Home Sports Talk
Options

BONDS only has ONE to get 700! How many more by season's end?

By season's end could he be the ONLY person with 500/500
AND
The ONLY player ever with SEVEN MVP Awards??
AND
1 of Only 3 EVER TO GET TO 700 HRs??????????????????

Could he even make it to Ruth's 715 by then????

thoughts?

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    Might not get to 700 by season end. no way makes it to ruth. i think 12 teams are still in the race in the nl for division and wildcard. expect barry to walk a record 25 times maybe! but he will walk like 3 times a game.
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    who cares, Bonds is a loser! His time is up, teams are bypassing his cheating and Bonds isn't winning
    games for the Giants. He will go to the AL and become a DH and disgrace the sport even more. Williams
    will ALWAYS be better and Ripken will always be more loved. Ironic it would be that Bonds passes Ruth
    and sits 2nd to another bitter old man, Hank Aaron.

There are much bigger stories, Griffey and Dunn and Thome....is Bonds even on the leaderboard anymore? Funny
    that he hasn't said yes to his home run derby invite...I guess the fans don't deserve him huh? Id rather
    watch Sosa anyways!

JS
  • Options
    It seems the more he hits the less pitches he sees. You would think he will approach 700 just because pitchers that aren't intentionally walking him accidentally throw pitches he can reach which sometimes go out. He will certainly put up an alltime walk record that will be difficult to touch. It is disappointing watching a Giant game and rarely get to see him swing the bat. He'll probably see more pitches in the all star game than he sees in a normal week. Because of the walks it will probably take two more seasons after this to approach the Aaron area.
    Mike Miller
    Yankee Collector 1958-60
    Retired complete 1960 Topps set
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Bonds takes steroids.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Again....Bonds takes steroids, When will you people get it? YOU STILL HAVE TO HAVE TALENT TO HIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AGAIN look at all the other guys that have juiced and cant compare to anything Bonds has done. Stop whining about roids it is getting old, give the man his due...40 years old and teams are HORRIFIED to pitch to him!

Bonds will get close to 700 this year and in 2006 Bonds will be the alltime HR champ........get used to it....BOTTOM LINE!!!!!!!!

JS....You gave up rather quickly on your MIA Bonds fans thread huh?
    I guess him coming around with twenty plus HR's and a poultry .350ish Ba got to be a little much for ya........image
  • Options
    Bonds will hit 702 this year, that is my prediction
  • Options
    Perkdong....the fact is, Bonds isn't even news anymore! There are players with higher averages and there
    are players with more homers, his team is not winning and he isn't hitting 5 homers a week. He is
    just an average players this year on a bad team. He is going to break down and he is going to get
    frustrated by all the walks and is going to quit and not have acheived anything afterall 600 homers
    will be nothing in a few years!

Its sad that Bonds fan had to wait almost 3 weeks to post another pro-Bonds post.

JS
  • Options
    joker73joker73 Posts: 497
    Rare though it is, I agree 100% with Joe ... who cares?

I live in the Bay Area, and I'm not even sure most people here care ... maybe it's because they all know he was on the juice and that his "records" don't mean very much.
  • Options
    Joker no offense but...You are a Joker for saying his records dont meen much.
  • Options
    Actually, Joker is right on. It seems that there are only a few people who actually think that Bonds and his chase of Aaron's mark means much. Bonds is not a news maker, and many of us view his feats at age 40 as tainted.

Bonds may eventually hold the HR record. He will never be the HR King. He is a world class hitter but the fact that he is on the juice makes him a joker.
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    Perkdog is right that Bonds has talent. He will be a HOFer. Probably one of the best all time
    in baseball.

But the bottom line is many people don't care about Bonds and many people believe he cheated
    to get where he is at now. Many thinks he took roids. Many think he is a j-off. Many think he
    is a selfish p---k! Many people don't like the guy. I am one of who feels indifferent towards him.
    I would not spend 10 cents on his memorabilia. Could care less if he breaks any records or wins
    any World Series. Just don't care...

