Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

lets see a pic of your favorite rare or oddball card

I love rare oddball pieces. I do not care about grade or even if its graded ! just to prove my point heres one of my favorite
pieces. lets see some of yours !!

Comments

• Options
    I meant to get this up for a different oddball thread and never did. Thanks for offering another opportunity!

Below is a '92 Spoof Bogus Baseball Cards "Alan Camel". Really, this is a pretty dubious issue--no MLPBA references anywhere. But there's no need of them, because no photos of big-leaguers or team logos are used. The intent is pretty obvious though.

Always looking for PSA 9 or better Alan Trammell basic set cards. Visit my Trammell card web site at "www.trammellcards.com"
  • Options
    speederspeeder Posts: 819
    a 1995 carolina league 50th anniversary . given away at one of the minor league games as a set in 1995. ever seen one ?

• Options
    Something I failed to mention when I posted the Alan Camel pic--what really makes this a fun one for me is the text on the back. I can read it OK on my PC, but let me know if it's not unreadable on yours and I'll type it out.

Peter G.
    Always looking for PSA 9 or better Alan Trammell basic set cards. Visit my Trammell card web site at "www.trammellcards.com"
  • Options
    Here is a 1 of 4 with none higher Ryan.

This one is a 1 of 2 Ryan:

This one is a 1 of 2 Ryan:

Scott Jeanblanc
    jeanblanc@iconnect.net
    Ebay UserId : sjeanblanc
    -------------------------------------------
    Collecting Nolan Ryan cards (68-94)
  • Options
    mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    Would post a pic of the candy lid but it has been in transit from Newport Beach since the 25th. If you ask me, that is a long time for a piece of registered mail to make it to Texas. It's probably lost somewhere - doesn't matter cause I can just pick up another one on ebay.

• Options
    hey mudflap,I know its not ryan, but its a candy lid graded psa-6. was`nt yours graded a 6 also ?
    this will have to do for now.
    your friend, lee

• Options
    Always buying high grade Mike Schmidt and Steve Carlton cards!!!
  • Options
    DhjacksDhjacks Posts: 343 ✭✭
    It's not a card, but it is my favorite piece of memorabilia. I snatched it from the jaws of death (neighbor's garbage can) on my way to school 30 years ago. It includes great (approx 5x7) pics of May, McCovey, Marichal, Bonds and the rest of the '71 Giants. It's on heavy poster board. I need to get it framed, as I don't think psa's gonna slab it.
    Working on 1969 through 1975 Basketball.
  • Options
    goodriddance189goodriddance189 Posts: 2,388 ✭✭
  • Options

I know this isn't sports related but i just picked up this "oddball" 1966 Topps Monster Laffs 12 card cello pack. I collect Pre-1977 wax and cellos and i love the old monster movies so when i saw this i had to have it.

Check out my new web site: Monsters of the Gridiron
  • Options
    GolfcollectorGolfcollector Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭
    1932 Abdulla Bobby Jones, I just picked this one up recently, it will be on the way to PSA! These are RARE RARE RARE. Only the 2nd one I have seen in 8 years of collecting.
    Dave Johnson- Big Red Country-Nebraska
    Collector of Vintage Golf cards! Let me know what you might have.
  • Options
    I actually have 2. One is of the oddball variety and one is of the rare variety (I don't know that for sure but I haven't seen too many of these Vick cards).

Registry Sets:
    T-205 Gold PSA 4 & up
    1967 Topps BB PSA 8 & up
    1975 Topps BB PSA 9 & up
    1959 Topps FB PSA 8 & up
    1976 Topps FB PSA 9 & up
    1981 Topps FB PSA 10
    1976-77 Topps BK PSA 9 & up
    1988-89 Fleer BK PSA 10
    3,000 Hit Club RC PSA 5 & Up

My Sets
  • Options
    jimtbjimtb Posts: 704 ✭✭
    Wow, I've never seen an actual Chemstrand card before, thanks for poting my pic.

Peter, I like the Alan Camel card also, but my favorite Tram card isn't really an oddball. The 91 Score "The Franchise" subset is beautiful, and contains my Favorite Tram card. It's simple and classic.
    Jim
    Collecting all graded Alan Trammell graded cards as well as graded 1984 Topps, Donruss, and Fleer Detroit Tigers
  • Options
    The Score Franchise subset is pretty nice--I like black-and-white photo cards in general. Their '92 Dream Team subset was also well done as they got a little more creative with the photography. I've kept around a Rob Dibble from that subset just because I like the photo--it really captures the "Nasty Boy" image:

Although the scarcity and humor of the Camel card inspired my post, I don't think it's my absolute favorite oddball, especially since it doesn't even qualify for my Trammell master checklist. I really like the '94 Triple Play Medalists insert, which is almost an oddball given the lack of success Donruss had with that brand. I also like the jazzy red borders framing a newspaper background on the '81 Detroit News set. As usual, I'm having trouble picking just one. image

imageimage

Peter G.

• Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    This Permagraphic credit card is pretty cool. Somebody said PSA even grades them.

