Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Update for Toned Coin Collectors Society

A new coin collecting organization has been formed for those of you who enjoy collecting toned coins. image We have called it the Toned Coin Collectors Society (TCCS). We will be holding our 1st formal meeting at the Pittsburgh ANA -the official (per the ANA) date and time of our inaugeral meeting is Thursday, August 19 at 11:30 am in room 323 of the David L. Lawrence Convention Center. We are listed in the Official ANA Schedule of Events which will be available at the convention.
ANA Schedule of events
(see page 3 left hand column - Note the web listing is confusing - Thurday's event start on page 2 Rt column and continue on pg 3 in the left column)

Our goal is to promote the collecting of toned coins and will be primarily educational. A website and quarterly publications are planned. We hope to have a strong collector and dealer base to promote this segment of our hobby. We are an ANA affiliated club and hope to work with the ANA to promote this segment of our hobby.

If you are interested in joining and/or participating in our collecting and educational activities, please either PM me or respond to this thread. (PMs will be appreciated as I can review them even after this thread is long gone).

The following is an updated list of the TCCS Founders and their forum handles - (if I have left you name off this list, it is not intentional, please PM me and I’ll make the necessary additions).

Bryan Sonnier GSAGuy
Bryan Orsborn ToneKiller
Ron Sirna Newmismatist
Jason Stevens JBSteven
Dave Schweitz MS68
Marshall Rose Gemtone65
Tom Bush TomB
Tom Turissini BigMoose
Jack Kelly Toned dollars
Mike De Falco coingame2000
Andy Kimmel
Richard Abrahams MrD
Lance Tchore

Here’s a draft of the Mission Statement of the Toned Coin Collectors Society (TCCS):

<< <i>To advance the numismatic knowledge of toned coins through educational, historical and scientific means; to assist in bringing together persons interested in collecting toned coins; to promote greater popular interest in collecting toned coins and in the numismatic study of toned coins; to aid its members through the study, acquisition and exhibition of toned coins; and to assist or encourage other worthy numismatic causes. The TCCS shall encourage and promote interest in the collecting and exhibiting of toned coins, conduct educational seminars and publish information regarding toned coins, cultivate friendly relations between society members, other collectors who collect toned coins and dealers of toned coins, and encourage and assist new collectors who are interested in collecting toned coins. >>

Additional concepts of the Toned Coin Collectors Society would include the following:

1. To assist collectors in identifying, acquiring and preserving, original toned coins, with an emphasis on those toned coins that are particularly eye appealing.

2. To provide information to collectors and potential collectors of toned coins on such topics as pricing, the concepts of acceptable eye appealing toned coins and sources of available toned coins.

3. To provide a means for collectors who are interested in acquiring original toned Coins to interact with dealers and other collectors who have toned coins for sale.

4. To maintain archival data of different categories and classes of original toned coins, with emphasis on the most spectacularly toned pieces.

5. To assist and provide research as to the nature and characteristics of original toned coins, including the different sources of toning, the toning process itself and the variations in toning characteristics.

6. To assist and provide research as to the availability and variations of color, grade availability, including eye appeal factors by date and mint for particular series of coins (like Morgan dollars, Franklin Halves, etc).

7. To facilitate the exchange of information among dealers and collectors regarding the above enumerated aspects of originally toned coins so as to enhance the collecting and study of originally toned Coins.

8. To assist and encourage the collecting of toned coins by working in conjunction with the ANA and the ANA’s Young Numismatist program and to provide resource information and examples of original toned coins.

9. To attend, participate in and conduct educational seminars to teach and assist those persons who are interested in learning about all aspects of collecting toned coins.

This is a work in process, so your thoughts, suggestions and comments will be appreciated.

Collecting eye-appealing Proof and MS Indian Head Cents, 1858 Flying Eagle and IHC patterns and beautiful toned coins.

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.” Mark Twain
Newmismatist

Comments

• Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    do you plan to have regular publications such as the JRCC?

I am not a tone addict, but I'm always up for something that will assist me in education when coins are involved.
  • Options
    DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    Sounds great!

[ql]5. To assist and provide research as to the nature and characteristics of original toned coins, including the different sources of toning, the toning process itself and the variations in toning characteristics >>

Education for the collecting public on what is original and what is doctored. Wonderful!!! image

Best of luck!