Anyhow, I say he hits 700 this year to answer the original question. I'll add who cares!

aconte
  • Options
    BigKidAtHeartBigKidAtHeart Posts: 1,799 ✭✭

<< <i>Bonds takes steroids. >>

<< <i>maybe it's because they all know he was on the juice >>

<< <i>He is a world class hitter but the fact that he is on the juice makes him a joker. >>

HMMMMM
    I did not realize there had been a trial
    that I missed and that he was convicted
    of using steriods.... but clearly there was
    some absolutely conclusive proof presented
    that proved he did steriods since "EVERYBODY
    KNOWS HE IS ON THE JUICE"

*(you are all dumasses that are too busy being jealous of him that you have to make some excuse, cause it COULD NEVER have been from his own ability or hard work.... so it MUST have been sterioids... HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHA!)
    imageimage
  • Options
    Thank you Akonte,
    Hey, I dont know the guy and I am sure he is a pompous A-Hole, but all I am trying to get across is that he is a tremendous ballplayer ONE of the best, I say the best and do respect others saying Williams and a few others are better...I am ok with that. I am just tired of the bashing on him for taking roids, he is not the only one ie:Big Mac ect.. ect..just give the guy his due dont like him but respect his #'s.
  • Options
    Why do most people treat OJ like the plague these days? Because people know he's guilty, even if our joke of a judicial system led to a jury officially acquitting him.

The same is true (obviously to a lesser degree) with Bonds - most observers know he took banned substance(s) while playing baseball, even if the whole Balco thing doesn't end up in convictions. The fact that he wasn't the "only one" only makes the entire matter worse, and is no excuse whatsoever.

Remember, gold medalists get their records erased and awards stripped from them years later for doping. I think there's no way that ends up happening here, but the "Bonds taint" is here to stay - and with good reason ...

Robert

P.S. Given my userid, you can safely assume I'm not easily offended image.
  • Options
    dumasses

OK then.

just give the guy his due dont like him but respect his #'s.

That is where the real question lies. If you believe that Bonds is on roids with that giant noggin of his, then his power numbers cannot (and most likely will not) ever be respected.

I do not think there is anyone on these boards that does not ....
    a) respect Bonds as a hitter
    b) realize that Bonds is the most dangerous hitter in the game
    c) agree that in order to beat the Giants you most likely have to walk Bonds ... possibly several times a game.

So, big deal ...
  • Options
    And BKAH:

I'm not jealous at all - if anything, I'm angry at the fact that someone who was already on track for 500 (perhaps even 600) home runs in the prime of his career decided to cheat. He cheated himself, he cheated his team, and most of all he cheated his fans. It's precisely because he already was one of the best hitters in baseball that people are being so hard on him now - there was no need at all for him to screw around with Conte and his lab. Period.

As far as I can tell, you continue to blindly support him because you're a fan of him/his team/whatever. That can be tough, I know ... I'm the first to admit that the whole gambling thing really put a damper on my feelings toward my childhood idol, but at least there I can somewhat separate his Phillies years from his later "activities" and remember the joy he brought to me as a hard-working player. So, nevermind the legal part of the Bonds situation - do you, in your heart of hearts, honestly think he never touched a banned substance during his MLB career?

edited to add - I could take steriods until my nuts fell off, and I'd probably never get a hit off of a MLB pitcher (other than maybe Millwood these days). It's not that people feel Bonds sucked > took steriods > then suddenly jumped to #3 in all-time HRs. He already had all the tremendous gifts and talent, which is why his cheating strikes many as worse than some crappy .210 lifetime hitter juicing up.
  • Options
    Well said Robert.
  • Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭
    nevermind

Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    joker,
    what you are still failing to understand is that there is no proof. None. period. there is a lot of rumors and conjecture, but no proof.

you can call that blind following, but I call it - innocent until Proven guilty.

