2009 Cent

What should it look like.

And what about after 2009.
Totally new design?

What do you think.

Comments

• Options
    prooflikeprooflike Posts: 3,879 ✭✭
    What makes you think there will even be a cent in 2009??

• Options
    2009 should bear the "1909-2009" date, centennial wheatie reverse.

2010 should resume the lincoln front, and classic wheat cent reverse.
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    Here is a Lincoln Bicentennial Commision Link to see what is currently being recommended. Download the full report to see.

Report Text

Abraham Lincoln Bicentennial Penny and Commemorative Coin:

The Commission recommends a redesign of the reverse side of the Lincoln
    penny in 2009. This redesign should take the form of a series reflecting different
    significant locations, themes or events in his life, possibly including the three
    “Lincoln States” of Kentucky, Indiana, and Illinois, and perhaps extending to
    New York (Cooper Union Address), Pennsylvania (Gettysburg Address), and
    Washington, DC. If economically feasible, it would be desirable to differentiate
    the 2009 penny color from past and future colors; however, we do not recommend
    increasing the cost of minting the one cent coin. We believe that a Lincoln
    penny series would dramatically highlight important stages of Lincoln’s life and
    would appeal to coin collectors and especially to ordinary people as they go
    about daily transactions. We will collaborate with the Bureau of the Mint on the
    redesign of the penny, and we understand that Congressional support and
    legislation may be needed.

In addition, the Commission recommends that a Lincoln Commemorative Coin be
    minted in silver and sold to interested members of the public. After careful review of
    the requirements and helpful consultations with the Bureau of the Mint, we consider
    the Abraham Lincoln Bicentennial Commission to be the most appropriate and fitting
    sponsor, since it has been authorized by Congress to recommend, plan, and
    coordinate the national celebration honoring the 200th anniversary of Lincoln’s birth.
    We recognize that Congressional legislation will be required to permit a Lincoln
    Commemorative coin. There should be no burden on public funds since the
    commemorative coins are minted to demand and sponsoring groups receive
    surplus funds only after expenses are covered.

Edited: to include text from report
  • Options
    wingedlibertywingedliberty Posts: 4,805 ✭✭
    It should be the Reagan Obverse cent, with 10 different commem reverses,

1. B1 bomber
    2. Star Wars laser satellite
    3. Berlin Wall
    4. Congress
    5. Gorbachev
    6. Thatcher
    7. George Bush The Elder
    8. M1 tank
    9. California Grizzly Bear
    10.Hollywood sign.
  • Options
    atarianatarian Posts: 3,116
    hmm ya know i can see a Lincoln head side ( and come on lets move where the date is and the liberty is .( lets spice it up. Date on top Liberty on the Bottom In god we trust to the right of lincoln and to the left MINT MARK P D and S. LETS BRING THE P BACK TO
    P ennies.

on the other Side Log cabin with it saying soemthing about where and when he was born. sounds like a true traditional winner to me
    Founder of the NDCCA. *WAM Count : 025. *NDCCA Database Count : 2,610. *You suck 6/24/10. <3 In memory of Tiggar 5/21/1994 - 5/28/2010 <3
  • Options
    baccarudabaccaruda Posts: 2,588 ✭✭
    IF there is a 2009 cent - it'll most likely be made of plastic.
    1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    i think it,d be cool to see Lincoln wearing his famous top hat for the `09 cent.

for the reverse have a log cabin.

• Options
    how about we have him face the other direction to the coins left with the top hat. ( but i really think we are to move the date liberty and in god we trust. cause its so predictable
    Founder of the NDCCA. *WAM Count : 025. *NDCCA Database Count : 2,610. *You suck 6/24/10. <3 In memory of Tiggar 5/21/1994 - 5/28/2010 <3
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>2010 should resume the lincoln front, and classic wheat cent reverse >>

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,422 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be great if it were bronze with the wheat reverse and the original
    design with the VDB. ...and it should be available only in mint sets and with
    the S mint mark in the proof set.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    If there are going to be reverse designs associated with states, get ready for some more state outlines!
  • Options
    SemperFISemperFI Posts: 802 ✭✭✭
    My idea would be to keep the original Lincoln Obverse with a 1909-2009 date. The Reverse would use the original 1909 VDB Wheat Back. There will be the "The Lincoln Bicentennial Collectors Set" and will be minted in Proof DCAM and Uncirculated. The Metal contents will be Copper, Silver and Gold. The Copper and Silver Coins will all be minted at the Philadelphia and San Francisco Mints in Proof DCAM and Matte Uncirculated. The Gold Coins will be minted at the West Point Mint in Proof DCAM and in Matte Uncirculated. All coins will keep the original size and thickness of the Lincoln Cent.

Also included in this set will be the original One Cent Design which was the head of Victory in profile wearing an Indian headdress which was later used on the 1907 $10 instead of on the Cent. The coin will be minted in Matte Uncirculated from the Philadelphia Mint.

