Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Has NGC "sunk" to a low with SS Republic slabs?

Out of curiosity I looked at some of the SS Republic coins Coin Vault will be selling.

What I found somewhat confusing is the coins are "NGC Certified" but carry no grade. They are labeled as "Shipwreck Effect"! WTF is that? These shipwreck coins on Coin Vault's web site would normally be body bagged. They look bleached! Lifeless and dull. NGC has dropped a notch in my book by certifying these coins. Novice collectors will only be confused when they buy these overpriced coins and expect their cleaned ones that look the same to be worth much more.

Take a look at this dull, lifeless 1860-O graded "shipwrecked" half offered at $2,200. One graded MS63 in PCGS sold last week at Central States for $1,100.

Comments

• Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    It means they are coins that have problems(Salt-water damage). Thats all they will be selling on the coin vault.
    The better coins will probably show up in real auctions.

The lowest priced one on the shop at home web site is $1,200.00

They don't list any graded coins or gold.
  • Options
    This is retarded.
  • Options
    Before selling that coin, they were selling a poster telling about the shipwreck with 2 peoples signatures on it for 90 bucks. Not sure who's signature in paticular. Like one of them said on this show, "Literally, your buying a piece of history!"

Wow! All coins are "pieces of history!"
  • Options
    puffpuff Posts: 1,475
    >>>Has NGC "sunk" to a low with SS Republic slabs<<<

Yes.image
  • Options
    Wow, that suxs. Nice presentation box, but for that kinda money I should get a piece of the ship as well.

I have to agree this was a major mistake and will probably come back to haunt NGC with the collecting public.

Michael
  • Options
    spy88spy88 Posts: 764 ✭✭
    I must concur with the same thoughts as everyone else. It makes no sense to me to offer these for sale sans grade, regardless of damage. Without the grade, you will almost certainly be over-paying for the coin and...probably even with a grade, based on the pic. Don't think it could make it to a MS so the premium for a "piece of history" is worth over $1000? image

Only those who do not know better and/or don't care about a grade to value will be buying these!

JMHO
    Everything starts and everything stops at precisely the right time for precisely the right reason.
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I saw the "shipwreck effect" and lack of grade I was pretty dissapointed with NGC...kinda lame guys.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree that NGC could have handled this in a better way. But what else should they state: "horribly cleaned" or "salt water damage".

Actually, no matter how these were listed, newbies will get smoked.
    Newbies get smoked on actually graded low end NGC coins all the time, and also high grade moderns. Welcome to reality. Business 101 in 21st century America.

In defense of this particular coin this is a much better 1861-0 confederate obv die half. Also listed in Cherrypickers at a substantial premium. This is not just any cleaned seated half dollar.
    No, it's not for me, but some newbie will buy this regardless how the coin was marked.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    Thanks for the image. It seems those silver coins should be in NCS holders.
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    I don't see the big deal here. No one's forcing anyone to buy one and it's not like NGC is selling them directly. And I reserve judgment on the look of the coins until I see one in front of me. Pictures are a poor substitute for sight seen.
  • Options

<< <i>I don't see the big deal here. >>

To me the big deal is that this is the first time NGC is slabbing problem coins. It lowers their credibility for me. I thought they started up NCS slabbing for problems coins...
  • Options
    kieferscoinskieferscoins Posts: 10,017
    This coin should be in a NCS slab plain and simple.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    This is not the first time NGC is slabbing problem coins. They have been slabbing NCS coins as "genuine" for a while now. Those are problem coins. The only difference here is that these genuine coins are labeled "shipwrecked." They could have easily labeled them
    "train wrecked" or "Ocean fodder."

roadrunner
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If history repeats itself, within a year or two, some of the poor folks who bought these coins will be coughing them up. They will be fortunate to get 50 cents on the dollar.
  • Options
  • Options
    By the time those buyers are getting 10-20 cents on the dollar for their investment, the coin market will likely be headed down.

Now that I think of it, anyone who has a $1000 to blow on TV, buys a certified coin with NO grade (that's why we certify 'em), and wants to purchase a coin graded "shipwrecked" that has sat at the ocean floor for 150 years,.....then they deserve to get it.

roadrunner
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Would someone explain to me why its any different then PCGS slabbing the Central America gold coins recovered from the ocean. These were not only conserved they were graded. Or is this only a bad thing if NGC is on the slab?

• Options
    I don't understand why NGC is being blamed for the rediculous price that is being charged for these coins. All they are doing is certifying that the coins are genuine and that they came from the shipreck. Would you hold NGC accountable if someone sold a common date NGC MS65 Saint for $5000? The responsible party should be the seller, not the grading service.
    David Schweitz
  • Options

<< <i>I don't understand why NGC is being blamed for the rediculous price that is being charged for these coins. All they are doing is certifying that the coins are genuine and that they came from the shipreck. Would you hold NGC accountable if someone sold a common date NGC MS65 Saint for $5000? The responsible party should be the seller, not the grading service. >>

Dave, because its too easy of a concept to grasp. It's not fun if there isn't intrigue or bashable. image
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey Guys

why not give NGC the benefit of the doubt?? perhaps they entered into a contract with the Salvor to conserve the coins through NCS and the Salvor wanted them in NGC holders instead of NCS holders. the compromise from NGC would be that they would do that and "no-grade" with the attached notation and the understanding that they'd be slammed by the PCGS forum!!!image

this is all pure speculation on my part, but it's plausible, don't you think??

the other option would have been to holder them and grade them. in that case, our outrage would be justified. as things are, we're probably nitpicking.

al h.image
  • Options
    RotatedRainbowsRotatedRainbows Posts: 2,085 ✭✭

<< <i>Would someone explain to me why its any different then PCGS slabbing the Central America gold coins recovered from the ocean. These were not only conserved they were graded. Or is this only a bad thing if NGC is on the slab?

image >>

You were not supposed to bring that up.image

Since PCGS is the best they can easily grade cleaned coins as non cleaned and get away with it. I am just glad no one brought up the death coins PCGS slabbed, it would show how much lower they are to actually slab grave site artifacts just for their own financial gain.
  • Options
    no worse than the Jessica Lynch coin. a PoW for a week and now she's making a ton of money. how about the real heros, the Viet Nam Vets. They spent years as Pow's and actually fought a war. you'd have to pay me to take a coin signed by a 1 week POW. She's just a publicity stunt to try and justify another "Walk in the Desert". 700 casulaties versus 50,000+ for Viet Nam vets. How about a John McCain coin, he spent 9 years as a POW, not days like lynch.

tom
    USMC
    Viet Nam Vet
    PCGS sets under The Thomas Collections. Modern Commemoratives @ NGC under "One Coin at a Time". USMC Active 1966 thru 1970" The real War.
  • Options
    For those of us in the know there is no problem. We see the slab with no grade. It says "shipwreck effect" so we know there is salt water corrosion. We will then try to net grade the coin. It would be more obvious to couch potatos if these silver coins were in NCS holders.

My understanding is that gold doesn't corrode in salt water. From what I know I will have no problem with NGC slabbing the gold from the SS Republic, at least as long as they didn't damage the coin removing corals or other growths.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Does anybody here think for a minute that PCGS wouldn't have LOVED to have this contract? NGC got it because they had the foresight and the good business acumen to set up a conservation division.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For those of us in the know there is no problem. We see the slab with no grade. It says "shipwreck effect" so we know there is salt water corrosion. We will then try to net grade the coin. It would be more obvious to couch potatos if these silver coins were in NCS holders.

hey Carl

please excuse my impertinence, but like my dad always used to say, ignorance is no excuse........ if the folks buying stuff on the "Coin Net" or whatever it's called don't have the sense to educate themselves, why would that be the fault of NGC?? and why should NGC be expected to cater to the lowest-common-educational-denominator??

this is just a furthering of the effect i call "The Dumbing of America" where things are supposed to be geared to the least intelligent to protect us all. that's a bunch of crap. yet, it goes on all around us because people as a whole are lazy. the readily touted example is of Granny getting hosed, but it probably happens more often to average Americans who are just too lazy to invest some time into where they spend their money because of lazy dreams of the get rich quick scheme. oh well, it's nothing new. just go stand in the lottery line some evening around 7 PM. those folks could use some lessons in the law of averages or calculating odds.

al h.image
  • Options
    I'm not saying NGC has an obligation to do anything in particular. They certainly have no obligation to educate folks who "are just too lazy to invest some time into where they spend their money because of lazy dreams of the get rich quick scheme". It just seems to me that, in my opinion, they would take the moral high ground if they used NCS holders to slab all problem coins. So, for me, this has lowered my opinion of NGC slightly.
  • Options
    I thought they created NCS for this exact reason. I would have slabbed them NCS personally if I were NGC President.

