Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What Grade Would PCGS Give To This?

I am courious what you think this will wind up as in a PCGS holder? image
Here's the link.
It looks pretty good, but who or what is PCC? image
I am hoping for ms67RD...I guess this will be my first real experiment.

Comments

• Options
    The pics leave a lot to be desired ~ no way to grade from those photos
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So far as I know, that date in 67 is worth something. All that picture shows is lustre, which all of these coins posess... I'd bet it's no greater than MS65RD...
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Assuming no ticks, visible specks, or distractions... looks 66RD... 67RD at best... but I wouldnt buy a raw "67-68-69-70-71-72" coin of ebay and pay over generic BU price for it. Dealers know that if they want the premium, it's got to have the right plastic around the coin.

I agree with ElectricEye, though. Absolutley no way to grade from that pic.

David
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No chance of a 67 from PCGS in my mind. The "O" on the rev is not fully formed, I'd say MS65 best also.

Chris
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    Great Scott! I cannot believe we're having this debate! For an example of PCC grading, check out this thread:
    Guess the grade: Slabbed 1999-P Penn quarter
    Salute the automobile: The greatest anti-pollution device in human history!
    (Just think of city streets clogged with a hundred thousand horses each generating 15 lbs of manure every day...)
  • Options
    I do so love it when people list these bottom feeder slabs, then quote PCGS prices on the coins and then sell the coins for fractions of pennies on the dollar! If any of these con artists actually believed in thier product and in the coins that they were selling, they would never sell anything because either the starting price or the reserve would be so high that nobody would buy the coins!
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • Options
    PCGS would give it no better than a 66 red.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Anybody else notice the label says "Penny"? image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    melikecoinsmelikecoins Posts: 1,154 ✭✭
    I have been seeing a lot of these holders on bid boards latey

They are always 4 to 5 points (min) higher them PCGS may give

Glen
    I don't buy slabs I make them
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    Anybody else notice the label says "Penny"?

Maybe they are unaware of the term "cent"..... image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    Hi,

The cent has wonderful luster and probably was cut from a proof set however; with such a small photo, it’s very hard to see the strike… most likely an MS64 or MS65 if it was in a PCGS holder… but of course it’s not in a PCGS holder. It’s the good ole, quote the PCGS price guide then offer the “joe-blow” holder trick.

However, honestly… even if the seller wrote “if this was a PCGS holder, the coin would be worth thousands… here’s your chance to have a slabbed MS67 for a bargain price!” … it would have sold for the same price, or even more, on Ebay.

Buyers love it when a coin is in a plastic holder… something magical happens, even if the holder is not one of the big three.

Anthony
  • Options
    LAWMANLAWMAN Posts: 1,278
    IT'S SHINY BUT IT'S TOO TINY
    DSW
  • Options
    color looks funny to me.
    is that the light or photoshop ?
    pix are not enough to form a grade opinion.

Proof

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file