Home U.S. Coin Forum

Grades are in

MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
Last year, I told my son (age 13) if he received all A's on his report card, I'd get him an MS63 St Gaudens. Needless to say, the next report card had all A's. At the time, I only had $20 Libs and he took one with the promise I'd let him pick out a St Gaudens later. I had several hundred St Gaudens since and he didn't like any of them. Last month he picked out a raw one and I sent it in for him. This is how it came back.

2 21565047 1908 $20 No Motto USA MS64

We made the same deal with a $10 Indian tonight. I'm anxious to part with one when he brings in all A's again.
Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is April 12-13, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com

Comments

• Maybe I would've gotten all A's in school if someone gave me an $800 coin for it image
  • LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    Super!!!!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • rdunnitrdunnit Posts: 340 ✭✭
    That's cool Mike!!
    My daughter is 3 1/2 years old and I have a bunch of old coins that really aren't worth much that I let her play with. I have a cheapy lighted loupe that I use whenever I go to flea markets or areas where the lighting is crappy. Yesterday I had been examining coins with my loupe and she asked me if she could use my lighted one. I told her yes and she proceded to examine a wooden nickel with it. It really made my day.
    She really likes Ike Dollars. I usually give her one for special occasions. She also like Buffalo Nickels but she thought that the buffalo was a lion image

Sorry for hijacking the thread but it reminded me of my daughter. Congratulations on the Grades!! Coin and school grades that is!
  • cosmicdebriscosmicdebris Posts: 12,333
    I got all "As" too. You gonna give me one?image
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • FC57CoinsFC57Coins Posts: 9,140
    Geez Dixon - getting taken advantage of by a 13 yr old is pretty sad! image

Tell your son he's done good on both coins and school image
  • darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    I got C's and D's I don't think I did good enough for a $20 gold coin but I think I deserve a $2 1/2 indain.image
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    If it takes a bribe, it is well worth the cost of the coin! Congrats!

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• A very worthwhile goal and he will have a neat gold collection by the end of High schoolimage

Cameron Kiefer
  • MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TTT
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is April 12-13, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Come on Michael, that is coin #2 on the order. Post the rest of it for us to see!!!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great story Mike.

Wish I would have held my parents hostage on something like that. I got all A's and all I got was a pat on the ass and orders to go mow the grass!!! image
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭
    Ahhh the benifits of having a coin dealer for a father. image

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 22,995 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Maybe I would've gotten all A's in school if someone gave me an $800 coin for it image >>

Yes, but $800.00 today is like .40 cents, way back then. image

peacockcoins

• mtnmanmtnman Posts: 565 ✭✭✭
    I got a $20 St. from my Dad, but I had to graduate from college to get it. Fooled him, he never thought he would have to come up with
    a $20 gold piece.
  • MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    That kid has a sharp eye.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Way to go Mike!..image
  • If I was mike jr. and my father said I could pick one out later, I would have gotten a 1907 Roman in MS-63, after all a promise is a promiseimage

Jeff
  • MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This year's promise, besides the coin "inspiration" for each 4.0 reportcard is a classic 1967 or 1968 Camaro. If he gets 4.0 for the year, he gets a Camaro to drive to school next year (junior year). He wants to attend the Naval Academy or the Coast Guard Academy and has his head on straight (unlike me).
  • nederveitnederveit Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭
    Will the classic Camaro be in MS condition?!?
  • JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You stepped up to the plate Mike and your son hit it out of the park. Good for you both, but an extra great big thumbs up to your son.image
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file