Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

another new guy in the forum

mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
After lurking for a few weeks I just had to join your forum so hope you dont mind sharing with y'all. It is nice to see some referrals for dealers, some boo's for the questionable ones, comments on ebay follies, beautiful coin photos and tales of coin collecting exploits and the forum is collector oriented with an eye on the buks as well so this is a very good forum that really suits my interests.

I'm not a dealer but have done a little dealing. I'm just a collector that has been collecting since my paper route days during my early years. Later, as I had more where-with-all in my wallet, I collected very nice MS morgan vam's and of course the "cc's" when I could find a good one. With the bust of the 90's and loss of my little company all of my collection was sold back into the great sea to try and stay alive but to no avail...still went belly up. So, now all's well and I find that the pleasure I get from coins is still as strong as ever so "cover me, I'm going back in!"

I've started easy, working now to finish a roll set of Amer. Sil. Eagles, have a good leg up so finishing won't be too hard and they are relatively inexpensive so not much down side. Generally, they are very nicely struck and the walker design w/ eagle is very compelling. I'm very impressed with the '04 proof I just got from the mint...it's such a nice strike that the shield is purple...wow! Of course I 'm still stunned from when I went to buy the '95 W proof Geezzzzz...that one will take a little time! Next will be the $5 MS indian gold that may not be able to be completed in MS but we'll see how far I can get, then we will see what comes next. I can't go back to morgans, I'm still heart broken but over the years, I suspect any collector gets some heart break from time to time. The only problem with MS morgans is that once bitten, you live with the sting because the darn things are so beautiful, patricularly a strong strike with a good die. I love the way the reeding cuts into your fingers and the "liberty" tiara in the hair and that lady's face when she has a cameo cheek, yummm...and surely there is no other US coin with cotton bolls. But...one can only handle so much pain.

My favorite coin is the Goebrect flying eagle with the star field, lust in it's most primal form!!! I went to Wash. D.C. with the specific intent of seeing it in the Smithsonian but that one coin was not there. I asked around and no one could tell me where it was...one guy said it was at the US mint collection so I walked there...nope, not there...I have never seen one and am still looking for a MS (just to look at mind ya')because I believe that is the most beautiful coin the US has ever minted. I wonder what it would take to get a few minutes with a loop and a towell so I could just drool around on it for a while.

Well, hope you don't mind a forum newbie. Looking forward to reading and sharing with you folks.

P.S. I vote for the Trade Dollar to make it to the next round.

Mike

Comments

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file