Checklist #2 5
Howe Retires 4
Orr Trophies 2.5
Orr, All Star 2.5
Beliveau Retires 1.5
Hull 1.5
Clarke 1.5
Sittler 1.5
Always buying high grade Mike Schmidt and Steve Carlton cards!!!

Comments

• Options
    Hi.

As I believe that sets are weighted through a combination of difficulty and the SMR value of the cards in PSA 8 I would reverse your weights on the Dryden and the #111 checklist.

Here are my idea's

# 111 Checklist -- 10
    # 45 Dryden -- 8
    # 148 Lafleur -- 7
    # 133 Dionne -- 7
    # 100 Orr --- 6
    # 264 Checklist -- 6
    # 262 Howe -- 4
    # 1 Popiel -- 3 Possibly 4
    # 263 Beliveau -- 3
    # 251 0rr -- 2.5
    #246 Orr -- 2.5
    # 50 Hull -- 2
    # 114 Clarke -- 2
    #193 Sittler -- 2
    #195 Plante -- 1.5
    # 20 Esposito -- 1.5
    #60 Perreault -- 1.5

There are several others that could fall into the 1.5 category.
    If weighted by difficulty alone the #1 Popiel and #100 Orr would weigh a little higher.

Have a great day

Rob..

Collecting PSA Vintage Hockey
  • Options
    I find it hard to believe that the checklist should rate higher than the Dryden rookie. I do not disagree with the Popiel weighting. Lets figure this out though. The set ought to be weighted.
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    don't collect the set and don't know much outside of what the pops tell me but I agree that the dryden has to be weighted higher than the checklist.
  • Options
    robstarrobstar Posts: 262
    As far as difficulty goes, I thought it was widely understood that the #111 checklist was perceived to be the most difficult hockey card of the era let alone 71-72.
    I believe the PSA 8 that Chris Renaud purchased a while back closed for double what any PSA 8 Dryden has sold for in recent history. PSA 8 Drydens routinely sell between $400 - $550. A dealer currently has one for sale on his website for $475. Didn't the last PSA 8 #111 sell for roughly 3 times that?

For reference sake, the 1962 Parkhurst Checklist is the highest weighted card in it's set.

Hockey checklists are tough tough tough. I hope more collectors of this set chime in on this, I would really like to hear their opinions.

Browntoni

Great idea to weigh the set. This opens up some great discussion.

Rob..
  • Options
    I am happy with your explanation Robstar. Just seems funny to me that a checklist gets more weight than Dryden's rookie. In my opinion, more collector's would want a nice Dryden than a nice Checklist. In any event, where are the other 71-72 OPC guys....Teemu, StarJM....lets hear from them and then get this set weighted.
  • Options
    Dave, As a fan and collector of the set , I can see where Robstar makes the point about the checklist, and like his weighting judgements. If you are looking for a Dryden rookie you can pretty much go out and get one, but as far as the checklist is concerned, even if you were willing to "pay any price" (within human reason) you still may not be able to find one. I think the POP reports shows 36 Dryden rookie in PSA 8 and only 8 checklists. I think the #1 Popiel card is fairly tough as well, I have had mine for awhile , I know there is only one other but I have rarely even seen an example of that card in any better shape then Ex. After chasing these cards for awhile I know some are just real hard to find. I really do not think this is a case where there are alot out there but they just have not shown up yet. The card stock is so bad, I just don't think many have held up through the years.
    If it's worth doing..It's worth overdoing!!
  • Options
    Robstar,

Why don't you send your grade weights to PSA.
  • Options

<< <i>Robstar,

Why don't you send your grade weights to PSA. >>

Browntoni

While I do have a 71-72 set registered, I clearly am not an actively pursuing cards to add to my set at this time. If I happen stumble across a cache of raw NMMT or better cards to submit that may change.
    I may bid on a card or two on Ebay, but prices have really taken off lately which bode's well for those who got on board early.
    With that said, I feel that if a set is to be weighted there should be considerable input from the set registrants in the top 5 or from those who are currently submitting or purchasing cards on Ebay. I am neither at this time. I think that Starrjm (Yzerman19 on the boards) Turbo, ADSLkid and yourself should share thoughts in this endeavour.

Where are all the Hockey guy's? Camping, Fishing, Golfing, or maybe justimage

Good luck with your set and have a great day.

Rob..

• Options
    Ok I am here and have been reading this thread over and over again. I have been actively persuing this set and have to agree that yes the checklist should be weigted as the highest followed by the Dryden and any other Series one card that is tough to find. In all honesty though, this topic has come up a few times and personally I am collecting this set because I enjoy collecting hockey cards. If someone else really feels that this set should be weighted in some form or another submit your idea to PSA and see what they say. I am not trying to piss anyone off I am just giving my two cents worth or 3 cents Canadian.
  • Options
    grilloj39grilloj39 Posts: 370 ✭✭
    I am collecting the 71 topps counterpart. But I agree with those that the Dryden Rookie should be the highest weighted card in the set--no doubt imo.

The checklist can be second. I also feel the Bobby Orr card should be rated higher than Dionne. Even though it is Dionne's RC, all Bobby Orr cards in high grade command a premium. Bobby Orr is like the Mickey Mantle of hockey card collecting IMO.

Everything else looks OK to me. I understand 10 people may have 10 different opinions and since Browntoni took the initiative to submit the weights to PSA, I will most certainly defer to him on what he decides will be the final product to submit to PSA.
    Gold Coins
    Silver Coins

e-bay ID: grilloj39
    e-mail: grilloj39@gmail.com
  • Options
    Shouldn't the weightings have more to do with the card's rarity rather than it's value? WRT to the Dryden, there are 141 graded, so this card can't be considered rare. I think there is some confusion between value and rarity.....of course, the higher value cards are going to be graded sooner than the commons but what is the point of giving a card, the Dryden, a heavy weighting, when everyone who participates in the set registry will be able to own one with all the examples already graded?

Dan
    The first person in the PSA universe to complete the 1969 OPC
    Hockey set! Always looking to buy, trade or upgrade 1966 Topps to 1969 OPC.
  • Options
    The idea of weighting is to weight the "key cards" in the set. Low pop commons are somewhat of a misnomer. In many cases, the reason they are low pop is that they are commons!

I certainly agree that the checklist card in this set should be weighted. I do not agree, however, that 1/1 commons should get extraordinary weight.
  • Options
    i agree with weighting low pops as 1's for the time being. i have no idea what percentage of raw has been graded yet, so it's kind of hard to distinguish between low pops due to lack of submissions, and truly difficult condition rarities.

it's a lot easier with baseball. by now, a high percentage of raw stuff has been slabbed, which gives a better idea of the difficult cards. i doubt hockey can make that claim quite yet.
  • Options
    The set is now weighted.
  • Options
    This is my favorite set of all my Hockey collections and yes, the Checklist 111 simply has too be the
    top weighted...........I can go out and grab a Dryden PSA 8 easily for 500 or so bucks.......but try finding
    the equivelant in the Checklist 111........of course I may be a bit bias as I own the top one in the
    world at PSA 9 which I bought a few months ago but I waited a long time to find this card.......also the
    Bobby Orr 100 is hard to find too and I finally snagged a PSA 8 one a few weeks ago.......as for the Dryden
    I have a BVG 8 which I believe is the second highest by that grading scale and easily would fetch me
    a PSA 9 if I flipped it.........cost me a fortune but there you have it........and that bloody Poul Popeil card
    is hard to find........I have a very very nice Raw one but I think it would only go PSA 7.......perhaps some
    kind soul out there would sell me his/her PSA 8 in the future???

I love this set so much that I am working on building 3 - 4 of them.......all OPC..........granted I am now
    a pauper but at least when I'm living on the streets of Calgary, I'll have one of the nicest sets of
    71/72 OPC NHL around........har har...........

Thanks

Devon in Cowtown
  • Options
    So Devon are you ever going to get any of those sets graded and join the Set Registry?
  • Options
    On a related note, I am going to be putting on ebay, a bunch of raw cards from an original collection of 1971 OPC, however, not to get you guys too excited, as they average EXC to EXMT. They all have great colour but the corners all have been touched. Hopefully, I will finish the scanning and have them on ebay by the weekend. Mostly commons, some stars, none of the main rookies or superstars though.

Dan (ebay tripoli)
    The first person in the PSA universe to complete the 1969 OPC
    Hockey set! Always looking to buy, trade or upgrade 1966 Topps to 1969 OPC.
  • Options
    Yes Turbos I am eventually going to get them on the registry but I have to get about 80-100 cards graded still
    and I havn't the coin for such a transaction right now especially when I have been buying so much stuff lately...

I have only been collecting the last year and a half and my knowledge of this hobby is quite scant compared to
    the rest of you guys but one thing I have noticed about this set and I am sure it is the same for others that while
    the big name cards like Lafluer, Dionne, Dryden are easily found in high quality, I note that some of the commons
    are quite hard to find in high quality Psa 8 or better???

I wonder why that is??? Anyways, it is a total labor of love and I need about 40 more cards, 34 of which are commons,
    and then I will have my high grade set complete......

Thanks
  • Options
    Top 3,

1.#111 Checklist
    2.Ken Dryden
    3.#264 Checklist

4. Orr, Dionne and Lafleur in no particular order.

My two cents,

Adam
    hockeybonkers@yahoo.ca
  • Options
    ALbertadude. Do you live in Calgary? If so have you gone to AbdCards. They used to be located in Winnipeg and that is where I used to get all my cards. The owner of the shop is Dale and he is a great guy a real puck head. If you drop by the store tell him Darren from Winnipeg says hi.
  • Options
    Yes Turbo I live in Calgary and I wasn't even aware of this place??? Sounds good........I'll have to make
    sure I visit! Does he have some good old stuff Hockey wise??

Thanks!!!

Devon
  • Options
    zsz70zsz70 Posts: 541
    Hi,

In the future I wouldn't weight any pre-1974 o-pee-chee
    hockey sets.

Once it's done, it's done, and it can not be adjusted by PSA.

Unless you get at least four or five guys who have
    seen thousands of cards from that year, then it serves no purpose
    because it will be flawed. Guys could feel slighted if their opinion
    is not taken seriously, and they could look on the set registry board
    with disgust.

Also, the owner of the PSA 9 checklist will want that weighted higher.
    The owner of the PSA 9 Orr will want that weighted higher.
    The owner of the PSA 9 Dryden will want that weighted higher.

The competition and ownership of specific cards will sway decisions and
    lead people to selfish judgements about weights.

The only people who should weight sets are old time collectors who
    are not participating in building that set.

In my opinion, just leave the set weighting alone.
    Let each card be equal. Having said all this, all sets are
    not equal among themselves. The 1969-70 set is
    not equal with the 1st and 2nd series. Some other
    sets have some nuances about them as well. It's a very
    difficult job to do this fairly.

• Options
    I disagree wholeheartedly. The sets should all be weighted. There is no doubt that the Dryden rookie card is more important (and valuable) than a common from the California Golden Seals.
  • Options
    YEah he does have a lot of older hockey too, or at least he used to. In regards to the set weighting, I am of the opinion that this is a hobby and who cares if one card is more difficult than another, because once you have the complete set in say PSA 8 or whatever it is a mute point the set is complete. That was a nice run on sentence.

Cheers,
    Darren
  • Options
    When exactly did the #1 Set ( STARRJM19 ) dissapear from the registry?

Rob...
  • Options
    A few days ago. I sent him an email to see what was up, but no reply.