Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

my first slabbing submission...

I just saw that NGC posted my coins that I submitted.

Kind of surprised on the Franklins. I thought they might be FBL, but they weren't. I didn't expect the grade though. I was expecting MS63FBL or something, I guess. Is coinuniverse right on the value of MS66 Franklins from 1962 and 1963?

You might ask why I slabbed that second Eagle... It was a gift from a friend and has some neat rim toning.

001 2000 D MILLENNIUM SET $1 MS 67 PL

002 2000 EAGLE MILLENNIUM SET S$1 MS 69

003 1987 EAGLE S$1 MS 68

004 1963 50C MS 66

005 1962 50C MS 66
The Wegner ARRC Bingle Set

Looking for 1967 PCGS/NGC slabbed coins.

Comments

• Options

<< <i>I just saw that NGC posted my coins that I submitted.

Kind of surprised on the Franklins. I thought they might be FBL, but they weren't. I didn't expect the grade though. I was expecting MS63FBL or something, I guess. Is coinuniverse right on the value of MS66 Franklins from 1962 and 1963?

You might ask why I slabbed that second Eagle... It was a gift from a friend and has some neat rim toning.

001 2000 D MILLENNIUM SET $1 MS 67 PL

002 2000 EAGLE MILLENNIUM SET S$1 MS 69

003 1987 EAGLE S$1 MS 68

004 1963 50C MS 66

005 1962 50C MS 66 >>

No offense but I would never send those in to get graded, but its your first time, I mean I was gonna send in common date seated liberty dimes on mine. But I havent sent anything in yet, dont know if I ever will.
    Scott Hopkins
    -YN Currently Collecting & Researching Colonial World Coins, Especially Spanish Coins, With a Great Interest in WWII Militaria.

My Ebay!
  • Options
    These weren't actually the NGC 'free' submissions. I'm going to send in some pre-1900 coins on those.

There was a discussion earlier regarding what value a coin should have before it be considered for slabbing. Everyone had a different value... some said slabs were not worth paying for... and many said "whatever turns you on..."

I needed a Franklin for my type set... and I needed a PL Sac for my Sac set.

• Options
    ddbirdddbird Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭
    I think they are a good 1st time slab...Slabing doesnt hurt, and if you have the time and money, go for it!
  • Options

• Options
    uhhhhh

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless that scan is awefully inaccurate, those Franklins aren't MS, they're proof. NGC should fix that for free...

Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On the other hand, might I suggest making each coin its own picture and scaling them down? 1.7MB is a lot for most people to chew, even those on cable.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    I cant tell a thing from the pics your scans are to small. image
  • Options
    Some nice yellow toning on them image
  • Options
    I need to get my scanning software working again, the default microsoft software is awful.

• Options
    Anyone have scans of 1962 and 1963 MS66 Franklin? They don't have to be huge scans, either. haha

I'd like to compare them to these.

• Options
    You should use photoshop to crop the images a bit.

Here is one of your coins after photoshop made it smaller:

• Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,422 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No offense but I would never send those in to get graded, but its your first time, I mean I was gonna send in common date seated liberty dimes on mine. But I havent sent anything in yet, dont know if I ever will. >>

Those were fine coins to send in. Good grades on the Franklins (assuming they are MS and not proofs)-Fine grades on the Millennium set, too.
  • Options
    Is it common for a slabber to mistake MS for PF?

I agree that the Franklins look PL...

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>No offense but I would never send those in to get graded, but its your first time, I mean I was gonna send in common date seated liberty dimes on mine. But I havent sent anything in yet, dont know if I ever will. >>

Those were fine coins to send in. Good grades on the Franklins (assuming they are MS and not proofs)-Fine grades on the Millennium set, too. >>

I just don't have any interest in modern coins except roosevelt dimes and sometimes jefferson nickels, otherwise they mostly bore me. But I guess mostly modern stuff is submitted, and it makes money so I can see why you did it. Good grades on those Frankies, they look decent.
    Scott Hopkins
    -YN Currently Collecting & Researching Colonial World Coins, Especially Spanish Coins, With a Great Interest in WWII Militaria.

My Ebay!
  • Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977
    cdwegner

That was a great first submission. I agree that the Franklins sure look prooflike. It could be a "mechanical error"(I don't know very much about the series)image

Don't let the one or two naysayers here try to tell you what to submit. Collecting is a personal thing. In my other favorite pastime, hiking, we have a saying "HYOH - hike your own hike". I find it to be true with my collecting as well. Collect the way you want to and solely for enjoyment. And don't let anyone tell you how you are doing it wrong unless you request help.

Again, great first submission. I remember mine and how excited I was to recieve the grades, although mine were a little more dissapointing than yours.image
  • Options
    Second slabbing submissions have been reported... These are the 5 free ones...

Not good results.

I have a batch of Walking Liberties that I bought a long time ago that are all obviously whizzed... So, I thought I knew what that looked like. I GUESS NOT!

It's funny that I thought that the two submitted Morgans, which are nicely toned, would get body bagged; they ended up being the two survivors.

1887 $1 MS65
    1878 7TF, REV of 78 $1 MS64
    1872S Below Bow H10C Improperly Cleaned
    1883 Shield 5C Whizzed
    1911 5c Improperly Cleaned

The Liberty nickel is toned a nice lemon yellow... so I guess I'm not suprised that it had been tampered with in the past.

The 1872S, 1883 and 1911 were a gift from my Dad. He bought them in one of those Capital(?) holders. Sleazy dealer? You be the judge...

Oh well. image

c

• Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    How did you get a 200x200 icon?
  • Options
    skill

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I just don't have any interest in modern coins except roosevelt dimes and sometimes jefferson nickels, otherwise they mostly bore me. But I guess mostly modern stuff is submitted, and it makes money so I can see why you did it. >>

So young and already an elitist snob.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

• Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So young and already an elitist snob. >>

I don't think a lack of interest in moderns makes you an "elitist snob." I have no interest in moderns, yet I don't consider myself a "superior numismatist" or "more of a *real* collector" because of it...
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't think a lack of interest in moderns makes you an "elitist snob." >>

Lack of interest, no. Attitude, as evidenced by his post, yes.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Avatar is damned huge. Blocked by my firewall.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file