Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Smithsonian visit

DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
Just visited the National Numismatic Collection in Washington, DC. My wife surprised me with a solo trip to go see the current exhibits before they close and to spend yesterday, May 24th, with Dick Doty, curator, looking at whatever coins I wanted to see in private viewing. What a great trip. I looked at all the barber halves and quite a few interesting pattern and early coins. Really a neat trip. I will write this up in a future article for the Barber Collector's Society Journal. Dr. Doty considers the numismatic collection (over 600, 000 items) to belong to Americans and we can visit and personally examine the coins with proper arrangements ahead of time. Anyone else out there ever do this? Very nice of my wife to do this.
Dr. Pete

Comments

• Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    HootHoot Posts: 867
    That's the most encouraging thing I've heard so far about this maneuver. Thanks for the news!

Hoot
    From this hour I ordain myself loos'd of limits and imaginary lines. - Whitman
  • Options
    GeminiGemini Posts: 3,085
    I didn't know you could do that...most neat and I agree that was very nice of your wife to arrange that for you.
    A thing of beauty is a joy for ever
  • Options
    Hmmm. I'm only 3 hours away from DC; maybe I ought to try that some day. I want to see
    the new Air and Space annex at Dulles anyway.
    Robert Getty - Lifetime project to complete the finest collection of 1872 dated coins.
  • Options
    One caveat about visiting the National Numismatic Collection. Dr. Doty soon leaves for several months to be in Europe doing research Make sure you contact him ahead of time for a visit to be sure he won't be out of the nest when you are there. Meeting Dick and talking with him was a highlight of my trip. Not bad that I got to see a 1913 V nickel and many unique or two of a kind patterns. The 1822 $5 gold wasn't too bad, either.
    Dr. Pete
  • Options
    TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hmmm. I'm only 3 hours away from DC; maybe I ought to try that some day. I want to see
    the new Air and Space annex at Dulles anyway. >>

Give me a shout when you go to the Air & Space annex in Dulles. If you want, I'll meet you over there.
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Wow, that sounds great, who knew you could get up close and personal with the coins.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any chance you could get Mr. Doty to agree to having the collection digitally photographed and put onto its own website to create a virtual tour before the exhibit gets locked away? Hopefully they already have some funds that could be used for such a purpose. If I recall correctly, Airplanenut advertises he is available to photograph coins - maybe he can submit a bid, could be an interesting summer job for a student. Another alternative would be to have the collection photographed with the "coin scope" described on another thread.

Coin Scope thread
  • Options
    merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    NC
    That is a great idea !! I second that motion.
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • Options
    An article about my trip to see the barber halves at the Smithsonian has just been submitted to the Barber Collector's Society Journal. The journal is published four times a year so it may be a while before it sees publication.

The only regular issue coin missing from the collection is the 1906-O and I recently purchased a nice XF example to donate to the collection. No 1892-O micro O or 1898-O micro O halves there.
    Dr. Pete
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    Peter,

Thanks for sharing your experience with the US Coin Forum. Your pictures should be posted as your schedule permits. We'd all love to see them !

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any chance you could get Mr. Doty to agree to having the collection digitally photographed and put onto its own website to create a virtual tour before the exhibit gets locked away?

600,000 coins? 1.2 million images??? They would obvioulsy need a whole lot of help.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    Bringing back this old thread, at the request of MFH, and given the recent posts about the Smithsonian.
    Dr. Pete

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file