Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

I think it phoney

NO marks toning or even a fingerprint, and he seems to sell to a lot of LIARS.
gothic crown

Comments

• Options
    cosmicdebriscosmicdebris Posts: 12,333
    Scam artist
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    There are a lot of copies of the coin now being sold. Wouldn't surprise me if a lot of people will try to pass them off as the real thing by using lousy pictures to obscure the differences.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's his feedback . The top negative is for another gothic crown. Must be nice having a couple perfect gothic crowns lying around!!!

• Options
    I sent the him an email

<<Shame on you for trying to pass a copy off as an original. I see it is not the first time you have done it either.>>
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    cosmic, image
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    image I see that his top bidder has "0" feedback, hope he gets it and it is a phoney account out to foil this guy.
  • Options
    Seller's reply:

<<The coin is not a copy, so shame on you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >>

So I sent him this:

<<If true then shame on me. Do you have higher resolution and larger images you can email me?>>
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    This guy is a real piece of work,,,, the mark at the top of the coin looks like the copies that are up on ebay, but rounded I think. If he sends a real picture I'll be surprised
  • Options
    Emails continueimage

Him:
    <<Sorry but thoses are the best pictures of the coin i have, they where taken using a friends scanner.>>

Me:

<<That's too bad because if this coin is the real deal it should bring around £7500 according to Spinks. It looks like you'll be lucky to get £50 for it. I would end the end auction and get better pictures if I were you.>>
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    Looks fake......image
    PCBUM

imageimage
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    More feedback:

"CHEQUE STOPPED, FAKE COIN see 3905169216 bought as copy sold as genuine. Buyer roywirral( 204) Apr-26-04 01:02 3908165527
    Reply by almul: DESCRIPTION SAYS THE COIN WAS A COPY DUH ROY, AS FOR 3905169216 IT IS NOT A COPY Apr-26-04 01:58"

Facts: Coin is indeed item 3905169216 which was a copy. He added that the coin is a copy in his description, after the auction ended.

More:
    - " CON artist beware, thief, sends horrible coin.Ebays worst ,BEWARE. Buyer lilpiggy0929( 16) Apr-15-04 09:17 3904142180
    Reply by almul: SUCH A LIAR, PLEASE LOOK AT THE AMOUNT OF POSTIVE FEEBACK I HAVE RECEIVED.

- I don't think item sent was item in the picture, wouldn't buy from him again Buyer sallypolly_sally( 24) Mar-19-04 09:27 2215319938
    Reply by almul: Auction ended in Jan why complain now? Complaint is lies"

The buyer was probably right. The same coin, a 1921 florin was sold a few weeks earlier to someone else:

(positive feedback):" Received promptly, good service. The piece is too worn to be collectible : ( Buyer alexacy( 170) Feb-24-04 23:59 2222171267
    Reply by almul: PIC'S OF THE COIN WHERE SHOWN, IF YOU DIDN'T LIKE THEM WHY DID YOU BID????"

As a buyer he's no better:

NON PAYING BIDDER, RUDE EMAILS. SELLERS BEWARE Seller jayjay1uk( 2641) Jan-27-04 00:03 3165126359
    Reply by almul: Payment offered and refused, ignorant, low intelligence, lots of neg feedback Jan-27-04 02:33
    Follow-up by jayjay1uk: HOGWASH. AS YOU SEE VERY RUDE NON PAYER WHO CANNOT READ POSITIVES : )

Bid with confidence . image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    Facts: Coin is indeed item 3905169216 which was a copy. He added that the coin is a copy in his description, after the auction ended.

The addition in the listing was made April 16 while the auction was still in progress (that finished April 25).

That doesn't change the general principle of what is going on here, though.
  • Options
    Geez $494.78 with 13 hours to go. Someone is not going to be very happy.image
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    Those "0" feedback bidders fall into one of three categories:

(1) suckers
    (2) shills
    (3) alt-ID saboteurs

Any guesses as to which category?
  • Options
    By the way, check out this auction for a copy of the gothic crown, sold by a legitimate seller who I have traded with and this auction using the exact same picture for one advertised as genuine.
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Look at THIS AUCTION and note the BUYER and the item.

Now look at THIS AUCTION and note the SELLER and the item!

If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    I saw that before. It is unbelievable to me that ebay can't or won't shut this guy down now!!

Maybe they can nail him on stolen images.
  • Options
    FAKE GUINEA!

FAKE HALF GUINEA!

FAKE CROWN!

I have sent an e-mail to the seller about each item!image
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭
    I sent an email saying that "Ebay has been notified about your fraudulent auctions"....let's see what his response will be.
  • Options
    The bidding is getting interesting. Another "0" feedback ID has entered the fray.
  • Options
    I just got this e-mail back from him:

"This Coin is not a fake, how dare you come and tell me it is, shame on you. In future mind your own business."