As for newbies and people being lazy....nobody will ever "fix" that problem. Heck, I don't even think it is a "problem."

We will always have smart people and people who research before they make an investment or purchase, and we will always have idiots who just buy whatever they want, when they want it, and could care less about the value or price.

This is life.
  • Options
    What some of the people here are missing is how these coins are being marketed. Our "friends" at Coin Vault are playing up the fact that the coins are "NGC Certified" and stress the fact NGC is the top grading service out there. All of which is true BUT there is no mention of the lack of grade and the coins have been cleaned/damaged.

Who buys from from Coin Vault? Serious collectors? Knowledgeable collectors? People who buy from CV are novices who make impulse purchases. They may know NGC and PCGS in passing and feel it's a name they can trust but in this instance they are getting ripped 2 ways. A lousy coin at a lousy price.

Longer term do you think when people realized their $2,000 coin is only fetching $150-200 they will delve even deeper into coin collecting? As a kid I got ripped by Littleton and abandoned coins for nearly 40 years. I'm certain at a $2k price tag these are adults buying and years from now they will swear off coins and tell their friends of their negative experience with NGC. CV will have long since changed their name.

Nothing like compromising your name brand to make a buck!
  • Options
    I watch those guys on the HSN coins shows on TV and they are hilarious. Absolutely hilarious. They can be educational as far as learning about certain coins and their history, but listening to what these guys say to viewers to get them to buy the coins is the funniest thing I have ever seen. I see right through everything they say because I have been collecting since 1983 and know a thing or two. But the "average" american tuning in know nothing about the difference with slabbing companies, the difference between an 1878 Morgan grading MS67 versus a state quarter grading MS67, etc. etc. The fact that these shows still air should tell us all something. They are reaping in profits all the time, selling in bulk to "average" americans who believe them when they talk about how valuable and how much of an investment a roll of MS60 JFK halves will be for the low price of $49.99.

My mother-in-law bought a whole bunch of them state quarter "platinum" and "gold" sets for the grand kids and after I found out I told her in a nice way to check with me next time and I can show her some nice coins to buy the kids for the same price she spent that will be worth 10 times more down the road. She said "these will be worth a lot more than the regular quarters because they are gold and platinum."

I love her, but she is the "average" american.
  • Options
    nOoBiEeEnOoBiEeE Posts: 1,011 ✭✭

<< <i>Would someone explain to me why its any different then PCGS slabbing the Central America gold coins recovered from the ocean. These were not only conserved they were graded. Or is this only a bad thing if NGC is on the slab? >>

<< <i>no worse than the Jessica Lynch coin. a PoW for a week and now she's making a ton of money. how about the real heros, the Viet Nam Vets. They spent years as Pow's and actually fought a war. you'd have to pay me to take a coin signed by a 1 week POW. She's just a publicity stunt to try and justify another "Walk in the Desert". 700 casulaties versus 50,000+ for Viet Nam vets. How about a John McCain coin, he spent 9 years as a POW, not days like lynch. >>

'nuff said!! image
  • Options
    I know this is off the subject a bit, but I don't even count Lynch as a POW....I know they gave her that medal, but so what, they also gave her a purple heart and a BRONZE STAR......

She was "detained" in a hospital for a week and the doctors tried to give her back but the Army would not take her because they were preparing for the "snatch and grab" operation that they wanted filmed on TV because then they look good and it is dramatical.

What a joke, a big fat sick joke. She is no hero.

