Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The power of plastic

rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
There are two (one PCGS, one NGC) 1937 D Mercs in 67 FB in tonight's Teletrade auction.....check the prices....then check the coins....any comments?????imagelink 1 link 2
"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
rainbowroosie April 1, 2003

Comments

• Options
    TONEDDOLLARSTONEDDOLLARS Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭
    I can not believe the difference in price right now 6:45pm
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep thats why I buy more NGC slabs than PCGS.

Chris
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    I see similar disparity all the time in the early date Kennedys. It creates opportunities.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    ridiculous...
  • Options
    Catch22Catch22 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭
    If that doesn't demonstrate the effects of market grading and set registry, I don't know what does. Not to mention the fact that PCGS graded coins almost always command higher premiums than the competition.

When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary.

Thomas Paine
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

It's the perception that PCGS is a tougher grader than NGC.

Probably both coins are 67FB at either service, which makes the NGC coin a much better value.
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    It creates opportunities.

I totally agree- I think sometimes people are just paying more for a reputation, and not a quality difference in the coin.... image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the PCGS coin is a woofer......or even a sub-woofer.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    msch1manmsch1man Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow!!!! I don't know how much they pay whoever is in charge of marketing at PCGS, but I would say that they are worth every penny.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a really good illustration of the point (at least, at the price levels as of this post- $120 for the NGC coin and $280 for the PCGS). Even if the coins were of equal eye appeal, that would be quite a price spread. But they aren't. The PCGS coin has ugly toning, in my opinion, and the much-cheaper NGC coin has gemmy luster which reaches out and grabs the eye.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah but, but, the PCGS one is "Rainbow." Guess you guys forgot about that.image
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭
    How about this "power of plastic"?

California Halves: ANACS MS64 ANACS MS64 PCGS MS64
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The California half thing is freakin' bizarre.

Maybe people just like ugly coins.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

<< <i>Probably both coins are 67FB at either service >>

Take a very close look at the bands.
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apparently, in some circles, splotchy, turd-colored toning commands a strong premium, assuming this isn't shill bidding. Apparently, some like this toning so much, that they don't care whether or not the coin has full bands (doesn't look like it to me).

FWIW, a number of people I consider to be "in the know" have told me that dealers have a harder time selling Mercs & SLQs in NGC vs. PCGS holders. Personally, I think this NGC coin says, "buy me," while the 'toned' coin wants to be back in the toilet bowl with his buddies.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    The California Half threesome is indeed wierd!!!
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That PCGS coin is butt ugly too!
  • Options
    jeffnpcbjeffnpcb Posts: 1,943
    The grades may be solid, but I don't care for the splotchy toning on the PCGS coin. Hard to tell, but I would have to go with the NGC and let review handle the other one.
    HEAD TUCKED AND ROLLING ALONG ENJOYING THE VIEW! [Most people I know!]

NEVER LET HIPPO MOUTH OVERLOAD HUMMINGBIRD BUTT!!!

WORK HARDER!!!!
    Millions on WELFARE depend on you!
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    The middle bands on the PCGS example don't even look fully separated.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think sometimes people are just paying more for a reputation, and not a quality difference in the coin.... >>

BUT...the fat lady hasn't sung yet, will be interesting to see how the final selling prices compare.
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    i think the pcgs coin was shill bid - it didn't sell

K S

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file