Dan
  • Options
    HadleydogHadleydog Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭
    imageimage
  • Options
    sTONERsTONER Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭
    sound excellant guys,,imageimage,,,STEVE
    toner loner
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it! image

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    NewmismatistNewmismatist Posts: 1,802 ✭✭
    Forgot to mention: Dues are $25/year and let me know who's going to be at the ANA in Pittsburgh to attend our inaugural meeting.
    Collecting eye-appealing Proof and MS Indian Head Cents, 1858 Flying Eagle and IHC patterns and beautiful toned coins.

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.” Mark Twain
    Newmismatist
  • Options
    $25? image With my way of cherrypicking toners, do you realize how many toned coins I could get with that money? image

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options

<< <i>$25? image With my way of cherrypicking toners, do you realize how many toned coins I could get with that money? imageimage >>

Jeremy - how do you buy a half a coin? BTW dues are only $10 for those under age 18 - so you may get in cheap for awhile image

Newmismatist
  • Options
    image Count me in...
  • Options
    Great Idea! I certainly plan on joining and would love to be at your 1st formal meeting, BUT, it coincides with the registry luncheon. Any chance you could change the meeting time?

Don
    Don

• Options

<< <i>Jeremy - how do you buy a half a coin? BTW dues are only $10 for those under age 18 - so you may get in cheap for awhile >>

Watch me at a show--you should have seen what I walked away with for under $25 at the Colorado Springs Show... man I'm gonna be rich! image

As for being under 18... quick, sign me up for 10 years! image
  • Options

<< <i>As for being under 18... quick, sign me up for 10 years! >>

Jeremy - if you're only 8 we're gonna need a permission slip from your parents image

Newmismatist
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great idea - do R, RB and BR IHC's qualify??imageimage
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options

<< <i>Great Idea! I certainly plan on joining and would love to be at your 1st formal meeting, BUT, it coincides with the registry luncheon. Any chance you could change the meeting time?

Don >>

Don

I'll see if there is another time slot available - but no matter what I pick (actually no matter what time slot the ANA assigns to us) it will ocnflict with something - but as there are a number of forum members who may be interested, I'll see what I can do to get a different time.

Newmismatist
  • Options
    jbstevenjbsteven Posts: 6,178
    I hope a good amount of people take the time to come by the meeting to join and be a part of this. I am persoanlly looking forward to the development of the organization.

If you like toned coins please come by.

• Options

<< <i>Great idea - do R, RB and BR IHC's qualify??imageimage >>

Tim - Are the "Rs" toned? You betcha - I personally like some of the RBs and BNs better than the Rs - they have more character!

Newmismatist
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have called it the Toned Coin Collectors Society

...and the first meeting will be at what tanning salon?
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Should be called the" Keebler Cookie Club of Toned Coins"
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options

<< <i>We have called it the Toned Coin Collectors Society

...and the first meeting will be at what tanning salon? >>

Actually a pizza reataurant with a wood burning stove would be more conducive to our agenda than UV light imageimage

Newmismatist
  • Options
    Great idea and worthy goals. Best of luck.image
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually a pizza reataurant with a wood burning stove would be more conducive to our agenda than UV light

I hear beer-toned pennies are pretty - pick one with good beer on tap. imageimage
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lots of cahones to list the names of the charter members, along with their handles. The Hagers are always looking for fresh coin people to enjoin in their lawsuit. image
  • Options
    jbstevenjbsteven Posts: 6,178
    RYK

How would anyone include our group in ANY kind of lawsuit?
  • Options

<< <i>Lots of cahones to list the names of the charter members, along with their handles. The Hagers are always looking for fresh coin people to enjoin in their lawsuit. image >>

Our organization has nothing to do with the "Hagers", hasn't mentioned them that I'm aware of and I can't conceive of where your comment comes from or the relevence to the Toned Coin Collectors Society - if there's something that you know that I don't, please PM me so that I can address it in the proper forum.

Newmismatist
  • Options

<< <i>Actually a pizza reataurant with a wood burning stove would be more conducive to our agenda than UV light

I hear beer-toned pennies are pretty - pick one with good beer on tap. imageimage >>

Tim

We've got a great micro brewery here - if you're going to Pittsburgh, I'll bring a "growler" of some fresh brewed hefiweisen to share!