If a guy would have admitted he had gotten blown out of a humvee and then dropped to his knees and started praying....he would have been court martialed and sent to prison labeled a coward. But when a cute little girl does it.....she is a hero.

Sorry, I know it's off the subject, but her name was brought up and that whole fiasco sickens me because it is a joke.

I wonder if she gives any of her new millions to the other Iraw "POWs" who have gotten nothing because the press did not like their story as much as Lynch's.
  • Options
    FYI

My grandfather got a Bronze Star for serving 4 tours in Vietnam and took 2 bullets in his chest.

PCGS did not call him for a coin deal. Neither did CNN.
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since this has turned into a lynch Lynch thread maybe I can get us even further off topic. Once the "cute little soldier girl" holding the leash coins get released which grading service will be actively bidding for that contract?
  • Options

<< <i>I watch those guys on the HSN coins shows on TV and they are hilarious. Absolutely hilarious. They can be educational as far as learning about certain coins and their history, but listening to what these guys say to viewers to get them to buy the coins is the funniest thing I have ever seen. I see right through everything they say because I have been collecting since 1983 and know a thing or two. But the "average" american tuning in know nothing about the difference with slabbing companies, the difference between an 1878 Morgan grading MS67 versus a state quarter grading MS67, etc. etc. The fact that these shows still air should tell us all something. They are reaping in profits all the time, selling in bulk to "average" americans who believe them when they talk about how valuable and how much of an investment a roll of MS60 JFK halves will be for the low price of $49.99. >>

Okay I had to turn my computer back on and come into the webboard just to say that the HSN Coin Collector: Special Edition is on TV right now. My prices were all wrong. They have a 20 coin roll of the 1964 JFK Half with a retail of $190, HSN price of $109, but on sale now for $99. They are chattering on about how the silver reserves are all gone and there are 160 million coin collectors (yeah right - everyone that keeps a state quarter in a jar is hardly a coin collector) and that these coins are "scarce" and prices will be shooting up. It is really funny to watch. By the end of it they will be sold out I bet. And every time they have these JFK halves they always say this is the last time they will have them or that they can rarely ever find them. Man this is some funny stuff....you gotta tune in and watch these guys.
  • Options
    These guys are absolutely hilarious.

But people buy from them...because they don't know any better.
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    I wonder if she gives any of her new millions to the other Iraw "POWs" who have gotten nothing because the press did not like their story as much as Lynch's.

When I saw the story about pcgs and the lynch coins, I thought it was a tacky grab for publicity in an age when patriotism means 100% support for anything military. I don't see anything wrong with ngc holdering coins from that shipwreck, since all they are doing is authenticating the coins. However, I do think that moves like these eventually cause educated collectors to start thinking that the TPG is "selling out" and becoming less respectable. It appears to me that both pcgs and ngc are in a scramble to find new and bigger ways to outdo one another in the realm of publicity and public exposure- when I think that most of us would just like them to focus on customer service and grading consistency. image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My grandfather got a Bronze Star for serving 4 tours in Vietnam and took 2 bullets in his chest. >>

Your grandfather served in Vietnam? Geez, now I know I'm getting old. BTW, please go shake his hand for me and tell him there are plenty of us who are grateful for guys like him.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    GoldfingerGoldfinger Posts: 319 ✭✭
    I agree that they should be in NCS slabs, but what's wrong with selling the history of the coin? There is a real market for them (even if that market is ridiculously high).
    small_d

e-mail me here

WINNER:
    POTD 8-30-05 (awarded by dthigpen)
    POTD 9-8-05 (awarded by gsaguy)
    GSAGUY Slam 12-10-04
  • Options
    The problem is that NGC has affiliated themselves with the lowest of the low. Robert Chambers in the last half hour said twice, "This is your last opportunity to get these Seated Half Dollars in the HiGHEST GRADE POSSIBLE". That's the problem. image

These coins are at best "Corroded - AU Details"
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    If you are a truely truely smart businessman (or woman) you know the most valuable thing a company has is it's brand name. You can't put a dollar amount on it but it is the most valuable thing, by far...

Apparantly, nobody at PCGS or NGC really "get" this.

