Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Is the market for ancients really faltering??

According to an article in the last Coin World, the ancient coin market is really going downhill, indicated by
really low bidding at recent auctions. One theory put forth in the article is that people are no longer being educated in the classic cultures as they were in the past. Does anybody else see this as being true?

Comments

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    no idea... but that sounds like a reasonable explanation. That is... if the market for acients is really faltering.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Well, frankly, I've been seeing a steady -- albeit slow -- increase in the number of ancients dealers at our shows. It could be the "dump Western civ" crowd is having an impact, but it might also be that people quickly hear about the counterfeiting problem. In any case, ancients are sort of an "acquired taste" for folks used to shiny modern coins.
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    Shiny ancient coins are even better image
    4 765 of 50 971 (9.35%) complete image

First DAMMIT BOY! 25/9/05 (Finally!)

" XpipedreamR is cool because you can get a bottle of 500 for like a dollar. " - Aspirin

• Options
    Hi,

Could just be the summer time too, less folks bidding, money being a little tight... I picked up 4 rad-cool ancient Roman emp coins for less than $20.00 each average...

HADRIAN (silver), TRAJAN (silver), DOMITIAN (silver), & NERVA (Copper or Bronze)

And a FAB-U-LASSSSSS silver Augustus for $72.00

If you like ancients... now is the time to BUY!!!

Anthony
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Good, I'm looking to buy at least one.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson