Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Poll: Keep selling & turn a profit or break even and add to your collection?

Hi,

I had purchased a chunk of an Estate sale, placed the cream of the crop (42 coins in all) into on box and divided up the rest into 51 auctions on Ebay.

After the 51 auctions were completed on Friday, I ended up with a $6.00 profit and the choice… place the cherry picked coins in my collection and break even or sell them off and turn a nice profit.

Well… being more of a collector, I chose to keep the 42 coins. Just out of curiosity, what would you do in my situation?

12 MS63 to MS66 lustrous to blazing luster Morgans
9 Uncirculated Walking Liberties, one with awesome rainbow toning
1 US Silver Commemorative 50 cent piece from 1893
3 Franklyn’s, circulated but nice
3 old Seated dimes, one super nice EF45, the other two probably cleaned but nice
A few Uncirculated silver Washington Quarters and Silver dimes
3 WWII silver nickels, circulated but nice

Pix of all the coins, including some closeups

Anthony

Comments

• Options
    anoldgoatanoldgoat Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭
    I dunno much about Morgans but of late I have been trying to build my collection while breaking even. Keeps the wife pacified.image
    Alright! Who removed the cork from my lunch?

W.C. Fields
  • Options
    Looks like you did ok there!

If the coins fit into your collection, keep them. If not, sell them and use the
    money for some that do! image

Ken
  • Options
    JrGMan2004JrGMan2004 Posts: 7,557
    Into the collection! image
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    What are you collecting? I might keep a MS 66 Morgan and a rainbow Walker, maybe even one or two of the others. I would sell the circ war nickels...
  • Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    Since the coins are basically free to you now, I'd keep them. Certainly, keep the coins that you like or have some interest it.

What are you really going to get for a circulated war nickel, anyway, for example? Maybe you could give that kind of stuff away to YN's or something like thatimage
  • Options
    prooflikeprooflike Posts: 3,879 ✭✭
    Unless you are a big-time dealer, breaking even while adding to your collection is an added bonus.

• Options
    Hi,

Basically, I had two rolls of BU Morgans... I created two piles, what I need for my collection and what I already had... the 12 that I kept are what I needed.

I swapped out some of my existing Walkers from my collection and replaced them with the uncirculated ones.

I didn't have any old Washington or Roos silver and the Nickels... eh, I thought they were cool and I didn't have any in my collection as of yet. They will get upgraded at some point in the future.

I already have a few seated dimes however... none from the years I kept.

I really liked the old 1893 50 cent piece but, it's not worth as much as I thought, only around $25.00 but... still very cool.

Anthony
  • Options
    Hey dare Antknee,

Great coinage you kept for yourself... did you factor in the Ebay and Pay Pal fees when you came up with the $6.00 profit and all the coins?

That's alota work but, I wouldn't mind havin' those 42 in my collection... actually, I would kept the Morgans and the old dimes and auctioned the rest.

But dats just me,

Spanky

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file