Also, if he is taking steroids - which ALWAYS cause the body to decline with abuse - where is the decline? acne? other signs (besides home runs.... that he is on steroids?)

I just hate that most people are going to assume that he is cheating without ever having to prove it.

I mean I can accuse someone of being gay and tell others he is gay and talk about how he is friends with guys and sometimes wears purple shirts or shoes without socks... so he must be gay! but that does not mean that he is gay. It means that I succeeded in brainwashing others in to thinking it.

it is sad and unfair.
    imageimage
  • Options
    BKAH - if you were in charge of our judicial system, any murder that took place with no eyewitnesses present would go unsolved. That's why we have the concepts of "beyond a reasonable doubt" and "circumstantial evidence." I agree with you 100% - Bonds will not be found guilty of anything ... but it won't be because he's never taken steriods. Remember - an acquittal means you're found "not guilty," not that you're found "innocent." There may not be any silver-bullet "proof" at the moment, but there is enough "evidence" for me to have made up my mind. Just like OJ. Just like Kobe. Just like Scott Peterson. I guess I'm more interested in truth than in proof ...

I'm not trying to be a jerk here ... I'm just trying to demonstrate that there is a very reasonable and fair basis for baseball fans thinking less of Bonds' accomplishments and records in light of the situation.

I'm still curious about my earlier question - do you honestly believe Bonds has never taken a banned substance during his playing career?

• Options
    Man are we down to only 3 Bonds fans now? At the beginning of the season they were all over
    the place...maybe they are all Pujols fans now or maybe Thome fans.

The bottom line is this:

1) Bonds was not talked about in "the best" discussion until 2001 and his 73 juice parade....He went
    more than 15 years without anyone ever calling him one of the best ever!

2) Bonds is a jerk PERIOD

3) Bonds can't be in the group of best hitters, because he donesn't even have a lifetime .300 average.

4) Bonds has choked in the two most important games in his lifetime and has NO RINGS

Perkdog.....how come you are not still on the Bonds triple crown threat???

JS
  • Options
    JS,
    I dont know what gave you the foolish assumption that I was on a "Triple Crown Kick" with Mr.Bonds. I never stated any such thing, Hr/Ba champ possibly, but he will never get the opurtunity to amass large amounts of rbi's because managers know better to pitch to him with men on base.....you know that. As far as your silly comment about "no rings" He has just as many as Teddy Ballgame. Being a jerk has NOTHING to do with being a good ballplayer PERIOD!

Bonds in my opinion has probably taken some suplements that has helped him but Big kid has a point...Where is his acne? When was he suspended for illegal drug use? What court has convicted him for possesion of an illegal steroid/substance?

Js I am still waiting to here about your Tampa Bay Championship..should it count? You cant tell me that NONE of the Bucs have used any substances during their super bowl season.
  • Options
    Perkdog...you keep hiding behind the same posts! You bring up the things that make Bonds look better but
    never mention the other things like his life before the year 2001. I was here in 2001...were you? There
    was no one talking about Bonds before 73.

Football is a team sport and the Bucs won as a team as they will win again this year. Do you have the
    pelotas to be here the whole season and back one team?

You are either really neive or really blind if you think Bonds isn't on the juice. Telling me about his
    acne problems of lack there of is just stupid.

Please bring something legit to these posts or don't bring anything at all.

Thanks
    JS
  • Options
    JS......Please
    I am not hiding behind any posts, escpecially one that you bring to the table. Your banter about nobody paying any attention towards Bonds before 01' is just as stupid as your last response to my post. You act like Bonds never played before 01' he was an MVP a few times....remember? Baseball is a team sport as well as football maybe more... Pitching as well as other bats getting involved in a game help you win as well, You talk like the Giants and any other team Bonds has played for and lost is his fault alone! PLEASE take your meds before you spout off about Bonds this and Bonds that and they lost cause of Bonds...WAAAAAAHHHHH.

