Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Picture of the PCGS grading room

From the 18th Edition of Photograde. The picture is probably 10 years old though

My posts viewed image times
since 8/1/6

Comments

• Options
    bushmaster8bushmaster8 Posts: 5,616
    Looks like the first guy is grading through the flip!
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a dungeon. image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd prefer to see these people wearing gloves.

Maybe it's just me.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Stimulating work environment.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Subliminal message whispered into the headphones... "bodybag...bodybag...bodybag..."

peacockcoins

• Options
    jbstevenjbsteven Posts: 6,178
    picture #2 is the guy who puts the PCGS fingerprint on the coins.

Can anyone identify the people in the photos?
  • Options
    GoldfingerGoldfinger Posts: 319 ✭✭
    Can't be the grading room. There's no dartboard! image
    small_d

e-mail me here

WINNER:
    POTD 8-30-05 (awarded by dthigpen)
    POTD 9-8-05 (awarded by gsaguy)
    GSAGUY Slam 12-10-04
  • Options
    At the risk of sounding dumb...

What does "sonically sealed" mean? How do they seal a slab with soundwaves???image
  • Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭

<< <i>picture #2 is the guy who puts the PCGS fingerprint on the coins.

Can anyone identify the people in the photos? >>

Not without seeing a better photo of their fingertips. image

Where are the gloves?
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    they do not use gloves
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    is it still black & white?

K S
  • Options
    cdwegnercdwegner Posts: 449
    what do you think they use the computers for?

Betcha it's to check the Pop of a coin....
    The Wegner ARRC Bingle Set

Looking for 1967 PCGS/NGC slabbed coins.
  • Options

Is that a bottle of Jack Daniels I see on desk of the middle grader??
    www.jaderarecoin.com - Updated 6/8/06. Many new coins added!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!
  • Options

<< <i>what do you think they use the computers for?

Betcha it's to check the Pop of a coin.... >>

The grade and other information from the submission is entered in to the computer. It has nothing to do with checking pops.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

<< <i>Is that a bottle of Jack Daniels I see on desk of the middle grader?? >>

No, it is a Norweb auction catalog.

• Options
    cdwegnercdwegner Posts: 449
    Russ,

Do you think they don't take Pop into account when grading coins? I would hope they wouldn't, but it wouldn't surprise me either.

c
    The Wegner ARRC Bingle Set

Looking for 1967 PCGS/NGC slabbed coins.
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    I wonder what kind of security they have at grading HQ?

Hope the graders have asked for more comfortable chairs since then, like an Aeron.
  • Options

<< <i>Do you think they don't take Pop into account when grading coins? >>

Actually, with important coins, I think they do consider it - even though they likely wouldn't admit it. That's not the purpose of the computers at the grading desks, though. The process is slow enough now. Imagine how long submissions would take if they weren't entering the information as the coins are graded.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    I understood that pops are taken into account. See D.Hall's recent post in the Q&A.
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    LAWMANLAWMAN Posts: 1,278
    Those are actually old pictures of the Manhattan Project which have recently been declassified.
    DSW
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last guy must be new. Still has 10 fingers. Sonic sealing must be noisy (note the headset).
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << Sonic sealing must be noisy (note the headset). >>

Lakesammman: Your above deduction is correct. During the recent PCGS Invitational in Las Vegas, David Hall gave us a "virtual walkthrough" of the grading of a coin, and mentioned that the sonic sealing machine emits a very loud piercing sound (high pitch I think).

I think he said they call it the "Noise Room" or something similar to that...

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Last guy must be new. Still ahs 10 fingers. Sonic sealing must be noisy (note the headset). >>

Maybe he's listening to Cool and the Gang's latest.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    Does anyone know why gloves aren't required?
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    kieferscoinskieferscoins Posts: 10,017

<< <i>Does anyone know why gloves aren't required? >>

It's harder to hold a coin and the chance of dropping it is higher.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

Gloves aren't required because they found it was harder to handle the coins with gloves on.

They have a felt pad on the desk in case a coin is dropped, but they said they dropped more coins when wearing gloves and the coins were harder to handle.
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No cubicals for those graders?? I am impressed!

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's another grader photo in this: Behind the Scenes at PCGS Article Link

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I understood that pops are taken into account. See D.Hall's recent post in the Q&A. >>

Here's the post

I take that to mean that on the low pop coins that are rare, more graders look at them, because they're worth more... makes sense to me.

Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    JrGMan2004JrGMan2004 Posts: 7,557
    I remember going to a show where PCI was set-up and grading on site... I felt sorry for the guys on that side of the room, every couple minutes there'd be a high pitched noise... It was really annoying... and gave me (and probally more than a few dealers) a headache...
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    ACG's use of the sonic sealer at their table at shows was one of the reasons they were banned by several of the large shows. First they were forced to the back of the room and then eventually denied a table at all. The sealing machine produces a loud piercing screech.
  • Options
    Independent? My god, they're sitting right next to each other. "Hey Joe, I see this one as a 64. You agree? BTW, ignore that NGC MS64 holder that it's in."
  • Options
    "At the risk of sounding dumb... What does "sonically sealed" mean? How do they seal a slab with soundwaves?"

If the frequency and intensity are strong enough, you'd be shocked what sound can do. Ultrasonic welding is a very fast and inexpensive approach to joining two separate pieces of plastic together. The sound emitted from such devices isn't particularly lound, but it is so high pitched that it almost hurts to hear it IF you can hear it (think dog whistle).

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i><< Sonic sealing must be noisy (note the headset). >> Lakesammman: Your above deduction is correct. During the recent PCGS Invitational in Las Vegas, David Hall gave us a "virtual walkthrough" of the grading of a coin, and mentioned that the sonic sealing machine emits a very loud piercing sound (high pitch I think). I think he said they call it the "Noise Room" or something similar to that... >>

Grader to himself: "Let's see. What to do? What to do? How in the name of all that is good can I get that loud, high pitch machine to stop? Hmmm.... what ::cough:: bodybag! ::cough:: to do. . .

peacockcoins

• Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    I believe that is a complete grading set of sample slabs in the first picture! image
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember DH once posted that it makes the coins too difficult to handle and that the graders are "very careful" about fingerprints.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options

The first picture shows how they INDEPENDENTLY grade the coins. You know darn well that they talk amongst themselves about the nicer coins. A coin is either "talked up" or "talked down". I can just hear it, "Hey Bill, check out this beauty, it's a 67 all day long. But, I'll let you decide INDEPENDENTLY image when I pass the coin over to you."
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Anyone know who the three graders are?---------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options

<< <i>ACG's use of the sonic sealer at their table at shows was one of the reasons they were banned by several of the large shows. First they were forced to the back of the room and then eventually denied a table at all. The sealing machine produces a loud piercing screech. >>

Yep, I have heard their screech machine before as well.
  • Options
    High intensity/high frequency soundwaves can also shatter glass, if the pitch is high enough. Now that's image
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536

<< <i>The sound emitted from such devices isn't particularly lound, but it is so high pitched that it almost hurts to hear it IF you can hear it (think dog whistle). >>

I find dog whistles to be very loud and quite annoying.
  • Options
    Maybe I can get a job in the sealing room. I don't hear anything above 4KHz! When I was growing up, it was not widely known that shooting firearms causes cumulative hearing impairment. Funny though, I can still hear my wifes screeching and thats way above 4KHz. I guess when your talking 150 decibles, all bets are off!
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options

<< <i>Anyone know who the three graders are?---------BigE >>

Contoursi, Hall, and Dorkarl. image
  • Options

<< <i>Anyone know who the three graders are?---------BigE >>

It's the pep boys! (larry curly and moe) The auto parts industry hasn't been very good to them and they have been forced to take other jobs in a perpetually black and white world.
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who know binary and those who don't.
  • Options
    I thought I'd share this pic for an old 1998 "COINage" magazine I just unearthed

• Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345
    Man, that 's got to be one of the most boring jobs in the world.
  • Options
    F117ASRF117ASR Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭
    I wonder how much the workers make in a year
    Beware of the flying monkeys!
    Aerospace Structures Engineer
  • Options
    badgerbadger Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭
    We use ultrasonic welding in our operations. The ultrasonic horn vibrates at high frequency and rubs the plastic parts together. The friction at the localized contact points cause the plastic to melt and weld. This is done without increasing the overall temperature of the part. The high pitched sound comes from the vibrating horn - like a tuning fork gone beserk.
    Collector of Modern Silver Proofs 1950-1964 -- PCGS Registry as Elite Cameo

Link to 1950 - 1964 Proof Registry Set
    1938 - 1964 Proof Jeffersons w/ Varieties
  • Options
    knowing from my past work experience, I can see where maybe the new spots and toning can come from. If you resonate any material, any foriegn material that is either statically (ie electrically) or adhered (via moisture,oil,or liquid substance) would vibrate at an entirely different rate causing either relocation or dislodging the foriegn material from the parent substance and moving it to a different location in the "sealed environment". Wouldn't this cause new toning or new carbon spots to show after the coin has been sealed? Not to mention the amount of detris,dust,lint.....etc. that would be encapsulated with the coin. It isn't a "white room" environment, but could explain a lot of the post-sealed errors that may occur.

Just my .02
    This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.
  • Options

<< <i>I wonder how much the workers make in a year >>

$250,000/year. This has been discussed before.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file