Home Sports Talk
Options

Why does the NFL have instant replay and not MLB?

I don’t know when the NFL started using instant replay but from what I’ve seen it works. Sure it’s not perfect, but it does help weed-out bad calls.

Why are MLB and its fans so opposed to it?

I see penalties in the NFL analogous to balls and strikes in MLB. They both should be non-review-able because they’re judgment calls and as long as the ref/ump is consistent, the coaches are somewhat happy. However, many calls can be broken down as “black or white” with the proper camera angles. Outfielders trapping the ball, homeruns that are foul balls (or the other way around), and base runners that are safe or out can and should be reversed upon review.

The worst call I’ve seen in a while was a few weeks ago when Atlanta hit a foul ball that was called a three run homer. I’m a Braves fan but even I was happy to see Philly comeback to win that game, overcoming the bad call.

Does anyone know why the NFL started using it but not MLB? Slowing the game down, is a disadvantage, but the NFL has overcome that, only 5 minutes(?) of each game is delayed to the instant replay.

Brian

Comments

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great question Brian
    There are people that will write you a book on this question.
    For me, one big point: the game is already long enough and tends to drag - heck, there are some that want to put a timer on the pitchers to speed up the game. The instant replay to assist in determining a call would add precious minutes onto an already, at times, cumbersome - slow moving - sport.
    BTW, I say this with affection - baseball is my favorite sport to watch/collect. But, I will say that I enjoy watching Football better with respect to action.
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i> The instant replay to assist in determining a call would add precious minutes onto an already, at times, cumbersome - slow moving - sport. >>

I agree that it would add more time. But.....

If it is coupled with a few other tweaks to shorten the game (perhaps not letting a relief pitcher warm up on the field after he just warmed up in the bullpen or limiting the number of pickoff attempts, etc.), the two may net each other out time-wise. I would rather see the time that is dragged out or wasted go to good use and correct the occasional egregious call.

Maybe I'm being too idealistic but they tried interleague play and many people love it! Why not give this a shot? There's money here too as there may be an extra commercial break or two while the challenge is in process.

Brian
  • Options

<< <i>Why not give this a shot? >>

Brian
    My response is based on comments to me about the game from younger people - having said that - I really didn't give my opinion - actually, I think the concept is a good idea and may keep people from being tossed from the game for excessive arguing. Now, how do you limit the amount of requests so it doesn't get ridiculous. Perhaps 2 per side and so many for the umps? Just wondering - don't want that aspect to get out of control. Ya know, umps get most of the calls spot on.
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    I agree Mike - 99% of the time they get the calls right. But like all humans they make mistakes. And when they do, it's their "holier than thou" attitude that needs to be changed.

<< <i>I think the concept is a good idea and may keep people from being tossed from the game for excessive arguing. >>

If anything, the umpire deserves to be ejected - he's the one who screwed up!

Like you suggested, two "challenges" per team per game is quite reasonable IMO. Rarely are there 4 or more in the NFL. I think there would only be 1 or 2 on average in baseball as well. In the NFL you get penalized for an incorrect challenge by a loss of a timeout - I don't think there is an analog of a TO for baseball though.

Brian
  • Options
    I believe the umpires are TOTALLY against it - you could EASILY "show them up" at least 2 or 3 (in my opinion) times per game.

Baseball is played in a more "confined" (relatively) space than football. Can you imagine the commotion, and crap that would be thrown on the field when reply showed a "missed-call" at first base???

PLUS, I believe the Player's Association, that holds baseball hostage financially, has a "no-replay" clause in it's contract.

There are 3 things that will never happen while SELIG is the commish:

1 - replay
    2 - Rose reinstated
    3 - selig looking "professional" or "neat" on television

My 2 cents

Dal

• Options
    On a related topic Brian
    What's with the ump being shown up and tossing a player? A player upset with the call, slams the equipment down and the ump tosses him for being shown up. Well, what about the player? Why doesn't the ump walk up to the player and tell him to watch it or tell him I'm giving you the boot for that one. Instead, the up points to the stands screaming "you're outa hereeeeeeeeee!" Shoot the guy practically throws him arm outa it's socket! So if the ump doesn't want to be showed up, don't show up players - the same with the antics on a call 3rd strike. BTW, I'm just bringin this up - I actually like that stuff - baseball can use a little action like a tossing between all the spittin, scractin and grabbin. Just messin around - I'm a big baseball fan!
    So go ahead ump - point to the crowd and give'm hell!

Actually, in this case the ump is saying - "Holy sh*t! That's my wife and who the fawck's lap is she sittin on?"
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Thanks to both of you for the input.

<< <i>I believe the umpires are TOTALLY against it - you could EASILY "show them up" at least 2 or 3 (in my opinion) times per game. >>

I hinted towards this but you hit the nail on the head. Attitude - it's what separates the NFL and MLB ump/ref apart - being man enough to correct one's mistakes.

I didn't know that about the Player's Assoc. I did hear a while back from some Braves announcers that there was something about not being allowed to openly criticize bad calls. Sounds to me like the umps have a real ego trip.

<< <i>So if the ump doesn't want to be showed up, don't show up players - the same with the antics on a call 3rd strike. >>

I agree with you Mike.

I'm a firm believer that many of the umps think the fans came to see them. I was at game 2 of the playoffs between UGA and GA Tech. The ump rang up a Tech player on what he perceived was a called third strike. He jumped and exclaimed

<< <i>YOU'RE OUTTA THERE! >>

The only problem was that he wasn’t keeping track of the count and the called strike was only strike two. Needless to say he got hell from the player, bench, coach, and the crowd.