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options

Gotta laugh so I don't get mad!
  • Options
    My reply:

"I know what real British gold coins of that period look like and your offering is not one of them. How dare you sell FAKE coins!"

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    This is the response I got back from him...he has me shaking in my boots about the legal services...image

What on earth do you mean, the only copy i am selling is the 1777 Guinea, and it says it is a copy made from pewter in the description. Please stop harassing me of i will be forced to in form the legal services.
  • Options
    I am sure he has a team of lawyers working around the clock to shut us down!image

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    Please stop harassing me of i will be forced to in form the legal services.

Has anyone informed ebay of this guy's activities yet?
  • Options

<< <i>

Has anyone informed ebay of this guy's activities yet? >>

I could not find the way to do it on eBay.

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    they won't do squat anyway and I'm tired of receiving automated email replies asking how they are doing....sucky if you ask me...
  • Options
    This guy is really something! A thread like this is another good reason to check out this forum regularly.

Marcel
    Ebay user name: 00MadMuffin00
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The seller ended this listing early to sell to the high bidder(s) at current bid price >>

What a jerk...wait, let me re-phrase... In My Opinion..."what a jerk".

• Options
    He ended the auction early to sell it to a "serious bidder." Look at the cancellations - looks like he's been lurking over here and read this thread!! I pity Gary-1951, he's in for a shock.
  • Options
    I hope he is lurking here...read our lips!! We will hunt you until you are NARU'd!!!!
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    eBay tries to limit accusations of fraud to winning bidders ... after the fact.image
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    Ending early to sell to the high bidder. image Will there still be feedback?
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    Look what I just got from Ebay!!!!! So the bad guy is backed up by ebay it appears...what a crock!

Dear har_poon

We appreciate your membership here at eBay. As such, we would like to take this opportunity to discuss with you a complaint we received involving an unwanted email you sent to another member via the eBay Email Forwarding System.

The purpose of the Email Forwarding System is to provide open communication between a seller and a buyer regarding an eBay transaction. Below is a copy of the email you sent through the Email Forwarding System:

Ebay has been notified about this fraudulent auction...and the others
    you are running too.
    To view the item, go to:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3911918287
    Thank you,
    har_poon-------------------

Although eBay maintains a neutral position regarding this complaint, we wanted to let you know a complaint has been received. Currently this will not affect your account. Any complaint to eBay regarding the use of the Email Forwarding System outside of its intended purpose can be reported to eBay.

More information regarding eBay's Email Forwarding System guidelines can be found at:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/rfe-unwelcome-email-misuse.html

Thank you in advance for your cooperation in this important matter.

Regards,

Customer Support (Trust and Safety Department)
    eBay Inc

• Options
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Like Scott, I got the following e-mail from eBay:

Dear aethelred.ii (mmbt1@bellsouth.net),

We appreciate your membership here at eBay. As such, we would like to take this
    opportunity to discuss with you a complaint we received involving an unwanted
    email you sent to another member via the eBay Email Forwarding System.

The purpose of the Email Forwarding System is to provide open communication
    between a seller and a buyer regarding an eBay transaction. Below is a copy of
    the email you sent through the Email Forwarding System:

This coin is also fake! Do you sell any real coins?

Although eBay maintains a neutral position regarding this complaint, we wanted
    to let you know a complaint has been received. Currently this will not affect
    your account. Any complaint to eBay regarding the use of the Email Forwarding
    System outside of its intended purpose can be reported to eBay.

More information regarding eBay's Email Forwarding System guidelines can be
    found at:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/rfe-unwelcome-email-misuse.html

Thank you in advance for your cooperation in this important matter.

Regards,

Customer Support (Trust and Safety Department)
    eBay Inc

Now I am pissed!image

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    O.K., so how do I go about reporting this putz to ebay? He wants a fight, he has one!image

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    Look under their fraud reporting....they sure don't make it easy, do they?
  • Options
    I am darn well going to take the time to figure it out now, I did it once several years ago.

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    Update: that last copy that sold for £150: the buyer gave the seller a negative!!image

Link!
  • Options
    GDJMSPGDJMSP Posts: 799
    If you really wish to do something to stop this type of fraud - telling ebay about it will do little. I might suggest instead that people such as this are reportred to the FTC and the FBI's Cyber Fraud division. I would also make an effort to determine where this individual lives and report him to the local authorities as well.

Fraud on ebay is no longer being ignored by the authorities - people are being prosecuted, tried, convicted & sentenced. That is by far the best way to deal with the problem. For the more that word gets out that such fraud has consequences - the sooner it will stop.
    knowledge ........ share it