Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do Slabs Hide Problems with Coins?

LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
Several months ago I purchased a 1913-S $5 half eagle in AU-55 from one of the nationally known dealers. It was slabbed by NGC. After having it for several months, I noticed that it had a rim dent. However, the rim dent was not clearly visible because the insert in the NGC holder somewhat hid the rim damage. It was only if I held it at a certain angle that I could see the dent. Has anyone else run into something like this?
Always took candy from strangers
Didn't wanna get me no trade
Never want to be like papa
Working for the boss every night and day
--"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    The thickness of the insert in NGC slabs tends to obscure coins.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey Lonacre

part of the appeal for NGC slabs with me is that they enhance the appearance of a toned coin. part of poor appeal is as you noted, the rim is hidden. with smaller coins, half-dimes for example, the coin actually sits way dawn there in the tomb. with PCGS holders and the clear insert, not only does a brilliant or white coin look better to me, but it also allows viewing of the rim and edge---the third side---as well as letting better light get to the coin, maybe an optical delusion for me in addition, smaller denomination coins like the aforementioed half-dime seem to sit in the holder better!!!

see, there is more to buying plastic than just the insert numbers.image

al h.image
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,516 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, sadly they do and of late NGC has become a real bad boy in this area. The thick sides of the NGC holder allows them to hide rim nicks more easily than the PCGS holder. I've seen quite a few silver dollars especially where the nick has been partially hidden by the holder. You really have to look for it, but it's worth doing.

The worst situation I have had was with a PCGS holder than had been intentially scratched to hide that fact that the coin was damaged. I had only started as a dealer, and a collector gave me a want list for a RAW Draped Bust quarter. I spotted a piece in a PCGS holder that was graded VF-20. The holder was badly scratched, but I thought that I could see enough of the coin to say that it was OK.

When I cracked the holder I was amazed to find that the coin had been polished and recolored. It other words it should have gone into a body bag, NOT a holder. I had purchased the coin from a very well known dealer, and he and I had a "very pointed discussion." In the end I lost $200 on the deal and learned a valuable lesson. I also will never to business with that dealer again.

If you can't see the coin in the slab well, regardless of the grade DON"T BUY IT!
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    I have an 1800 Maundy penny in an NGC holder...it's a nightmare trying to look at it!
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    this might also be food for thought regarding a recent CW article in which Anthony Swiatek noted that NGC doesn't factor the edge of a coin into the grade while PCGS does. that was denounced by some as hogwash.

al h.image
  • Options
    I will agree that rims are very tricky when dealing with slabbed coins.
  • Options
    spy88spy88 Posts: 764 ✭✭
    I agree that the material used by NGC and ANACS in their slabs is too thick. Even with railroad-rimmed Jeffs, the rims/edges are usually beyond viewing. The simple fact that it's easier to mass produce these rubbery things at one thickness to accomodate any coin is the reason why, but not reason enough.

PCGS definitely has the edge here.

Al---I presently have the question about taking the edge/rim into grading (along with the thickness of the material), up with NGC. I'm sure they will dispel this notion.

David
    Everything starts and everything stops at precisely the right time for precisely the right reason.
  • Options
    islemanguislemangu Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭
    Do Slabs Hide Problems with Coins?

Yes, some companies more than others. Mostly via the text printed on the insertsimage
    YCCTidewater.com
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    absolutely. of course it's only an issue if you crack your coins out, like i do!

my worst problem recently was w/ an anacs large cent, it had a "split" on the rim that was 100% invisible in the holder. in the past, i've seen 'em net-graded, but this 1 slipped by the anacs dudes, & i'm stuck w/ a problem coin.

of course, if i just wouldn't crack 'em out ....... NAAAHHH!

K S
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    "Do Slabs Hide Problems with Coins?"

Yes, and not just rim problems.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file