1909-2009 Victory Profile Wearing Indian Headdress Copper Matte Uncirculated Philadelphia Mint (mintage 250,000)
    1909-2009 Copper Matte Uncirculated Philadelphia Mint (mintage 250,000)
    1909-2009 Copper Proof DCAM San Fracisco Mint (mintage 250,000)
    1909-2009 Silver Matte Uncirculated Philadelphia Mint (mintage 100,000)
    1909-2009 Silver Proof DCAM San Fracisco Mint (mintage 100,000)
    1909-2009 Gold Matte Uncirculated West Point Mint (mintage 10,000)
    1909-2009 Gold Proof DCAM West Point Mint (mintage 10,000)

Your Ideas and Stories
    The Lincoln Bicentennial Commission is seeking compelling, appropriate and unique ways to honor Abraham Lincoln leading up to the bicentennial year of his birth in 2009. We want your input! All suggestions will be compiled and reviewed by the Commission, and will help shape the recommendations the Commission will make to Congress in 2004. By submitting an idea, you will become an active participant in this historical project.

http://www.lincolnbicentennial.gov/ideas-new.html
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The cent needs to go the way of the half cent. (that is to say, become obsolete)

Bring back the 2 cent piece! Put Reagan on it!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    the Duel date cent seems like a knock off of the Canadian 1992 cent. im not a major fan of such a small date being duel ( the 2004 is small enough without cramming 8 digits. but they SHOULD being the P D and S all back ( the P is the only thing they would be beinging back) what you think would a 2009 P cent be nice
  • Options
    merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    Cam40
    IMHO,the 2009 should look exactly as the 1909 did and should be of the same metal composition.There should be a "Proof" VDB and NO VDB made only with brilliant surface instead of Matte Proof.Then discontinue the "Cent" altogether.
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • Options
    Purple73Purple73 Posts: 2,016

I say they go back to miss Liberty on the coin and Make them large cents again. Now that would be awesome LOL but very hated because of size.

PURPLE
  • Options
    MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,545 ✭✭
    I have this thing about Lincoln and Washinton on coins. I think these are the two guys that should always be on a coin. Washinton is the father of our country and Lincoln saved our country from itself.

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer
  • Options

<< <i>I say they go back to miss Liberty on the coin and Make them large cents again. Now that would be awesome LOL but very hated because of size.

PURPLE >>

I often pay at my local quickie mart (convience store) with cents.... they are annoyed enough (I wish I could pay in Miss Liberties.

Now if I had a million dollars thats what I would do.... ha-ha-ha-ha

-Greg
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!

E-mail GRU Coins
  • Options
    Purple73Purple73 Posts: 2,016
    hahhah

I read on here that Forum member RUSS ( the guy that likes the kennedys) paid with a 2 cent piece before. LOL could you imagine the look on the cashiers face LOL.

PURPLE
  • Options

<< <i>hahhah

I read on here that Forum member RUSS ( the guy that likes the kennedys) paid with a 2 cent piece before. LOL could you imagine the look on the cashiers face LOL.

PURPLE >>

Ok.... here is the all time way to rip people off for 50 cents.

Pay with a Half Dollar for an item that ends evenly to the dollar. Distract the cashier while shes taking the money and 80% of the time she will believe it is a dollar... The way most people hold money when taking it at a register the word "half" gets covered up and often they just see the word dollar.

This once happened to me at an arcade by accident... I made a quick 50 cents... I was with a few of my buddies and they said i bet you can't trick 5 out of ten to think its a dollar. so basically we went to every little dollar store 10 miles around to make purchases 8 of 10 believed it was a dollar without ever being coersed in any way. I of cource pointed out the mistake and gave them the 50 cents back.... suprisingly 3 of the 8 didn't even want the 50 cents back (they thought I was trying to trick them in sum way by correcting there mistake).... lol... TRY it sometime its fun to see the reaction you get.

-Greg
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!

E-mail GRU Coins
  • Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wheat reverse, Lincoln obverse for 2009. 1909-2009 date.
    2010 discontinue the cent.

The centennial year should be understated and not hyped up like everything else the Mint has been doing lately. The Mint trying to make a buck is not in the best interest of the collector and that's what this is going to become. Like someone said, more state outlines on coins will probably be the designs produced so as to not offend or leave anyone out of the "celebration" of his 100th anniversary of his birth.

Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭
    Make as many commem cents as they want in 2009.

But for 2010 and onward? Kill it. No more cents, please.
  • Options
    By then we will probably have a National Credit Card. There will no longer be a need for real money and the cent will be a medal or token of some type.
    ~Elephants and Rhinos~
    ~I'm ready, I'm ready~
  • Options
    Can the cent and remove DEAD presidents from our coins.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    Since canning the cent would require removing taxes, and since the only two things in life that are guaranteed are death and taxes, the cent will be around for a very long time.
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    Since canning the cent would require removing taxes, and since the only two things in life that are guaranteed are death and taxes, the cent will be around for a very long time.

Thank you. I.m glad someone said it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file