Lets face it...You have a personal beef with a guy who is a tremendous athlete...one of the best ever, you just cant except it, and thats alright because in your mind his whole career is being based on that one season where he got all roided out and hit 73. Oh and by the way...Slinging Sammy Sosa was caught with a corked bat, what is more suspect than that? maybe that when Sosa was a rookie with the White Sox he weighed in about 50 llbs lighter than now, never been in a World series game either...ya you keep watching Sosa. One thing is more funnier than your Bonds bashing is the fact you think the Bucs will win it again this year. Good luck with that.
  • Options

<< <i>... is a jerk PERIOD

...has choked in the two most important games in his lifetime and has NO RINGs >>

wait, you are referring to Ted Williams, right??
    imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>have made up my mind. Just like OJ. Just like Kobe. Just like Scott Peterson. I guess I'm more interested in truth than in proof ... >>

for God's sake I hope you never get jury duty....
    "Guilty, just because think so" is not the attitude we need in our courts!!!!

<< <i>do you honestly believe Bonds has never taken a banned substance during his playing career? >>

I honestly do not know and choose Not to unfairly judge the man...

I will leave the unfair, unsubstantiated judgmental attitude for you.
    imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>Again....Bonds takes steroids, When will you people get it? YOU STILL HAVE TO HAVE TALENT TO HIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >>

exactly

We could give you all the steroids we want but you still wouldn't be able to get a bat to touch a 95mph fastball. How many career HRs does Ken Caminiti have? Should be 1000+ with all the 'roids that sucker took.
  • Options
    I'm glad to see that there are those responding to this thread that understand baseball enough that no amount of steroids can make you able to hit a 95 mph fastball. What Bonds is accomplishing is unprecedented. Randy Johnson one of the greatest pitchers of our time just intentionally walked Bonds and first base wasn't even open. That was the 68th intentional walk of the season tying the all-time record and we are only at the all star break. It takes some really shallow thinking to dismiss this amazing talent of Bonds by simply saying he takes steroids.
    Mike Miller
    Yankee Collector 1958-60
    Retired complete 1960 Topps set
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    yes and maybe
    Good for you.
  • Options
    I'm glad to see that there are those responding to this thread that understand baseball enough that no amount of steroids can m ake you able to hit a 95 mph fastball.

I agree, as do most others.

What Bonds is accomplishing is unprecedented.

True, but tainted ...

Randy Johnson one of the greatest pitchers of our time just intentionally walked Bonds and first base wasn't even open.

That isn't because he is a singles hitter. His jacked up body and Mr. Potato Head noggin can hit the ball 800 feet.

That was the 68th intentional walk of the season tying the all-time record and we are only at the all star break.

big deal, again he has the enhanced help to take the ball yard ... maybe with one hand

It takes some really shallow thinking to dismiss this amazing talent of Bonds by simply saying he takes steroids.

The way I see it, it takes some real shallow thinking to applaud his "feats". The walks are intentional due to the power, the power is there because of the roids.
  • Options
    Ed62Ed62 Posts: 857 ✭✭
    Just to clarify a point that may be in debate: Growth hormone supplements (in near middle age men) are also known to improve eyesight and reflexes.
    Ed
  • Options
    Where is Joe Stalin?
  • Options
    come on, bringing up sosa and the corked bat is stupid! Bonds has cheated his way into the record
    books, now the guy is being walked all over the place and is non factor..oh and one other note
    never mention "team" and Bonds in the same sentence again, you know Bonds is not a team player
    and if you want to mention his MVP's pre-2001 as his big acheivment then you need to come up
    with something else...we already mentioned that MVP's in the late 80's and early 90's mean squat! Pujols
    had way better stats his rookie year than did Bonds in either of his first two MVP's

Cheater
    Disgruntled
    Bitter
    Sore Loser

..that is Barry Bonds!