That's all I have to say.
  • Options
    Ya know...It is strange that these coins are certified, but it's really no different than the PCGS graded Central America gold coins is it?
    Just a thought...
  • Options
    <Ya know...It is strange that these coins are certified, but it's really no different than the PCGS graded Central America gold coins is it? >

PCBUM

imageimage
  • Options
    Does that mean you condone it because pcgs did it? Thats like saying two wrongs make a right.image

Does any one know for sure what all the ngc graded gold and silver coins from the S.S Republic will look like in 10-15 years?

I guess if the graded ones turn in the slab you could send them back under the grade guarantee policy if the company's are still in business.

The main thing I don't like about the way it was done is the connection with the salvage people ngc-ncs-coin vault and the way it was presented as shipwreck effect instead of damage and while the ncs and salvage reps were on the show when Chambers was explaining how the "shipwreck effect" on the coins was so special these people didn't say squat about how it was a form of damage and the reason the coins didn't carry a grade.
  • Options
    Placid pointing out the fact that PCGS had done likewise was not intended to defend anything another company does. I originally pointed out as have others that PCGS did this too. This was pointed so the antiNGC crowd would realize that once again they stepped in it. You would think that once in awhile the process would go something like think then post, but sadly it doesn't.

If people choose to buy these its there business regardless of who holders them. It's also called personal responsibility, I doubt that many of you including myself lose much sleep because the TV coin shows sell coins. BTW they have sold them in PCGS holders yet I don't see the volume of criticism thrown their way.

Unfortunately too this process rears its head across the street in reverse. These boards are becoming more and more full of misinformation and levels of emotion instead of intelligent comments then anytime in the past 2 years.
  • Options

<< <i>I don't understand why NGC is being blamed for the rediculous price that is being charged for these coins. All they are doing is certifying that the coins are genuine and that they came from the shipreck. Would you hold NGC accountable if someone sold a common date NGC MS65 Saint for $5000? The responsible party should be the seller, not the grading service. >>

A ngc/ncs rep was present during the selling and taking part in the hype of the selling. So can you then see why ngc is being blamed?
  • Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭

<< <i><Ya know...It is strange that these coins are certified, but it's really no different than the PCGS graded Central America gold coins is it? >

image >>

I also agree. PCGS made a mistake before, and I don't think there is any way to defend its decision to slab AND GRADE, the coins. NGC is not quite as bad, since it is simply encapsulating the coin and vouching for its origin. The value is the pedigree I suppose.
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i><Ya know...It is strange that these coins are certified, but it's really no different than the PCGS graded Central America gold coins is it? >

image >>

I also agree. PCGS made a mistake before, and I don't think there is any way to defend its decision to slab AND GRADE, the coins. NGC is not quite as bad, since it is simply encapsulating the coin and vouching for its origin. The value is the pedigree I suppose. >>

That was just phase one. The ngc graded silver and gold coins from the shipwreck are yet to be sold.
  • Options

<< <i>

A ngc/ncs rep was present during the selling and taking part in the hype of the selling. So can you then see why ngc is being blamed? >>

So they made a business decision, the market will dictate whether or not it was the right decision. My point was and I will repeat it one more time, if you have a grudge against NGC for whatever reason so be it and vice versa, but before you willy nilly make a post condeming it why not include the fact that PCGS did the same thing and in your line of thinking they did a worse transgression they actually graded it. I would suggest that some of who posted here didn't realize the fact that this has been done before by PCGS. They made a business decision too and the market has reacted to it. I can't go around protecting everyone who wants to plunk down 5 or ten grand for a shipwrecked coin nor would I if I could. These companies have to make money to stay in business and to compete with one another. As Keets pointed out this deal was hammered about between the respective parties. It looks like another business deal was hammered out between Ron Gillio and one of the TPD's for the Reno Hoard. No one will force anyone to buy these coins either. If one of the TPG's beats out another for these types of deals I so what, I could care less, doesn't change my opinion of either company.

I just don't understand what the "blame" is that some of you are talking about.
  • Options
    If you don't get it then thats fine. You probably never will.
  • Options

<< <i>If you don't get it then thats fine. You probably never will. >>

It's not that I don't get your point, at this stage and experience in life I am way past that.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file