Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

best digital camera for under 300. ??

Am seriously wanting to get a new digital camera, and would appreciate any ideas here.

I'd spend a little more if neccesary, but with prices falling and features expanding, not sure I'd have to ... but I don't know.

Would love to get better pic's so I could post my Merc's and redo the pictures of my other sets.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242

Comments

• Options
    If you are limiting the amount to under $300, you should consider what capabilities you need in the camera. Many of the "new" cameras out there have features you will not want or need. If you keep this in mind, then you may not want a "new" camera. The Sony Mavica series (the FD style uses floppy disks to store pictures, while the CD style uses compact discs to store pictures) is easy to use and you can find one on eBay for the amount you are wanting to spend. I have used an FD-73 with both a macro lens and in its current configuration mounted to my microscope. My web site shows 216 pictures that were taken with that camera using the microscope.

Good luck.
  • Options
    Well you know a camera/microscope unit I have been considering is the Digital Blue Microscope Digital Camera QX3, it used to be the Intel QX3, but Intel sold it all to Digital Blue. It costs only $45.95 from Digital Blue. Up to 200X magnification too.
    It uses a USB port so it should be easy to hook up to a PC.
    I broke down and ordered one so I'll see how it works.
    I have a old Kodak MD100 that works well, but the drivers for the Kodak unit only work with Windows 95/98/ME machines.
    The QX3 has drivers that work with Windows XP plus drivers for Mac's (but I don't know if it's OS-X compatible) too.

Another thing that works very well is my Canon Canoscan USB port Scanner. It can scan up to 1200dpi. But newer scanners can get much higher resolutions than that now. But it tends to lose the pretty shinyness of a high MS# coin. But the scanner is easy and convenient to use for these purposes too.

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thanks for the info so far ... I probably should clarrify that I want a camera that can take clear macro pictures of minor coins and show details(1c-25c sizes) ... let me know via a PM or via email if you can

Thanks! image

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    Here is an example of (actually four) pictures that I took with the Mavica.

• Options
    I have a Sony Mavica (a older one by now). It can't take photos that close. maybe 8 inches or so at best.
    How did you do it?
    What model did you use?
  • Options
    Sony Mavica MVC FD-73 with the Close Up Lens MT4037 S.
  • Options
    The trick is to use a tripod and control the focus with the tripod height control.
  • Options
    Of course, I can take better pictures now with the camera attached to the microscope.
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never mind.

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.