Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A Mother's Day Coin Story--2003

RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
Last year, I planned a very special Mother's Day surprise for my wife. I bought her the diamond earrings she had always wanted and planned to take her and my then 1 1/2 and 4 year old children to a very elegant brunch.

When we all were awake, I sprang the diamonds on her, and she was very pleasantly surprised, if not shocked. Then, she and I set about getting ready and getting the kids ready for the surprise outing. Our baby girl took some extra time getting dressed and subsequently my wife needed a bit extra time, so I was (as usual) ready to go before she was and had some time to kill. Like this year, Mother's Day fell on the weekend of the Central States show. I surfed over to Doug Winter's website to see if he had yet listed his newps. Turns out, DW had been up late the night before or working early that morning updating his inventory. I almost breezed right past it, and, since it had been quite a while since DW had carried early gold on the website, I thought it a typo. Lo and behold, in the online inventory, there was a beautiful, original AU-55 1803/2 half eagle! Since a boy, I had admired the capped bust right design more than any other regular mint issue (of any metal or denomination). I looked around, and my wife still getting ready. I shot off an email to DW. He responded almost immediately, and within a few minutes, just before we left for brunch, I had purchased the coin.

The rest of the day went beautifully. We all enjoyed the brunch. When we returned home afterward, my wife declared that this was the best Mother's Day ever. I had to agree. image

P.S. Faster than you can say "Dahlonega" and before the coin arrived at my home, the earrings were upgraded to twice the value of the coin. image

And here's a photo of my icon coin, known as the "Mother's Day Half Eagle":

Comments

• Options
    kieferscoinskieferscoins Posts: 10,017
    Neat story and nice coinimage

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    great story image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    Very nice story.......image
    JoeCool
  • Options
    DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    Robert,

Great story and a truly wise decision to upgrade the earrings before the coin arrived, but I do wonder how you presented it:

"Hi honey, once I saw the earrings on you, I decided they weren't nice enough, so I went out and bought a replacement set that's a little larger and has better color and clarity."

"Oh, and by the way, I bought a little coin over the weekend, too!"

Check out the Southern Gold Society

• Options
    DaveG,

It went more like:

Wife: "Honey, I took the earrings back to the jewelery store and got these bigger ones instead. And they are certified!".

Me: "Oh. I am sorry for buying the "raw" diamonds."

(No need to mention anything about the coin at any time, right?)
  • Options
    JrGMan2004JrGMan2004 Posts: 7,557
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    Robert,

Surely you don't expect me to believe that!

A. Who would believe that you tried to pawn off uncertified diamonds on your wife? (Unless, of course, you gave the [first] certified pair to your girlfriend by mistake.)

B. Who would believe that your wife is unsophisticated enough to be simply impressed by size? (Unless, of course, she just didn't tell you that she upgraded color and clarity as well as size.)

• Options
    Well, Dave, I must admit that I was surprised that she was willing to wear that big plastic slab on her ears. (obviously kidding)
    I actually did not know that you could buy certified diamonds. Maybe there is a certified diamond message board where I can tell my story, from the perspective of the diamonds, of course!

As for size and the upgrade, I do not know the details of the size/color/clarity upgrade of the diamonds any more than she has any inkling of the "Mother's Day Half Eagle." Sometimes, it is better not to know.

(I hope you had a good trip image)
  • Options
    Robert,

Finally the Truth comes out!

(We had a great trip, thanks. Good weather in Maine, yummy lobster and Pricess Goldilocks found one of the colleges acceptable!)

• Options
    Who would believe that your wife is unsophisticated enough to be simply impressed by size? (Unless, of course, she just didn't tell you that she upgraded color and clarity as well as size.)

Dave,

If you would like, I will post a picture of the diamonds. "Honey, please come over here and place your ear on the scanner..."
  • Options
    What, and give her secret away?

Shirley, you jest!

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey Robert

you have set a dangerous precedent. i mean, really, after the upgrade on the earings how will you top the 3/2 this year??

al h.image
  • Options

<< <i>Who would believe that your wife is unsophisticated enough to be simply impressed by size? (Unless, of course, she just didn't tell you that she upgraded color and clarity as well as size.)

Dave,

If you would like, I will post a picture of the diamonds. "Honey, please come over here and place your ear on the scanner..." >>

Just take a pic of her wearing them!

Cameron Kiefer

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file