Brian
  • Options
    BigKidAtHeartBigKidAtHeart Posts: 1,799 ✭✭

<< <i>Why does the NFL have instant replay and not MLB? >>

thye are just different.
    Like the NFL does drug testing for steriods
    but MLB does not (really)....

trying to make sense of these professional sports league rules
    will drive you nuts.

imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>trying to make sense of these professional sports league rules >>

Agreed! Heck, I still can't even make sense out of the instructions on our new microwave!!!
    Mike
    Mike
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    umpires are part of the game, the best one's though you never know they are there.

<<The only problem was that he wasn’t keeping track of the count and the called strike was only strike two.>>

must have been a big strike 2..........lol
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Ed62Ed62 Posts: 857 ✭✭
    I believe it is because the Umps have negotiated it into their bargaining agreement.

I am also told that big screen slow-mo replays of close calls are not shown in ballparks for the same reason. The Umps do not want the eye-witness fans to see the proof of the bad calls.
    Ed
  • Options
    BigKidAtHeartBigKidAtHeart Posts: 1,799 ✭✭

<< <i>I believe it is because the Umps have negotiated it into their bargaining agreement.... The Umps do not want the eye-witness fans to see the proof of the bad calls. >>

this is one of the main reasons that Unions are Bad for this country.
    It just works to keep incompetent people in their jobs.

In the REAL WORLD, people who suck at their job,
    should LOSE their job!
    But thanks to these great Unions - they dont.

(and by the way, this is yet ANOTHER example
    of how politics gets into everthing around us,
    even sports!)

imageimage
  • Options
    The Braves got screwed on a homerun - this time the call was correct, but they overturned it, which cost them the game. Any half-wit that looked at the replay would have seen it was a HR image

Brian
  • Options
    also I think that football games are more important, so each game (and play) is more significant.

16 games compared to 162 (or whatever)

that's a big difference.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MLB absolutely should have instant replay on certain calls. For example on those close Homeruns/Foul Balls - that really is such a no brainer. There is no logical reason whatsoever for not doing this. As Mike stated, a book could be written about this but the bottom line is that instant replay in some form should be done.

PS: F**k the umps! They'll learn to live with instant replay.
  • Options
    CardsFanCardsFan Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭
    I'm against instant replay in the MLB. Imperfection is a part of the game and I think makes it enjoyable, even if does make you angry many times (1985 World Series would be a prime example). The game has really sped up; you can definetely notice how fast the games are being played this year, I wouldn't want to do anything to slow them down.

As for the NFL I don't mind instant replay but wouldn't mind if it went away. There already enough stoppages of play. Plus Martz doesn't use challenges very well so getting rid of it would help my team.
  • Options
    ttt for the new crowd image

baseball still needs instant replay

• Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942
    There had been calls for instant replay in the NFL for years but one or two incidents (don't remember the
    details at the moment) in the NFL playoffs that cost a team the chance to move on because of a really
    bad call by the ump pushed the NFL over the edge on finally doing something about having an instant
    replay system.
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Like the NFL does drug testing for steriods
    but MLB does not (really)....
    >>

You really think the NFL tests for steroid use accurately? Seems very similar to baseball in that respect.
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    I think its just a matter of time before MLB caves in and goes with replay, especially in the playoffs.

I suspect you'll have a very serious error on the part of the umps and you'll see the calls for replay get too loud to ignore.
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    Great discussion.

I am one of those guys who is a purist when it comes to baseball. I hate change. I like the status quo.

That being said, I am still up in the air regarding a replay. I understand all the agreements with the umpires union, the players association, and so on. Even so, it may not hurt in certain situations.

I really dont think more than one per team per game is necessary. There are probably only a dozen or so times a year where it is needed and crucial to a games outcome.

Regarding the time constraints it may have on the game, there are just so many ways in which a baseball game can and should be shortened. The time between innings is longer than it used to be due to commercials/advertising. Even more time consuming than that is the pitchers of today not having a clue on the mound. Does anyone remember when a pitcher threw a ball, the pitch was called, the catcher threw it back and the pitcher was ready to go with the next pitch ? It really is tiring to see a pitcher get the ball, circle the mound, think for a minute, look into the catcher, and so on. Get the ball, be ready and throw the next pitch. They dont even call most of their own pitches today, so there really shouldnt be a problem. Besides, it only helps your defense behind you by working faster, as does it help you catch the batter off guard.

As to what a few of you mentioned concerning the umpires taking over the games, I am tired of seeing that too. Since when did fans go to a game to see the umpire ? Make the call and shut up. Too many of them are out there showboating for the fans and cameras today. The game isnt about them, its about the players. Way too often you see an umpire as the instigator instead of the voice of reason he should be. Unfortunately it will only get worse since their job is as comfy and secure as it will ever be.

What does this all mean ? Why not give the replay a try. Give each team one a game, its up to them to make it count. Too bad about the umpires feelings, they already have enough slack and it isnt about them, its about the contest between the players. One per team per game would only add a trivial amount of time, and may just eliminate bad calls like the Jeffrey Mayer incident the Yankees were the beneficiaries of in 96 ( I know, shocking from a Yankee fan to admit !)
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942

<< <i>I think its just a matter of time before MLB caves in and goes with replay, especially in the playoffs.

I suspect you'll have a very serious error on the part of the umps and you'll see the calls for replay get too loud to ignore. >>

When a team loses the seventh game of a world series because of a very bad call by an ump.......
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bottom line - there should be instant replay in baseball. Wouldn't really slow the game down at all - it would eliminate most of the manager/umpire arguments which take more time than an instant replay would take.

Real bottom line - MLB will never do it.
  • Options
    I am all for instant replay, for every call other than balls and strikes. I would also not be so disgusted, if it is ONLY used in the playoffs and World Series, as opposed to the regular season!!