Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Since we've been playing "Grade That Morgan"... New NGC grade revealed below...

ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
I have an 1892-O in a PCI slab I'm thinking about crossing over. Keep in mind, to the extent that the grading services care about that sort of thing when assigning a grade, that this issue is usually horribly struck:

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Max of 63 at PCGS
  • Options
    K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    Actually, that coin is above average as far as the strike for this issue. It is definitely uncirculated. My best guess would be 62, with a shot at 3.
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see that in a 64 slab easy, could go 65 but I do'nt think so.

Chris
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    GooberGoober Posts: 980 ✭✭✭
    63 all the way
    Prost!

Why step over the dollar to get to the cent? Because it's a 55DDO.
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS63--cleaner than a 62, too marked up for 64.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    For what it's worth:

I'm waffling between 62 and 63, personally, leaning somewhat toward 63 because of the strike. The PCI slab grades it MS-63 with a "Premium Strike" designation.
  • Options
    Out of curiousity, how many digits are in the serial number on the back of the label, 9, 10 or 14?
  • Options
    MS63
  • Options

<< <i>Out of curiousity, how many digits are in the serial number on the back of the label, 9, 10 or 14? >>

Ten. I've seen your website. This is what you called their "conservative" phase where coins will usually cross over.
  • Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    I agree that is an above average strike for the `92-o. I'd say 63 or 64. I suspect is might have decent luster and was graded 64. If the worst problem is some light, non-distracting surface scuffs, it may cross at that.
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    Then you probably have a good shot at crossing it. I would strongly suggest cracking it out and sending in raw. PCI slabs are easy to crack open.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    58 too much rub on the breast feathers.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Strange looking coin. The picture makes it look like there are raised areas on the face.
    Almost looks like an upside down S near the nose.
  • Options
    bennybravobennybravo Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭
    EXCEPTIONAL strike for a 92-O, and it looks to have nice luster from that pic.A little banged up, but I'm thinking it will go 63 at PCGS.No way it goes higher IMO.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    63 is tops... and if it gets there, it is due to the strike. I would call it a 62. I had 7 of these at one time and 6 were graded by NGC... 2 were 63, 2 were 62 and 2 were 61 and the PCGS was graded 62 and this one would mostlikely be a 62

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS63
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that coin is a solid Ms-63, but I would submit raw, to end any possible bias toward the PCI slab.

• Options
    rkfishrkfish Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭
    63 imo....
    Steve

Check out my PQ selection of Morgan & Peace Dollars, and more at:
    WWW.PQDOLLARS.COM or WWW.GILBERTCOINS.COM
  • Options
    poorguypoorguy Posts: 4,317
    MS63 all day. Superb strike, from the pics good/excellent luster, nice eye appeal, moderate marks.

Crack it out and submit.
    Brandon Kelley - ANA - 972.746.9193 - http://www.bestofyesterdaycollectibles.com
  • Options
    dizzleccdizzlecc Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    I have to coin with the group and agree with ms63.

The strike is solid though. I have seen 62s with barely any breast feathers.
  • Options
    ms63
    Michael
  • Options
    Thanks to all for the opinions.

MS-63 seems to be the general consensus. As I said yesterday, I was leaning toward 63, given the strike and the luster, but I could see how it could come back 62 with the hits. I suppose I'll eventually crack it out and send it in; apparently, many seem to think it will have a better shot at 63 when raw than when in a PCI slab.
  • Options
    And the verdict:

I'm a little bummed. The coin has enough hits to justify 62, but I was hopeful the luster and the unusually strong strike might have been enough to kick it into 63.

On the flip side, I also sent in an 1859 Indian cent which I thought was either AU-55 or AU-58, and it came back MS-61.
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    MS62....oh I thought you were going to PCGS?
  • Options
    Still had some submissions "over there" that I needed to use soon. If I were going to use PCGS, I wouldn't know for another month, probably.
  • Options
    The breast feathers are the tell, like someone above me already mentioned. Too much friction there for an MS grade and very baggy all around. I say it comes back AU55.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file