Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Could I have opinions on my Ptolemy Coin?

Hi,

Could I have opinions on my Ptolemy Coin?

I picked it up in an ancient lot… it looked authentic however, I’m curious about the pitting… could that point to this being a counterfeit?

Also, assuming it’s legitimate… any ideas on the age or under which Ptolemy king this was minted?

There are other coins on this page, please feel free to ignore the others.
Ptolemy Coin

Thanks in advance,
Anthony

Comments

• Options
    Nice looking example. I am no expert in ancients so I can't say much more.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    oldshepoldshep Posts: 3,240
    Very interesting - neat eagle (or vulture) on the reverse. Wish I could help but all I can do is look and enjoy.
    Shep
  • Options
    Hi,

Thanks for the responses.... any one else? I couldn't find an online link to the Ptolemy kings or coins.

Thanks again,
    Anthony
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Welcome to the Forum, SirAnthony! Our ancients experts ought to drop by over the course of the weekend. I wouldn't say, though, that pitting would by itself signify a counterfeit. Many ancient coins have been in the ground so long that the details yours shows aren't even distinguishable.
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    GDJMSPGDJMSP Posts: 799
    Sir Anthony -

Since we didn't seem to have any ancients experts stepping forward to answer your question - I went and asked one image

This is his reply -

The top is a Ptolemaic bronze - Zeus on the obverse and an eagle on a
    thunderbolt on the reverse. I've got ones along those lines on this page:

http://www.lotn.org/~calkinsc/coins/000021.html

Not sure off hand which particular Ptolemy as several had similar types, but it
    does look real to me. The denomination too I also can't really tell without a
    measurement of weight and diameter - the ones on my page range from quarter to
    dollar size.

The coins below are Roman Imperial denarii save for the one with the elephant -
    thats a Julius Caesar (Republic denarii ) issue. I can't make out the ruler's names on the others
    (the bull looking guy might be Domitian, for instance) but given some time I
    should be able to figure them out from the inscriptions. Let me know if you
    want those narrowed down too.

So - if you would like more info about the Ptolemy coin - can you provide the weight and diameter ?

Hope this helps image
    knowledge ........ share it
  • Options
    somehow i missed this thread-- anyway, tried to look at the picture but just got 'network error'. But assuming it is a Ptolemaic bronze, I do know these were struck approximately 280 BC to 140 BC. And
    they range in size from US quarter size in diameter (but much thicker) to silver dollar size, some maybe
    bigger than that.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coach, it was a Ptolemaic bronze, and looked authentic to me. But beyond that, I was clueless, so I didn't say anything. I was waiting for you or Automan or Civitas to jump in. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    hi,

Thanks VERY much for the replies.

My site.... www.congiano.com has a DNS issue at the moment... as you can still see my site if you just go to it by IP address http://69.24.68.65

The Ptolemy coin is here:
    http://69.24.68.65/My%20Coins/Roman.htm

Anyways... the coin's the diameter is 2.7CM or just over an inch. I dont' have a scale.

The other coins on the page are, Vespasian, Augustus, Caesar Elephant Denari, and another Augustus. I kept the Vespasian and had to sell the other on Ebay a while back.

I have since picked up a few others, included Mark Antony VIII LEG, Domitian, and different Augustus, a Caesar coin minted in North Africa, a few Rome Republic coins, and a really old Gorgoneion coin circa 480 BC minted in Parion Mysia Aisa Minor... I'll post some photos once I get my website issues resolved.

Thanks again,
    Anthony

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm no expert on ancients, but I do know there are a lot of copies of that Julius Caesar denarius with the elephant out there.

Your site ain't loadin' for me. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.