• Options
    1979 Family Fun Center Autograph

1981 Topps Sticker

1971 OPC Dal Maxvill

1986 OPC Box Bottom (perfect cut)

• Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    The card itself may not be as rare as others posted here, but this is the first one I've seen autographed (although I wish it were signed on the front):

Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    love those ryans scott. mudflap, come on now, i know you have some STUFF, goodriddance, i dont know much about hockey, but its small
    its b/w its got to be rare !! yo, superpunk thats what i want !! love it !! marty, go home with that stuff << i have the whole set in gem mint <<>> NOT !! marty, super, give me more << come on mr dolan, dig deep. peterredshoes, whos alan trammel, love that dibble card
    dhjacks + golfcollector very sweet, really, NICE.
    its slowed down alittle so heres another fav of mine

• Options

<< <i>a 1994 carolina league all time team. given away at one of the minor league games as a set in 1994

>>

Lee:

Does this set include Yaz? If so, can you please forward a scan when you have a chance, thanks.
    “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin
  • Options
    hey 67,
    that card was actually a (1995 carolina league 50th anniversary) set.
    yaz was #35, last card in the set.
    and i can`t find it, can`t find any other part of the set either.
    i`ll keep looking though. i have lots of stuff and i run across things i swore i did`nt have.
    sorry, your friend, lee

could`nt resist one last one !

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
    murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
  • Options
    It's not strictly a card and PSA wouldn't grade it (no holder big enough!) but I really like this Johnny Bench poster that was a folded insert in a 1970 pack. A pretty uncommon early Bench item to survive intact, I would guess. I also love the Bench permagraphic credit card in my sig.

Can't let you have all the cool Bench stuff in this thread, Lee. (But don't ever leave that Deckle Edge alone with me) image

• Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

SHOCKingly disasterous for my Bolts ...

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
  • Options
    Love to see an unfolded set (or even some singles) come out of the Topps Vault. How many are in the set?
  • Options
    dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    wolfbear -- that Ryan Leaf "future shock" card is amazingly prophetic - especially to the Charger's front office.
  • Options
  • Options
    zsz70zsz70 Posts: 541
    Murcerfan,

Is that cignus X1 from Neil, Geddy, and Alex ?
  • Options
    i wish i could get a pic of my 1969 topps team poster (reds) up here.
    well, heres one of rarest benchs of all --- bar none !

• Options
    VirtualizardVirtualizard Posts: 1,936 ✭✭
    Lee,

Congrats on the awesome '68 Venezuelan Bench! PSA 5 for the '68 V's is equivalent to PSA 10 for the Topps version of that year. I can't imagine ever finding many cards from this issue in better condition than that one. '67 and '68 are definitely some of the toughest Venezuelan issues to come by in decent condition.

I haven't been able to locate the '68 yet, but here's the best I've found so far for the '67 in my set:

JEB.
  • Options
    why jeb, your going to make me blush. thank you.
    did you see the 77-venez. sticker psa-1, it was on page 1, top of thread. one of my favorites.
    and jeb, i`ve checked out your #1 stargell master set,,,,,, totally awesome !! a great collecting effort.
    your friend, lee

MY #1 ~ALL TIME FINEST~ JOHNNY BENCH MASTER SET (over 45 scans for your enjoyment)
  • Options
    Lee,

Thanks!

I did see your '77 Venezuelan. You should re-scan it - it appears very dark, but it looks great for a PSA 1! Obviously, there is no reverse left on the card/sticker, right? This is typical for the '77 V's. I'll submit one eventually.

JEB.
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Great stuff here; thanks for getting the ball rolling. Oddball stuff is near and dear to my heart. Here are a few:

Not gradeable (I don't think), but this is a 1930's season ticket pass holder:

This is a 1934 set of Japanese football (soccer) cards:

Gibson guitar cards, issued with Vintage series strings:

And, of course, this one's for Murcerfan:
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    OK, I guess I'll respond to the original question now. Although I love the Venezuelans, they definitely can't be called my "favorite" rare or oddball cards. I know I've posted this scan several times in the past, but it does remain my favorite oddball:

JEB.
  • Options
  • Options
    heres the back, i`ve seen worse. but psa is very, very unforgiving when it comes to glue issues.
    and just between you and me, i`ve got a 72 prostar of bench headed to psa as we speak. willie will finally have some company.
    i know you currently have the only graded prostar, very sweet.
    your friend, lee

• Options
    Here's another, not from my Stargell collection, that I really like. I'm seriously considering an attempt at this set. I love the holders. BTW, I bought this ungraded several years ago and submitted it to PSA a few months ago. Very happy with the result:

JEB.
  • Options
    Great to see Venezuelans. I'll get around to reading Murcerfan's post on how to display a picture, but for now here's a jpeg of one of my favorite Venezuelans (the other is the '59 Mantle, but it's in a 1" thick lucite holder.) FYI: the '67 and '68s are much tougher than '62, '64 and '66; '59 and '60 are very tough.

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin
  • Options
    MF - what can I say? I enjoy being sick!image

Good lord, 67; that Yaz rookie must be impossible to find in that condition - nice post!!!!
    Mark (amerbbcards)

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Murcer- You keep on at Mark about the Morrell's but he knows that with just one phonecall I can be at his house in minutes with cash or Bell Brands!

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    67Standup,

That's an amazing Venezuelan Yaz Rookie! Did you submit that yourself or purchase it already graded? Just curious as to what that set you back, if you'd care to share.

Here's some more of my Venezuelans:

JEB.
  • Options
    magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    Jeb, How do you tell the difference between them and a regular Topps issue? I can't see any.

Dave
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Options
    Dave,

Check out this previous thread.

JEB.
  • Options

<< <i>Murcer- You keep on at Mark about the Morrell's but he knows that with just one phonecall I can be at his house in minutes with cash or Bell Brands! >>

Come on now, next thing we'll have Dave splashing around in the Santa Monica surf!

Meanwhile, here's my new favorite oddball card:
    Mark (amerbbcards)

• Options
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Mark-
    What set does the disgraced former ambassador to Ghana appear?

Murcer- I pictured you as a Ventura county line kinda biker surfer. Although that telemark stuff you're into nails you as a NorCal soul surfer.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

MorrellMan - for posting that pic - no animal crackers in your soup for one full year.

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"