Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone collect US coin glass?

In 1892, the Central Glass Co. of Wheeling, West Virginia, a division of the U.S. Glass Co., produced a short-lived pattern which was named U.S. Coin. Replicas of current United States coins were impressed in and around the edges of each piece. Approximately 50 different items were made. Sometimes the coins were frosted and sometimes pieces were ruby or amber stained, and occasionally decorated with gold or platinum. It was probably the most collectible pattern of the 1890s.

After just 3 to 4 months in production, the entire line was discontinued when the U.S. Treasury stepped in and claimed they were violating the law by reproducing real coins. Because of this very short production time period, all pieces are hard to find today and quite expensive.

It is an interesting example of bureaucracy in the 1890s in that the U.S. Treasury considered this to be a counterfeit coin that might be used as legal tender.

Comments

• Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536

<< <i>It is an interesting example of bureaucracy in the 1890s in that the U.S. Treasury considered this to be a counterfeit coin that might be used as legal tender. >>

Whch was even more humorous because many of the images used were of 1892 seated liberty coins.
  • Options
    Never heard of, or seen any of these. Would be great to see some pictures.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    glass is an interesting subject... worthy of a separate section that falls outside the scope of US COINS.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Very cool stuff!

Tomimage
  • Options
    numobrinumobri Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭

I know what it is and think it's cool.

I never ran across any,but would think about buying some if I did.
    NUMO
  • Options
    Here is an example, its a crummy picture though.

Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    old thread warning
    old thread warning

old thread warning
    old thread warning

old thread warning
    old thread warning

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These "coin glass" items were sold as souvenirs at the World's Columbian Exposition

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    But interesting
    A bird sitting on a tree is never afraid of the branch breaking because it's trust is not in the branch but it's own wings.
  • Options
    DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    I have a piece - it's a toothpick holder that's pretty beat up (chips, etc.), but as one person told me "that's how you can tell it's a genuine piece."

Several years ago, I was at a meeting of the New Jersey Numismatic Society when Bill Shamhart gave a presentation featuring his outstanding collection of coin glass. As he said, it was the dies to produce the coin images that the Secret Service was interested in - but without dies, you can't produce glass.

There's a book on coin glass that Numismatic Americana used to have in stock. You can read about it here.. You can also search on eBay for coin glass.

Reproductions and modern items are more common, I think, than the originals, so it's important to know what you're buying.

Check out the Southern Gold Society

• Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neat to have a piece, but to collect? Not my cup of tea.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    It would be a lot cooler if they used real coins to make the impressions instead of facsimiles.
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have not seen coin glass before... and somehow missed the original thread....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i missed that thread as well.
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think my grandparents had a decent collection of it.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    If you ever stop by CAC, there is some on display in the entrance area. Neat stuff.

merse

• Options
    I lived in Fostoria Ohio for a few years and as some may know it is a well know " glass" town. If you ever want to see an interesting glass museum with a lot of coin glass swing by there.
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If you ever stop by CAC, there is some on display in the entrance area. Neat stuff. >>

Actually its quite the viewing pleasure!
    may the fonz be with you...always...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file