Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Question regarding rim nicks on Morgans

How much would a rim nick affect a rare date Morgan (i.e. 1893s, 94s, 95s and so on). The rim nick is at 7 o'clock and not terribly bad but noticeable. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    If it's bad enough, PCGS will bag the coin; ANACS will mark it as "rim damaged".
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    can you provide a Pic?

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It depends on the severity as to whether or not PCGS or NGC would slab it. ANACS would slab it but note the damage and downgrade it accordingly. Many collectors will settle for a damaged one in their set but I doubt a serious collector will. Still the things bring stong money on eBay!
  • Options
    razorface1027razorface1027 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭
    They'd probably be somewhat leniant due to the fact they're key dates. I recently sent in a 78-CC with 3 rim dings that weren't really all that distracting but there, and it came back what I had anticipated it would which is 63.image
    What is money, in reality, but dirty pieces of paper and metal upon which privilege is stamped?
  • Options
    Here is a side view pic and a front view
  • Options
    razorface1027razorface1027 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭
    Oh, nevermind! They'll whack you with a bump like that.image
    What is money, in reality, but dirty pieces of paper and metal upon which privilege is stamped?
  • Options
    Hi,

Rim damage may make a coin unslabbable (assuming that’s actually a word) actually a lot of little things will make the big three turn down grading the coin…. There’s a list of understating upgradeable coins… it absolutely does not mean the coin is worthless, far, far, FAR from that… it just means that unworthy of a slab.

Rim dings, IMHO take a lot of eye appeal away from a coin… I’d rather have a softer strike or more ware, that rim dings but, others would rather have two rim dings and a strong strike… eye appeal is in the eye of the beholder.

It’s just like toning… I know folks who only want blast white Morgans others only want golden or rainbow like toning… I’ve had others tell me that would never put a rainbow coin in there collection, while others only collect rainbows… again, eye appeal is in the eye of the beholder.

Okay, enough rambling… toss a pic so we can see how significant the rim dings are.

Here's the NGC "no grade guide" I can't find the PCGS one:
    No grade guide

Anthony

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file