Newmismatist
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We've got a great micro brewery here - if you're going to Pittsburgh, I'll bring a "growler" of some fresh brewed hefiweisen to share!

Talk is cheap. I'm still waiting for my single malt! image
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How would anyone include our group in ANY kind of lawsuit?

The Hagers have apparently without real cause added other participants of "an online forum." Maybe I am paranoid, but I am more afraid of the Hagers and plaintiff lawyers than I am afraid of thieves.

Edited to add: I never meant to imply that that any of the above have ever made any statements damaging to the Hagers or ACG. In fact, the above group has been largely out of the fray--where I would want to be.

Edited to add again: Sorry, I did not intend to hijack your thread. image I wish you the best with your club. It sounds like it should be a lot of fun and educational.
  • Options

<< <i> Sorry, I did not intend to hijack your thread. image I wish you the best with your club. It sounds like it should be a lot of fun and educational. >>

RYK No offense taken - I was just a bit dazed and confused at the ACG reference - But in some respect, one of the main goals of our organization - an educated coin collector - is exactly the type of thing that persons who sell hype will not want to see - maybe we're on to somethingimage

Newmismatist
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>RYK

How would anyone include our group in ANY kind of lawsuit? >>

As evidenced by a certain lawsuit, apparently anyone can be named for just about anything.

Tomimage
  • Options
    I'm in and very excited about being part of this organization.

Mike
    DE FALCO NUMISMATIC CONSULTING
    Visit Our Website @ www.numisvision.com
    Specializing in DMPL Dollars, MONSTER toners and other Premium Quality U.S. Coins

*** Visit Mike De Falco's NEW Coin Talk Blog! ***
  • Options
    I look forward to our meeting in Pittsburgh. I hope everyone brings something for show and tell. Just to avoid the impending lawsuit, maybe we should extend an invitation to the Hagars. image
    David Schweitz
  • Options
    Well, if your involved Mikey, I guess I will have to join too.image

Gotta have one Democrat in the organization.image
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    puffpuff Posts: 1,475
  • Options
    Sign me up! I can't make Pittsburg, but I assume there'll be a West Coast Chapter Meeting @ Long Beach.

Are you going to have Lifetime/Charter Member dues as well? If so, sign me up as a Charter/Lifetime member!!! Are we going to get neat little cards with our name and pics of toned coins on them as IDs?

Michael
  • Options
    islemanguislemangu Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭
    YCCTidewater.com
  • Options
    USAROKUSAROK Posts: 887 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a great idea! PM sent.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the great responses. TO answer a few questions that have been raised:

1. We hope to have a quarterly newsletter/publication - with todays technology, it may be a webbased publication - our organization deals with the visual aspects of toning and a color print publication would be very costly where as a web-based publication could have numerous photos

2. Dues are $25/year ($10 for juniors - under age 18 - but NO Jeremy, you can't buy a 10 year Jr. membership UNLESS you're 8 image )

3. Our primary purpose will be educational and to give those collectors and dealers a forum to analyses and discuss toning - The present commitment from numerous knowledgeable and well respected toning experts gives our organization a strong likihood of success.

4. We do not intend to be a coin "posse" organization. However, if an educated collector is better able to determine NT from AT, so much the better, but the process to accomplish that goal is to acquire a good knowledge basis of coins, grading and understanding the toning process itself. It's kinda like learning how to grade so that when one of the services "misses" you're not stuck with an over-graded coin because you didn't take the time to learn how to grade -

5. Someone suggested that we will "weed" out AT coins. As our organization is not a grading service, we can't "weed" out anything - all we can do is encourage collectors to better understand toned coins and how and why they end up looking like they do - whether naturally toned image, naturally untoned image, dipped and stripped image, or heaven forbid, artificially toned image! Ultimately, its the collector who's responsible for "weeding out" those coins that are unacceptable - and a collector who acquires an understanding of the toning process and the difference between the look of a naturally toned coin, and what AT coins look like will be able to make better decisions as to what he or she she buy and collect. Its really quite simple - If nobody wants them, than there will be no incentive to make 'em. Education and the knowledge that results is the key to a succesful collector, and this is true whether as to counterfits, overgraded coins, and AT coins.

