Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Grade the bust $1---GRADE REVEALED

cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭✭
How would you grade this one ?

Thanks for the opinions. This coin was in an ANACS xf-40 holder and now sits in an NGC vf-25 holder. It has been my experience that ANACS is more loose on bust coinage. I think they are generous on weak strikes.
Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

Comments

• Options
    double headed ??
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    VF
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    cmanbbcmanbb Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭✭✭
    VF20 to VF25
  • Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    I'd say VF-20
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options
    JrGMan2004JrGMan2004 Posts: 7,557
    Looks like it has a little bit of luster left to me... nice detail, open collar after all... doesn't look to be a whole lot of actual wear... I'd go XF-40, maybe XF-45 if there is more luster... but, on the other hand, looks like it's been cleaned...
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fine 12, maybe 15. I don't think VF.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570
    F15
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    VF20
  • Options
    SethChandlerSethChandler Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭✭
    VF20
    Collecting since 1976.
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    vf-20
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    Looks like it's been cleaned, but I'd probably say VF-30 details -- looks weakly struck in the centers, but there's good definition in the bust and lower curls.
  • Options
    TUMUSSTUMUSS Posts: 2,207
    F-15 (with old cleaning)
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    What reverse die is that? I can't seem to find a match for this area.

• Options
    See original post for grade.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    interesting!

This one is also graded VF25:

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    I like yours better Baley. I think mine is a solid VF and yours a Vf-30. Nice original coin.

• Options
    I have one that was in an ANACS VF-30 holder and is now PCGS VF-20. I think it's better than that though and will probably submit it for a regrade someday:

• Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This coin was in an ANACS xf-40 holder and now sits in an NGC vf-25 holder. >>

technically, ngc's grade sounds better - BY TYPE. however, it almost looks like the coin has a little luster, in which case, if graded by die variety, it might well be vf-35 / xf

K S
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,552 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The is a classic Fine-15 that has been cleaned. It's what almost always gets into VF holders these days.

If ANACS did grade this coin EF-40, they were way off base. Years ago I had an ANACCS EF-45. Today the same coin is in an NGC AU-55. That shows you have times have changed.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This one's in an ANACS. 40 is the number.

????

Fer wot itz worth.

• Options
    ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭
    All of them are alot nicer than my 1799 PO01.

Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,552 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This one's in an ANACS. 40 is the number.

????

Fer wot itz worth.

image >>

Using the classic standards this coin would be a very choice VF-30. I recetnly sold an 1802 over 1 in an NGC VF-35 holder that looked very similar to this.

Nice Coin! image
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file