JS
  • Options
    JS...Glad to see your back and not hiding like you did from my last response, (like you did on your gay little MIA BONDS FAN thread).

Your responses just get funnier and funnier, really I am starting to get a kick out of your nonsense. Please keep it up.

• Options
    so you are giving up? good go run under the bed with the others!

JS
  • Options
    ok i feel qualified to comment on some if these idiot observations and statements.

joestalin wrote 2) Bonds is a jerk PERIOD

Kevin, have you ever met the guy? i have twice. once in the mid 90's and once in 2002. both times, he was incredibly kind and a true gentleman. soft spoken, and seemed to be a genuinely good guy. i'm sure if i would have pissed him off, he wouldve been a jackass. so what? unless you're a weak minded twit, you'll get annoyed when someone says something stupid. it's human nature. could you keep a cool head when you have a constant flow of reporters asking you the same dumbass questions over and over? sure, some people can deal with those annoyances. but most people are gonna get ticked if you mess with em. Bonds is no different. it's easy to sit back and call him a jerk when you've never been in his shoes. getting yelled at by reporters 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year is not the same as your wife telling you to take out the trash.

many others have brought up the steroid issue. besides the fact that you are innocent until proven guilty, i would like to ask everyone this- have you ever taken steroids? do you have any idea what it does to you? i'm not talking about what anti drug agencies and the media tells you- they're as clueless as everyone else. i personally have taken roids before. back in high school, i took 2 cycles before baseball season. did they bulk me up? yep. did they help me with my power? you betcha. but my batting average actually DROPPED from the previous year. so did my walk totals. juicing makes you antsy. it makes you on the edge. you feel like superman, and you feel like you can jack every ball thrown at you 500 feet. and damn, some of em did fly a mile. i had a few travel over 400 feet. but steroids made it damn near impossible to focus and lay off pitches. they made it hard to think logically. i ended up swinging at a ton pitches outside the strike zone. my strikeout total went up. the last thing on my mind was taking a pitch to draw a walk.

so explain a few things to me people. how on earth is Bonds so patient? everyone knows he's a c__ky SOB. with roids added to the mix, it would make it VERY hard for him to lay off pitches. and that's just what he's doing. he is more disciplined than ever. also, how many 500 foot home runs have you seen him hit? i don't have the data on hang, but i haven't seen a huge increase in the average distance for each homerun he's hit now vs. 5 years ago.

he ain't on roids. he just busts his ass and works his tail off, and it shows. all you overweight middle aged people need to drop this crap. if you're in your mid 30's-early 40's, you can be a physical specimen. it takes a ton of work and discipline, but it's possible. and that's what Bonds is
  • Options
    Actually I have met Barry, I was at a spring training game waiting for a graph..so was about 10 kids. Someone
    got too close to Barry and he yelled a four letter word in front of all those kids and marched off. Class guy!

As far as roids, how do you explain Mac/Sosa and then Bonds eclipsing a record that stood for years? Bonds
    was at best a 40 homer guy and then one year he hits 73? Bonds is pulling the wool over all your eyes, his
    trainer admits to handing out drugs to his clients..hmm I guess he skipped over Bonds huh?

Juiced and Bitter, it doesn't matter because Williams will always be better.

Thanks
    JS

PS Where is Perkdog?????
  • Options

<< <i>As far as roids, how do you explain Mac/Sosa and then Bonds eclipsing a record that stood for years?? >>

is that All you got?
    THAT is what you basing your
    POSITIVE. WITHOUT A DOUBT ATTITUDE
    to CONVICT Bonds of drug use?

Paaauuuulllleeeessssseeeeee!

That is the dumest thing I ever heard?