6. I deliberately choose to make the announcement of this Organization on these boards because during the time I have read and posted here I have seen an effort by numerous board members to assit other collectors in acquiring a braod knowledge regarding grading, toning and altered and fake coins. Sometimes it gets a little rambunctous, even nasty, but I think many in this group are dedicated neumismatists and will not only welcome our organization, but will become active and important contributors to not only the TCCS, but to our over-all hobby.

7. To the few nay-sayers - my simple response is - come to our meeting in Pittsburgh - see what we're about and thenn if you don't like what we're trying to accomplish give us your reasoned opinions -

8. With regard to our meeting time in Pittsburgh, I will try and change the time so that it doesn't conflict with the PCGS luncheon - I didn't realize that it was scheduled at the same time, but the ANA does the scheduling and I'll have to ask them to make the change for us - I think there may be a time slot open at 11:30 am on Thursday Aug 19 and I try and switch to that date and time.

9. For all those interested in joining, I'll prepare an Application to fill out and if you PM me your name and email address, I'll send it to you in downloadable PDF format - better yet come to Pittsburgh for the first ever meeting of the Toned Coin Collectors Society - and put your 2 cents in ( - I'll accept nice toned Morgans also! image )

10. To those who don't like toned coins - well, have a glass of jeweluster - just try not to drink too much at one sitting image

Newmismatist
  • Options
    TonekillerTonekiller Posts: 1,308 ✭✭
    We are currently creating the backbone of an extensive web site that will allow for communication, education, photo examples, etc. This is a work in progress and open for impute always.

TBT
  • Options
    MorganluverMorganluver Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

Sounds like a neat idea and a great bunch of guys. I would love to be a part. image
  • Options

<< <i>2. Dues are $25/year ($10 for juniors - under age 18 - but NO Jeremy, you can't buy a 10 year Jr. membership UNLESS you're 8 image) >>

I'm suing for age discrimination!!!
  • Options
    This is a great idea, I would like to help anyway I can and become a Member. Sorry but I want be able to make the show for the first meeting. PM Sent
    Thanks
    Allen
    Love those TONED Coins, a true Addict!!!

Proud member of TCCS!
  • Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Newmismatist,

Can you give us a clear definition for artificial toning? Also a clear definition for natural toning. Thanks.
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you give us a clear definition for artificial toning? Also a clear definition for natural toning.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

<< <i>Newmismatist,

Can you give us a clear definition for artificial toning? Also a clear definition for natural toning. Thanks. >>

To paraphrase Justice Potter Stewert "I know it when I see it"

Pretty hard to define without visuals and a little show and tell image

Newmismatist
  • Options
    Natural:

Better be Natural:
  • Options
    TONEDDOLLARSTONEDDOLLARS Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Interesting concept, I look forward to see more.
    Actually learning a few things here. What a great site.

My Ebay Sales
  • Options
    Here's the preliminary list of User Names of those who indicated that they would like to be members of the Toned Coin Collectors Society:

NOTE: If your name is not on this list and should be PM me w/name & at least an email address. If your name is on this list and you don't want to be in this organization, please let me know - Note not everyone sent me an email address, so if you didn't provide me with your email address please PM it to me. Thanks

FC57Coins
    Sandhawk
    Stoner
    cdwegner
    steelheadbob
    coingame2000
    Islemangu
    KyleKnap
    LanLord
    RYK
    ArtR
    toningintheblood
    Morganluver
    Oak
    Toners
    mrearlygold
    airplanenut
    rotatedrainbows
    USAROK
    ccrdragon
    IdahoGal
    rainbowquarters
    Bear
    Frattlaw
    Michael
    IslandCoins
    HaydenTubbs

Newmismatist
  • Options
    TonedCoinTraderTonedCoinTrader Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭
    Don't forget me on that list Newmismatist image I just got back from vegas. Thank's for the PM yeup I'm still In.

Scott

Toned Coins for sale @ tonedcointrader.com
  • Options
    Gee, I wonder if we will every see the" Artfully Toned by The Skilled Hand of Man Association".

Their dubious motto could be why settle for less, then chemistries best.Its getting harder and harder to spot the best

of these Doctors handy work. We really need this association of reputable dealers and collectors, who specialize in Naturally toned

coins to protect us poor schnooks. Wish this had been done 10 years ago. It will be good for the collectors, the dealers and

the hobby.
    Camelotimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file