Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Post a coin that was dipped and has since retoned.

The chemicals used to dip a silver coin, strip a very thin layer of the silver from its skin. Unfortunately the copper in the alloy does not follow. This leaves a skin on the coin that is more concentrated in copper than before. The stripped skin that is copper rich almost invariably retones a golden brown or golden amber color.

The below coin is a very obvious example of a coin that was previously dipped and has turned. The color is very typical of a conserved coin that has begun to retone. It is just my opinion that even "properly" conserved coins, given enough time and the right environmental exposure run the risk of oxidation even in the best holders. Many will not turn if done properly, but I think it's a difficult thing to predict.

Post a dipped coin that has turned so that we can see what these coins look like.

Comments

• Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you posted a great example from what I can see. I must admit I'm glad you got out of these.
    And I must also admit I think I might have had something to do with "Converting" you. Enjoy the hobby guy.image
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    tsacchtsacch Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
    NOt if dipped in acetone......................right?? I have never dipped, so I am still learning........your talking a different dip i assume
    Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.
  • Options
    Weak acids are usually used to conserve haze or light toning from a coins surface. The acids are responsible for removing silver from a coin's skin. Acetone is good for removing gunk like PVC from a coins surface because of it's organic, solvent properties. Acetone, however is not as efficient at removing most toning and haze as an acid. It is also not nearly as reactive to the surface of the coin. A coin conserved in acetone could still retone more like an unconserved coin. A coin conserved in an acid dip stands a poorer chance.
  • Options
    NOt if dipped in acetone......................right??

You are correct, not acetone. Referring to something more along the lines of

Realtime National Debt Clock:

• Options
    bump, good topic
  • Options
    EvilMCTEvilMCT Posts: 799 ✭✭✭
    Wow, an educational thread. Here's something you don't see everyday and I agree; nice topic. It took me awhile to notice the difference between dipped/retoned coins and originals for some series.

Ken
    my knuckles, they bleed, on your front door
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    For the record, I oppose dipping. That's all I'll say for now.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have any "before and after" photos, but here are two "after" examples.

This 1830 half dime was bright white when I bought it over 10 years ago. A year or so later it turned to this color, and it's remained the same since then. Everybody makes mistakesk, and this is one of mine. The toning is not attractive, and some day I might replace this piece. It is currently in an NGC MS-63 holder.

This 1873 with arrows quarter was also bright white when I purchased it. Subsequently it has toned to this brown color. I don't mind this one as much. As a matter of fact as 1873 with arrows quarters go, this one is quite attractive. A lot of these coins have really ugly reverses, which stem I think from dies that were pushed beyond their usage limits or dies that were not re-polished frequently enough. This coin is in an NGC AU-58. I thought that I got hosed on this a bit. I thought that the coin should have been an MS-62 or so.

The lesson here? Chances are if a coin that is dated from the early 20th century or before is bright white and shows no toning AND it's NOT a Morgan silver dollar, it's been dipped. If it's been dipped and it's not been properly rinsed afterwards, it will tone quickly. If it has been properly rinsed, the chances are very good that it will still tone, but much more slowly. The reason is the the virgin metal that has been exposed with react with the atmosphere. Original coins build up a shield that will not change much over a peroid of many years.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    HadleydogHadleydog Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭
    Great thread, Oldcameoproofsguy! image
  • Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    two thumbs up for a good threadimage
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An coin I used to own that has retoned VERY nicely!!

• Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    Ex-bagger. You can see still the textile pattern on the face. No I didn't do it.

Classic dip retone. I didn't do that one either.

Former ANACS 62, now PCGS 63.
    It was light brown & lackluster from an old dip when I got it so I cracked & dipped it to clean it up and got a 63 on it. It quickly turned gold again, but my scanner makes it look lots darker than it really is. Is really very very light gold colored.

Former NGC 64, now PCGS 64.
    I cracked it and tried to get the black off the rev but it was too dark. The center cleaned up white but quickly retoned.

Former NGC 64 DPL, now PCGS 64 DMPL.
    I did this about 5 years ago trying to get rid of the black spot. The black spot was a piece slag & quickly retoned.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    Great question!

Some of the above coins could have been sold to me as "attractive, originally toned" coins, and I wouldn't have known the difference. That kind of thing probably happens all of the time. I'm looking forward to seeing even more pictures.

Dan
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    The next ones are not my coins & I never saw them in person but I'll bet you 1,000 to 1 they are dipped:

<<<Generally untoned with a good strike overall. A few small marks are seen on the obverse and the luster is too subdued for a finer grade.>>>
    imageimage

<<<Light yellow-green patina hugs the borders of this sharply struck Choice proof Half.>>>
    imageimage

<<<A light film of gold and blue coloration is found over the deeply mirrored fields that accentuate the frosty gold-colored design elements. This specimen is a gorgeous proof that is blemish-free.>>>
    imageimage

<<<A stunningly beautiful, untoned specimen that boasts admirable technical merits in addition to its stark cameo contrast. Proofs from this year often possess this attribute, but the outstanding Half offered here shows it off better than most.>>>
    imageimage
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    nankrautnankraut Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭
    Very informative thread; thanks for all who participated.image
    I'm the Proud recipient of a genuine "you suck" award dated 1/24/05. I was accepted into the "Circle of Trust" on 3/9/09.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the images, everyone!

