Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Twelve 24 carat gold proof outerspace Sac 1$.......

fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
...where are they now? Any idea of the mint mark "W" or "S"?

Comments

  • Options
    I remember a coinworld article saying they were going to all be destroyed by th Mint and not even one saved for the Smithsonian.

    Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No "F" ing Wayimageimageimage
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    I remember a coinworld article saying they were going to all be destroyed by th Mint and not even one saved for the Smithsonian.

    Even if that were true I'm sure there's at least a 115% chance that someone found a way to sneak one or two away from the melting pot.

    They'll turn up in 50 years or so.

    image
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope they weren't melted. If they melted them they melted history. The gold 24 carat sac dollars half to be the most valuable modern coin ever minted in the US.

    Robert... I doubt anyone could save these from the melting pot with a mintage of only 12.
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,958 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Do they even really count as coins? They really weren't authorized by law as I remember. Not legal tender?
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS70... Do the Five 1913 proof liberty nickels count as coins they were authorized by law either.imageimage
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,958 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I think that's up in the air too!
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,958 ✭✭✭✭✭

    No "space" pun intended...... image
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536 ✭
    I'm fairly sure they are still in the mint or at least a Treasury vault. I don't believe they have been destroyed. Mint mark is W. If you ever saw that History channel show on the mint where they spend a lot of time discussing the "new golden dollar that will be comng out" you will remember the scene where they show how a master hub is made on the reducing machine. If you pay close attention to the model being reduced you will see that it is the 2000-W hub they are creating there.
  • Options
    SemperFISemperFI Posts: 802 ✭✭✭
    I heard somewhere that they were sent and stored at Fort Knox after returning from the Space Shuttle. I think that info may have been from someones Sac Dollar website who also belongs to the forum. I have not heard anything about them wanting to melt them.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file