With that logic, then MARIS was on Roids too,
    since he came out of no where to eclipse a record
    that stood for years?! Right??

imageimage
  • Options
    BKAH...no actually you need to read my post again, that isn't the only thing Im basing this on. Its not
    my fault you are a closet Bonds fan who only comes out to defend the guy when he is hitting homers!
    Were you a Barry fan in 1999 or was Mac your guy? Funny, three years of NFL smack and you have
    yet to put up you favorite football team.....just how much bandwagon can you get? I still feel there
    are NO true Bonds fans here, just a bunch of blind kids who don't appreaciate what guys did in the
    40's and 50's! Bonds is not the greatest ever, and until he passes Aaron, he isn't even the greatest
    home run hitter or all time.

I will agree that he is the biggest jerk in the league...can anyone tell me another player who people hate
    more??

I will also agree that Bonds cheats via the juice...eyesight my *ss.

If you want to talk about Bonds legacy I might start with 600/600, which will probably never be
    touched! Why can't you just stick with that?

JS
  • Options
    Bonds has 6 MVP awards, no one else has more than 3!!

Any slow down from Rolen, and Bonds will get a 7th award!!

Bonds team isn't bad like Stalin said. They were in 1st place just a few days ago. they may even be back, I haven't looked. They actually have been one of the hotter teams in baseball the last month.

Bonds is on the leaderboards. He is 1st in avg (.365 ), 1st in OBP % ( .628 ), 1st in OPS ( 1.421 ), 1st in walks ( 131 ), 1st in slugging % ( .794 ), 3rd in homers (23), and 3rd in runs ( 71 ).

Stalin - you need to get the facts and stats before you make it sound like he isn't on the leaderboards, and his team is bad. You were way off on both accounts as proven by me.

Remember, even if you want to accuse him of steroids, he won 3 of the MVP awards before the year 2000, and finished 2nd to Jeff kent one other year. That alone puts him in the same breath as Williams, Mantle or whomever it was that won no more than 3 MVP awards.

He has more runs ( 71 ), then hits so far ( 69 ). That is an amazing stat!!

Opposing pitchers and managers are literally petrified of this guy. 68 IBB's already? Unbelievable.

I think he is the greatest ever right now, but once his career is over, he will have so many more records. Nobody was better statistically in so many categories. He'll even finish the year out as a career .300 hitter.

Give him even half of those 68 intentional walks back this year, and he is hitting over .400 with 30+ homers right now. I truly believe that. He's that good. And at age 40. Pretty embarrassing for those younger guys, huh? More than likely they won't even be able to play as long as Bonds has/will.

Pujols is good, but he's just over .300 so far, 22 HR, 60 RBI. Double that for the next halk, and his stats look just like many others will, maybe even less RBI's. His cards are really overrated right now. Maybe I should just say OVERPRICED.

Those are the stats. They are facts. No arguing with them unless you are a moron.

TheRoach

7 MVP awards, the single season HR record, career walks record, single season walks record, 700HR/500SB, and two batting titles near 40 years old. How can one argue that those aren't stats of the greatest to ever play the game??? All this and there is still more to come!!!! Bonds:2005 NL MVP. Or are you going to doubt him again?
  • Options

<< <i>Those are the stats. They are facts. No arguing with them unless you are a moron. >>

well, see
    there is the problem....

imageimage
  • Options
    goodriddance - Thanks for candidly sharing your experiences ... stories like those aren't always the ones you read about in the papers. I wouldn't say it changes my mind about Bonds, but it does shed some doubt on blanket accusations towards anyone who saw their stats jump. My sense is that extremely talented athletes - I mean, the top 1% of the top 1% (yes, like Bonds) - are probably better able to maintain their focus and discipline even when on steriods, but that's just a conjecture. Also, with a professional coaching staff prepping you ahead of time (i.e., Bonds knows prior to every at-bat he's not gonna see jack in the strike zone), the temptation to swing at every pitch is probably more manageable. Regardless, I appreciate the insights ...

