Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

You gotta love EBay

shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
For personal reasons I've been selling off most of my remaining coins on EBay over the past 10 months. Along the way I picked up a penpal. Whenever I list a reserve auction, like this, this guy emails me with notes like this:

"Nice coin, but I got one just like it....was hawked by [EBay dealer X] as a proof....paid about 400 for it....and it was a 65RB"

All his emails are the same, gloating about his coins and mentioning how much less he paid than I was asking. At first I responded with polite notes and words of warning about some EBay dealers -- I could imagine what some of these bargain coins looked like. Then I just ignored him. But today I decided to research his buying habits. This is the 1886 T2 he was bragging about (he paid 700, not 400 as he stated). Many of you can guess who sold it to him. You gotta love EBay...

Comments

• Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    Paul, please don't tell me you really believe that your coin is the better of the two?

imageimage
  • Options
    GonfunkoGonfunko Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭
    This must be the evil imageimageimageimageimage who ruined the Norweb Trade Dollar! Curses upon him!
  • Options
    If it weren't so sad it would be funny.
    I'm sure he got exactly what he paid.
    Well, maybe not.
  • Options
    "Certified Genuine"!

Alex in Alaska
    Collecting Morgans in Any Grade
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, your PCGS-certified, Eagle Eye Photosealed piece pales in comparison to this "certified" beauty in Coin World slab-like holders.

I like those CW holders; I have some of them myself. They give me a chance to display the non-certified stuff (the stuff that makes no economic sense to certify) along side my key dates which are slabbed. But too many people are trying to pass off coin in those holders as "certified" slabs.
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a bag-of-wind...

Sometimes I really cringe when I look at other eBay member's buying history. It can be painful. There is some SERIOUS screwing going on on eBay.

That funky colored '86 may be genuine, but thats about it. I think I'm going to be sick.

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295

<< <i>What a bag-of-wind...

Sometimes I really cringe when I look at other eBay member's buying history. It can be painful. There is some SERIOUS screwing going on on eBay.

That funky colored '86 may be genuine, but thats about it. I think I'm going to be sick.

Dave >>

Yeah, and when you expose it you get sued.
  • Options
    Is he also a seller?

Jerry
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    He's not a seller, at least under that ID.

Yeah, and when you expose it you get sued.

You noticed I didn't name this dealer. I did, however, write one last email to my penpal explaining this seller's documented association with a certain labeling service image
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess there is a 'select' market for dull, pinkish IHCs. I traded one that looked like this to Tom Killian. He gave me the ugliest Morgan dollar I've ever seen for it. We agreed it was an even trade.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    Oh, that Morgan was not that ugly, besides, it was silver, the indian cent you gave me was only copper. It was the second ugliest I've ever seen. image

Anyone have some ACG "pink" indians for sale?

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295

<< <i>Anyone have some ACG "pink" indians for sale? >>

• Options
    ToneloverTonelover Posts: 1,554
    Kind of reminds me of a guy who I tried to warn about an 1877 "Proof-65 Red" Indian Cent which was in a holder of ill repute and was bid in excess of $5,000. The coin didn't look a whole lot different that this one. He accused me of trying to scare him away so I could get it cheaper for myself. I just wish I could be there when he tries to sell it.
  • Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    How lucky you are to have a good chap track your listings and tell you the error of your ways.
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage Paul, must be the trick photography that makes your coins look so much nicer......!
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Well, when he goes to sell and gets about $300 for his entire $15,000 collection, he'll learn the hard way. Ironic.... Sad....

David

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file