTERS (1968 Posters repackaged)

1970 TOPPS INSERT POSTERS

Inserted in packs of 1970 Topps.

1970 TOPPS SCRATCH OFFS

Inserted in packs of 1970 (and 1971) Topps.

1970 TOPPS STORY BOOKLETS

1970 TOPPS SUPER (also with white wrapper)

• Options
    1971 TOPPS COINS

Inserted in packs of 1971 Topps.

1971 TOPPS GREATEST MOMENTS

Don't have.

1971 TOPPS SUPER

1971 TOPPS TATTOOS

• Options
    1972 TOPPS CANDY LIDS

Not issued in packs.

1972 TOPPS CLOTH STICKERS

Not issued in packs.

1972 TOPPS POSTERS

• Options
    1973 TOPPS CANDY LIDS

1973 TOPPS COMICS

1973 TOPPS PIN-UPS

1973 TOPPS 53 REPRINTS

Not issued in packs.
  • Options
    1974 TOPPS ACTION EMBLEM CLOTH STICKERS

1974 TOPPS DECKLE EDGE

1974 TOPPS PUZZLES

1974 TOPPS STAMPS

• Options
  • Options
    magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    Very nice ! Thank you Bob.
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Options
    That was extremely cool - thanks for taking the time to upload them, so those of us who couldn't make the national still get some eye-candy. image

Morrie
  • Options
    VirtualizardVirtualizard Posts: 1,936 ✭✭
    Thanks Bob.

One question (so far) - how do you tell the difference between a 1970 Topps Super pack and a 1971 Topps Super pack? They look identical. I'm assuming you might be able to see the card through the back of the pack to differentiate them?

JEB.
  • Options
    mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    Very nice - I feel like I'm at some sort of support group.

Thanks for sharing, Bob.
  • Options

<< <i>how do you tell the difference between a 1970 Topps Super pack and a 1971 Topps Super pack? They look identical. I'm assuming you might be able to see the card through the back of the pack to differentiate them? >>

JEB,

Exactly right. I bought the '71 first and didn't care whether it was '71 or '70. When I got home, I went through my set to try to figure out who the player was (turned out to be Nate Colbert). The copyright line is the same on both packs (1970) so that doesn't help. I finally saw an auction on eBay where I could clearly see the player showing through the wrapper and bought it. Bit of a pain. The white wrapper for 1970 seems to be very difficult to find.

I'm glad you guys liked the packs! Thanks for the thanks!

Bob
  • Options
    I've heard them talked about, and I get the feeling they're as rare as hen's teeth, but what is a 68 Plak? Let the learning begin...
  • Options

<< <i>I've heard them talked about, and I get the feeling they're as rare as hen's teeth, but what is a 68 Plak? Let the learning begin... >>

Try this link. The Old Baseball writeups on Topps test cards are probably the best you will find.

1968 Topps Plaks

• Options
    Jeff,

Here's one of the checklists (front and back). You can see why the checklists are in high demand!

Bob

imageimage
  • Options
    Bob - Are these from your collection (unless noted otherwise)?

I remember so many of these from the stores when I was younger.

Thanks,

Keith
  • Options
    Wow-
    I can't even imagine what kind of stuff you have stashed away, Bob! You should get a table at next year's national and charge people 5 bucks a head for 5 minutes of viewing your collection - it would probably pay for itself in 2 days! Thanks for the link - very informative stuff on there.
  • Options

<< <i>Bob - Are these from your collection (unless noted otherwise)?

I remember so many of these from the stores when I was younger.

Thanks,

Keith >>

Hi Keith,

Yes, unless noted they are mine. I sat around scanning packs for the last few days (while my wife glared at me). Luckily my 3 year old helped me (DADDY...LEMMEE SEE LEMMEE SEE LEMMEE SEE....) I wish I had run into these in the store when I was younger. Would have saved some dough (ummmm, dough). Do you collect packs?

Bob
  • Options

<< <i>You should get a table at next year's national and charge people 5 bucks a head for 5 minutes of viewing your collection >>

Thanks Jeff! Oh, by the way, you have been looking at this thread for 22 minutes and 47 seconds. Please PayPal me $23.00 immediately. image
  • Options
    I just sent you $30 - that should cover the cost of viewing the thread as well as the contents of the 74 Deckle Edge pack. My address is in the Paypal email.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Nice post, Bob. Thanks for sharing the scans...very interesting collection! I remember those 1977 Cloth Sticker packs like it was yesterday...
  • Options
    Jeff,

Sounds good. I'll go ahead and open the pack and see if you get a Ryan...hey it looks like a Ryan....its, its...oh, sorry, its ron bRYANt. Close, but maybe not worth $30. image

B
  • Options

<< <i>Nice post, Bob. Thanks for sharing the scans...very interesting collection! I remember those 1977 Cloth Sticker packs like it was yesterday... >>

ctoxfan,
    I never got to see these in the store. They were all the rage when I started collecting packs because they were unusual but could readily be found. Probably the first supplemental pack I bought.
    Bob
  • Options
    CON40CON40 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Bob;
    Not only is this am impressive run of packs... it's an amazing collection! Thanks for sharing it. I always like to see how some of these products were marketed and packaged. One thing I didn't see... 1951 Topps Connie Mack's or Teams. I guess these kind of like supplemental issues if you consider the Blue and Red Backs to be the year's main release. Do you have any wrappers or unopened on these?
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    thanks a lot Bob!

very informative to see pics of these packs, you have a very nice collection.

is there a holy grail of packs?
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options

<< <i>I've heard them talked about, and I get the feeling they're as rare as hen's teeth, but what is a 68 Plak? Let the learning begin... >>

I don't have a Topps supplemental collection that rivals Bob's, but I do have a 1968 hen's tooth, Kansas farm variation.