Edited to add - now that I think about it, your experiences are even more interesting in light of the fact that Bonds' stikeout total in 2001 was the 2nd highest of his entire career, second only to his rookie season with the Pirates (and well above his yearly average) ...
  • Options
    Roach

All anyone can give me on Bonds v other players, is his MVP's...an award that is voted on. When I think
    of Teddy ballgame, I think of one thing...triple crowns....that isn't opinion or voted on, its fact and it takes
    an amazing athlete to even come close to doing, Bonds has never sniffed it! Bonds is playing in dinky
    ball parks, with juiced balls and juiced arms, against pitchers who couldn't make the middle reliever spots
    if they played in the 50's! He has also shown that he can choke with the best of them come post season and
    even though I was too young to remember, I don't recall Williams falling on his wallet in game 6 up several
    runs!

oh and thanks for giving me all the stats he is high up the leaderboard on, that all comes from having
    few AB's and a bunch of walks. When he is closing in on .400 then we can talk best. Actually I have
    promised this board somewhere else, I will never say a bad thing about Barry again if he can hit .400 or
    win the triple crown....surely Mr Bonds can do that right??

Thanks for the post, I was beginning to think no one here could back Bonds!

JS
  • Options
    coinandcurrency242coinandcurrency242 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭✭
    I think by the middle of the 2006 season he will hold the record for the most home runs!

Positive BST as a seller: Namvet69, Lordmarcovan, Bigjpst, Soldi, mustanggt, CoinHoader, moursund, SufinxHi, al410, JWP

• Options

<< <i>I think by the middle of the 2006 season he will hold the record for the most home runs! >>

imagine that....

someone actually ANSWERING THE Original TOPIC Question?!

I can hardly believe it!

imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>Caroncollector said........
    Bonds will hit 702 this year, that is my prediction >>

Tonight (Aug 29th) Barry hit 2 out against Atlanta

That brings his total to 696 HRs...

So with 5 more weeks to go,

Seems he will get to 700 with no problem, but
    How many more will he get????????

imageimage
  • Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    17...He is hot...finish at 713. The God's will not allow 714 until next year.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options

<< <i>Tonight (Aug 29th) Barry hit 2 out against Atlanta >>

The 2nd and 3rd longest homers ever hit at Turner Field, no less.
  • Options
    Sounds like Barry is more of a "Team Player" than Joestalin and others think...
    Here is today's Journal entry on his website

Sept. 6, 2004

It feels good that so many people are focused on my home run chase and I'd like to get to 700 as soon as I can, but the real deal is making it back to the postseason.

I'm only three away right now and if I hit home runs, we have a good chance to win. But there are plenty of other things I can do if I don't hit one out, like hit the ball to left field to beat the shift and work that key walk. I'm going to get to 700 eventually. I'll pass 700 and then all eyes will be on Babe Ruth (714) and Hank Aaron (755). But what we do as a team along the way is just as important.

We're 3 1/2 games behind the Dodgers now in the division race and there's still a long way to go. We're also right there in the Wild Card. Anything can happen. We're going on the road this week for eight games in Denver, Phoenix and Milwaukee. There's 23 games to go. We have to have a good road trip and then come home.

The Cubs are going to have a tough go of it because their three-game series against the Marlins this past weekend in Miami was postponed. So will Florida. There will be those doubleheaders late in the season and a lot of extra traveling. You don't want to be doing that in September. The only good thing for them is that they're in Chicago, so the flights aren't too long.

As far the division race goes, I'd like to be tied with the Dodgers by the time we face them. We have six games left against them, all during the last 10 days of the season. We also have six games left against the Padres and they've been tough for us to beat this year in PETCO Park, their new home.

You have to do anything you can to win, like Sunday when we beat the Diamondbacks. I worked Randy Johnson to a full-count walk in the sixth inning. I had to. It was important for us to have the baserunners. He doesn't give up many big innings.

I feel like it's all in our own hands right now. It's up to us to make it happen.

Barry

imageimage
  • Options
    700 is coming... Likely tomorrow night in Milwaukee!

imageimage