Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is a good/great LOW priced DDO?

BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
Cash flow is low but desire still burns.
I am wondering what is a really good (easy to view) DDO to get?
And, where would people suggest getting one?

I would prefer slabbed.

How much do you think it would cost?

Thanks,

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

Comments

• Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    1995 1c

50.00-150.00

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What he said.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not agree with goose3.

I prefer the 1972/72 DDO for combination of price, popularity, easy to see doubling, and availability.

If you look real hard, you can find a nice one in MS-65Red (PCGS or NGC or even Hallmark) for around $500.

If that is too pricey, then a MS-64Red would save you some money and look good too.

It is worth saving money for.

The 1995 DDO is akin to triple A baseball but is not bad to own. The 1972 is definitely major league material (to use baseball terminology).
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options

<< <i>Cash flow is low but desire still burns.
    I am wondering what is a really good (easy to view) DDO to get?
    And, where would people suggest getting one?

I would prefer slabbed.

How much do you think it would cost?

Thanks, >>

Please explain what a DDO is? New term to me.
  • Options
    Oreville,
    I gave that opinion based on Bochiman's use of the word "LOW" in regards to price.

I agree with you. The 72, or even the 83 DDR are MUCH better!
  • Options
    Also Ira4, one of our own posters is as astute a dealer as any in the entire coin hobby in attempting to locate an affordable one that still looks good for the money.

I have used him in the past and he is very good indeed. He is not cheap but quality and Ira4 go hand in hand.
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can also get a nice 1972 Die #3 DDO for around $50 in BU, maybe less, in an ANACS holder. It's not as dramatic as Die #1 but still has a full letter-bar separation between hubbings. If you want doubling you can see without a loupe, there are the the 1974-D DDO halves, along with two nicely tripled 1964-D halves, which are also reasonbly priced.

Most of these show up regularly on eBay. I used to search the U.S. Coins category for DDs with this string: "double* -eagle".

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    GoldCoinLover:

DDO= Doubled Die Obverse
    DDR= Doubled Die Reverse

Note that the term is correctly called doubleD die not double die.

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You can also get a nice 1972 Die #3 DDO for around $50 in BU, maybe less, in an ANACS holder. It's not as dramatic as Die #1 but still has a full letter-bar separation between hubbings. If you want doubling you can see without a loupe, there are the the 1974-D DDO halves, along with two nicely tripled 1964-D halves, which are also reasonbly priced. >>

Exactly. I once had the good fortune to get a whole BU roll of Die #3 DDO's as an extra freebie in a roll set of Memorials I bought. Back when I was a newbie in the late 70's, we called 'em "Poor Man's Doubled Dies". I thought they weren't worth much and gave several away before somebody pointed out the error of my ways. These all had noticeable doubling in "IN GOD WE TRUST" and "LIBERTY". I ended up selling several raw on eBay for about $8-12 each. One guy who bought some from me later told me he'd submitted them to ANACS and got MS63 RD's on most of them, and got $50-75 each when he resold them on eBay!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you should buy the 1864 No L DDO I have consigned with Eagle Eye Rare Coins...imageimage It's a great coin and actually rare......
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some good suggestions above. Another to consider is the 1960 proof dime. A nice double die and not too expensive. You should be able to get one for less than $200.

Cameonut

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭
    Without Question

The 1955/55 DDO Lincoln

You only need one,so enjoy it and splurge.It is also your BEST investment.

Stewart
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I do not agree with goose3.

I prefer the 1972/72 DDO for combination of price, popularity, easy to see doubling, and availability.

If you look real hard, you can find a nice one in MS-65Red (PCGS or NGC or even Hallmark) for around $500.

If that is too pricey, then a MS-64Red would save you some money and look good too.

It is worth saving money for.

The 1995 DDO is akin to triple A baseball but is not bad to own. The 1972 is definitely major league material (to use baseball terminology). >>

I would agree that the most distinctive variety of the 1972 DDO is a good coin, but you will be VERY disappointed with the quality of many pieces in so-called MS-65 holders. A lot of them have ugly black spots and are not MS-65 coins at all IMO. image
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Update....

I pulled the trigger on an Ira PCGS MS64 DDO 1972 lincoln.
    Looks good from his auction pics.....$400.

I came close to the '95 lincoln that I saw but decided that since finances were looking up, to go for one that people held in a little more esteem that would look good.
    The '55 lincoln is still out of my range....I prefer RD/RB over most of the chocolate browns so that would mean higher grade which really put it out of my range.

Wanted to thank people fo their suggestions in this thread.....it's been awhile but I was biding my time and trying to be picky.

I won't have the coin until later this week, but have dealt with Ira before and believe the coin will be very nice. According to Ira on the ebay auction, no spots on the coin, so that will be nice.

Thanks again folks!

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    Bochiman: You will love those 1972 DDO's!

Let us see it when you get it.

When Ira says it has no spots it means it has no spots!
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    I think the 1964 DDR is a great one. Great splits you can see without magnification.
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Forgot to add that I'm referring to a cent.
  • Options
    if that's the one he had on ebay recently for a while........It sure looked like a nice 64 in his pics!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file