Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Last night... what my wife said...

I asked my wife - What if there were to be no one dollar bills and you had to use coins, which one would you use (I then held up an Silver Eagle and a Sac dollar, she doesn;t know the Eagle is silver & for commerce purposes, assume it is base material)

Her first repsonse was - neither, who wants to lug around a bunch of change - image

I then insisted she had to pick one.

She chose the Eagle, her reasoning was that even though the Sac is golden, it is too similiar in size to a quarter. The designs had nothing to do with her decision, but rather size.

The point here is - bigger is better image -

Actually, could it be the coin dollar will never gain acceptance because of it's size???

Do your own surveys, ask people who aren't into collecting to find their responses.

Comments

• Options
    Except you wont be lugging around change, you'll be spending it. >_<
  • Options
    jbstevenjbsteven Posts: 6,178

<< <i>Actually, could it be the coin dollar will never gain acceptance because of it's size??? >>

Then you would say the IKE dollar was widely used?
  • Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭
    The only impediment to widespread dollar coin acceptance is the continued production of the rag-buck. Everything else, including size of the coin, are secondary to this factor.
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I visited Argentina back when their peso was pegged to the dollar they had a bi-metallic coin thicker and slightly larger than a quarter and it was widely used by all.

I for one prefer paper over coins and would rather have five ones tucked into my wallet than a pocket dragging on the sidewalk due to the weight and clank of coins.

What is wrong with people so adamant about getting rid of the paper dollar? Get a hobby or something! image

Tyler
  • Options
    Catch22Catch22 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭
    I'm with ARCO...I like my bills.

When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary.

Thomas Paine
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The only impediment to widespread dollar coin acceptance is the continued production of the rag-buck. Everything else, including size of the coin, are secondary to this factor. >>

Absolutely. Complete agreement here. People would get used to dollar coins if they didn't have the paper as an alternative.
  • Options
    ClankeyeClankeye Posts: 3,928

<< <i>Last night the wife said
    Oh boy, when you're dead
    You don't take nothing with you but your soul

John Lennon--The Ballad of John and Yoko >>

That fits coin collectors pretty well I would think. Sorry--your thread title reminded me of that lyric.
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options

<< <i>The point here is - bigger is better >>

Well, you are asking a woman. image
  • Options
    The people of the US will use whatever is available IF there is no dollar bill.
  • Options
    razorface1027razorface1027 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭
    My pop and me used to play poker using the Ike dollars. They sounded nice being thrown onto the middle of the card table.image
    What is money, in reality, but dirty pieces of paper and metal upon which privilege is stamped?
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    She chose the Eagle, her reasoning was that even though the Sac is golden, it is too similiar in size to a quarter. The designs had nothing to do with her decision, but rather size.

Does your wife use dimes? If so, ask her why she doesn't have a problem mixing it up with a cent, as it's almost the same size.
  • Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What is wrong with people so adamant about getting rid of the paper dollar? Get a hobby or something! image >>

According to a GAO study, converting from dollar bills to dollar coins would save the government (that is, you and me) $500 million per year. Granted, it's pocket change in the global scheme of things, but anything that causes the government to spend less money is OK by me.
  • Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,032 ✭✭✭✭✭
    But Dollar coins never circulated very well, even Morgans and Peace $$ sat in vaults for half a century unused except out west & the south. Seems like the American public has had issues with dollar coins for hundred(s) of years. Size has nothing to do with it. Lugging changes does. I hate change (but love coins, go figure). I'm all for dollar coins over bills if it saves money, but it will never happen.
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    PreTurbPreTurb Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭
    I like the UK's small fat 1 Pound coin. I think they did away with the 1 Pound note back in 1985...?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file