Dog97, I remember you saying once that you had a Morgan that had turned in the holder.

Here's one that I sold that had begun to really turn. Sometimes the golden color isn't too destracting but in this case it really was. The brownish color was starting to really haze over the fields.

• Options
    You shout in your sleep.
    Perhaps the price is just too steep.
    Is your conscience at rest if once put to the test?
    You awake with a start to just the beating of your heart.
    Just one man beneath the sky,
    Just two ears, just two eyes.
  • Options
    GonfunkoGonfunko Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭
    Well, ANACS said this was recolored...does that count?
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    " The chemicals used to dip a silver coin, strip a very thin layer of the silver from its skin. Unfortunately the copper in the alloy does not follow. This leaves a skin on the coin that is more concentrated in copper than before. The stripped skin that is copper rich almost invariably retones a golden brown or golden amber color."

Where did you hear that ?
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    islemanguislemangu Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭
    Great thread....Just say No to consverdippingimage
    YCCTidewater.com
  • Options
    I've read in several places that dipping coins causes a "leaching effect" of the copper in a silver-copper alloy Link. After a little more extensive research, I don't think that there is sufficient proof that this is the case.

It makes sence that the chemical makeup of the coin is altered on the skin. Silver sulfite (the oxidized part of the skin that causes toning) does not form the same way on a dipped coin. The copper theory makes sense to me, but I admit after a little more research, that it could be wrong.

I'm sorry for stating that as fact without checking to make sure of it's validity.
  • Options
    TUMUSSTUMUSS Posts: 2,207
  • Options
    RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    PCGS readily concedes many coins are dipped and will willingly grade them as market acceptable provided they have not been harshly dipped or harmed ... they would be out of business if they started body bagging all those blast white Morgans and type coins that remain amazingly untoned after all these years. No less than David Hall himself is leading a seminar on the proper "cleaning" of coins ...
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am stunned!!!...and obviously have MUCH to learn. I thought graders such as PCGS... could tell that a coin had been dipped and would NOT holder it. >>

There is "market acceptable" dipping. Telling what is and isn't is the fun part image
  • Options
    I concur with several sentiments above that this thread was educational. I never do anything to a coin -- acetone, jewelry cleaner, or anything else -- unless there is OBVIOUS PVC damage. Then, IMO, the proper way of removing the damaged area is to use a cotton Q-tip, dab it on, rinse it off with water, and pat dry it with a soft towel (to minimize scratching). This will generally not affect the toning or the rest of the coin. In general, I don't touch a coin no matter what. Furthermore, I do not agree with the NCS "conservation" service. IMO, this ruins coins most of the time.
    Author of MrKelso's official cheat thread words of wisdom on 5/30/04. image
    imageimage
    Check out a Vanguard Roth IRA.
  • Options
    i haven't dipped coins, but i had coins returned to me by pcgs as "cleaned" - one is an otherwise gorgeous isabella quarter, which does seem to have a "flat" tone and based on this discussion it seems that the coin was dipped but still might be highly sought. i even actually considered handling the coin every day hoping that minimal hand wear and oils would either replace the "unnatural" "flat" tone with a more natural tone, or at least diminish the "flat" tone (is that an absurd thought)? anybody recommend some reading material (particularly something on-line), about dipping and acetone - seems a crucial topic for high-end coins!
  • Options
    NumismanicNumismanic Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    This is the 1892 Proof 10c I used to own - on its second retone I think. I am MUCH happier with the 10c I have now. This brown and the way it lies on the coin is typical of retoned silver.

Billy image

1892 PCGS PR63CAM
  • Options
    MercMerc Posts: 1,646 ✭✭
    Excellent posting. Thanks to all who gave examples of retoned coins.

Can people also show coins that have been damaged by dipping? I've seen some where the acid dip removes the origional toning only to leave behind a white etching into the coin's surface.
    Looking for a coin club in Maryland? Try:
    FrederickCoinClub
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    Top image is when I owned it as a PCGS MS65 in a green holder, bottom pic is when it was offered by Heritage at the same grade but in a new blue holder. The flyspecks in the obverse field, among other things, is what convinces me it's the same coin that had a bad reaction to a dip. I'm sure it didn't look like that when PCGS graded it the second time.

• Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    I suspect this one was dipped at one point, though perhaps lightly as it doesn't seem to have dulled much or lost much luster. I just think a 112-year-old Barber coin this white, as nice as it generally is and as strong as the luster is, has probably been dipped (and if so, either retoning or the remnants of an incomplete dipping are still seen around the rim, primarily on the obverse).

imageimage
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    super thread

michael
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great thread deserves a bump to the top.
    I bought this Buffalo nickel on Feb-16-2004 from DLRC.
    Sep-06-2005, it has now retoned very nicely. In hand it has target toning.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file