...Bob, keep it coming, the more you share details about your collection, the more impressed we become. On another post you mentioned that you've seen most of the supplemental issues listed or in person, correct?

So how many of each '66 Punchout, '67 Standup, and '68 Plak do you think exists? Most items tend to appear eventually, any guestimate what a Yaz in each of the aforementioned would fetch? I remember a '67 Standup Aaron selling for $2500 about two years ago.
    “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin
  • Options
    Thanks Keith. I purposely started at 1955 because I am lacking the 1951 supplementals. If anyone else has packs of these to share, please post them.

--------------------------------------

calleocho,

Thank you too! Holy grail of packs in the Topps Supplementals would probably be the 1967 Topps Stand-Ups pack or the 1971 Topps Greatest Moments pack. As you can see from the 1967 section of this thread, Topps Vault sold an unfolded empty box of the '67s, and quite a few of the die cut examples in Sportscards Plus auction last year had wax stains on the backs. I have also seen a 1971 Greatest Moments unfolded empty box (I think it was also Topps Vault...I have a scan of that one at work). I have never heard of a 71 GM with wax stains though (anybody?)

I have seen packs of Topps Punchouts (and lots of wrappers). Unopened pack of Topps Plaks sold in Sportscards Plus auction for over five grand.

Bob
  • Options

<< <i>So how many of each '66 Punchout, '67 Standup, and '68 Plak do you think exists? Most items tend to appear eventually, any guestimate what a Yaz in each of the aforementioned would fetch? I remember a '67 Standup Aaron selling for $2500 about two years ago. >>

Andrew,

Wow, I have no idea. Helpful aren't I? I don't think that we will see a huge influx of these things into the hobby (despite the rumors of Keith Olbermann having gobs and gobs of stuff). With all of the great stuff that has come out in MastroNet, Lelands, etc. auctions in the last couple of years, it is striking that we have not seen any Punchouts, Punchboards, or Plaks. We have seen a few Dice Game cards, Test Discs (although not any '68s), and pretty many 67 Standups.

Bob

edited to add: forgot to price your Yaz examples. $20 for the punchout, $3 trillion for the Stand Up, and $15 for the Plak (you can guess which one I have) image
  • Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭
    Very nice post, Bob, I too appreciate you taking the time to display them. I remembered a few of them when I started buying packs as a kid in 1970. What struck me when I viewed your packs is that I can still smell the gum.
  • Options

<< <i>...So how many of each '66 Punchout, '67 Standup, and '68 Plak do you think exists? Most items tend to appear eventually, any guestimate what a Yaz in each of the aforementioned would fetch? I remember a '67 Standup Aaron selling for $2500 about two years ago. >>

67standup,

I think you meant '67 Topps Punchouts. Yaz is listed at $250 in NM condition in SCD's catalog. For what it's worth, Stargell is listed at $200 in NM and I picked up this one (obviously not in NM condition) for about $65.

JEB.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>...So how many of each '66 Punchout, '67 Standup, and '68 Plak do you think exists? Most items tend to appear eventually, any guestimate what a Yaz in each of the aforementioned would fetch? I remember a '67 Standup Aaron selling for $2500 about two years ago. >>

67standup,

I think you meant '67 Topps Punchouts. Yaz is listed at $250 in NM condition in SCD's catalog. For what it's worth, Stargell is listed at $200 in NM and I picked up this one (obviously not in NM condition) for about $65.

JEB.

image >>

Nice item Jeb. However, I did mean '66 Punchout (there's no Stargell, and set is not depicted in the Standard Card Catalog) This set is often confused with the '67 Punchboard, for which you show an impressive scan. I'd pay $250 in a heartbeat for a that '67 Yaz Punchboard.

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin
  • Options
    Interesting! Sorry for my lack of knowledge on the issue. I've never heard of or seen one. Do you have a scan of one? Is it the same design as the '67 Punchout?

JEB.
  • Options
    This is one of the few issues for which I've never seen a scan or listing. A pretty penny once it lists.
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    ttt for some great scans..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    OnlypsahockeyOnlypsahockey Posts: 1,479 ✭✭

Awesome collection Bob!

Thanks for sharing.

57 Topps (83%) 7.61
    61 Topps (100%) 7.96
    62 Parkhurst (100%) 8.70
    63 Topps (100%) 7.96
    63 York WB's (50%) 8.52
    68 Topps (39%) 8.54
    69 Topps (3%) 9.00
    69 OPC (83%) 8.21
    71 Topps (100%) 9.21 #1 A.T.F.
    72 Topps (100%) 9.39
    73 Topps (13%) 9.35
    74 OPC WHA (95%) 8.57
    75 Topps (50%) 9.23
    77 OPC WHA (86%) 8.62 #1 A.T.F.
    88 Topps (5%) 10.00
  • Options
    Thought it might be time for this thread to resurface. I'll update it with Topps stuff from '77 through '91 as well as anything that I've managed to snag (or steal a scan of) from the earlier period. Feel free to add any scans of your own. Enjoy! First four are stolen scans.

1951 TOPPS CONNIE MACK WRAPPER

1966 TOPPS PUNCHBOARDS

1967 TOPPS PUNCH-OUT WAX PACK

1971 TOPPS GREATEST MOMENTS BOX

• Options
    1979 TOPPS COMICS

1980 TOPPS PUFFY STICKERS PACK

1980 TOPPS SUPERSTAR PHOTOS PACK

• Options
    1981 TOPPS HOME TEAM PHOTOS